You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drag image > Places metadata text only, No image

When I drag an image from a catalog file onto an Afpub page then it places no image but a textframe instead, with content like this ...

<TransferItems Version="1.0" Type="DragDrop">
<TransferItem> <File Path="/Volumes/Daten 2/CANON/A-Z/z_shop .../shop _ BILDER/CITY/DIV city/150430_ot_1505_f1.jpg"/> <XMPData> <![CDATA[ <?xpacket begin=" " id="W5M0MpCehiHzreSzNTczkc9d"?> <x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="Public XMP Toolkit Core 4.0">    <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
(...)
<?xpacket end="w"?>]]>
</XMPData>
<ApplicationData>
</ApplicationData>
</TransferItem>
</TransferItems>

It happens with or without previous picture frame, selected or not.
I do not get this occurrence when I move to applications other than AfPub, such as ID or some RTF text editors.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

When you say "catalog file" is this from a web browser or some other Application? The Mac OS has a weird way of dealing with some Drag and Drop situations, this seems like it is only selecting the information and not the image, or actual file. And I am guessing it is a network drive called "Daten 2" which may be part of the problem.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

It's "Expression Media"/"Media Pro" (my catalog app for 15 yrs). I never experienced a drag & drop issue before AfPub. What do you remind with "weird way of dealing" in macOS?

The volume "Daten 2" isn't network but build-in in my laptop on a different disk than system and apps. Never had problems this way, too.

I can get the same unwanted drag&drop result if I drag an image in a .txt document (whereas it works with a .rtf ).

Okay, you found a bug. Now we have to wait.

When you drag the image from the catalogue file do you see the little green + icon?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

do you see the little green + icon?

Yes, as usual, including the light image preview underneath the green + symbol.

By the way, I can ctrl-click with the filled cursor over a image frame to place the image inside: that makes its context menu appear but with "Paste" and "Paste as Content" grayed-out.
If I then release the mouse the unwanted text frame gets placed again (like with no image frame selected).

Also interesting: I can copy/paste from the catalog preview both as image or inside an existing image frame. That means the image which is linked behind the catalogs preview can be read by AfPub, it just does not on drag/drop.    UPDATE: via copy/paste I get the image in small preview size only - AND as embedded only.

• Staff

Hi both,

Thanks for spotting this. However,  Expression Media and Media Pro have both been discontinued and replaced by CaptureOne. Even if I wanted to replicate it, there is no place to download them anymore.

Can you replicate this using Capture One or any other software?

Fixing a bug caused by a software that's been discontinued for 10 years is probably not a priority. If this would happen with any drag-drop from any source, it would surely be a priority. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.