You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer – linking images rather than embedding

I think I came across a thread here somewhere that stated the ability to link images was implemented in beta 1.7.x

Now 1.7 is out but I can't find it anywhere. Am I missing something obvious or did this rather useful feature not make it?
If not are there any plans to make this happen soon?

I generally like Designer a lot, but having the ability to just link images and thereby keeping file sizes down would be great.
Freehand had this feature since the early 90s ;)

AFAIK, linking is a feature only of Affinity Publisher, currently still in beta but due for release on or about June 19.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 6/10/2019 at 12:26 PM, R C-R said:

AFAIK, linking is a feature only of Affinity Publisher, currently still in beta but due for release on or about June 19.

Well, I wasn't imagining it…  it works exactly as Walt describes: 

1. select image
  2. press the "Replace Image" button in the toolbar
  3. in the file dialog click "Options" and choose to embed instead of linking

I just tried it and the file size plummeted as expected.
What I can't find anywhere though is a setting in preferences to make linking the default.

Anyway it looks like we're getting there :)

This is on Mac, AD 1.7.0

Edited by Martin-S

You are correct that the Replace Image hack is the only way to do this in Designer at present.

Hopefully the Resource Manager will make its  way into Designer at some point.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

28 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

You are correct that the Replace Image hack is the only way to do this in Designer at present.

That hack is a bug that is logged to be fixed.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

45 minutes ago, Martin-S said:

Anyway it look like we're getting there :)

I only just noticed the "Options" button, so thanks for that!

But from what I can tell, this only works with Placed or dragged & dropped images -- items that appear in the Layers panel with the "(Image)" suffix. It doesn't seem to work with embedded files (Affinity, PDF, etc.) The Layers panel says it is a Linked Document, but when I click the "Edit Document" button, the tab that opens says "<embedded>" in the title bar, & changes made there don't seem to update the original document. :(

20 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

That hack is a bug that is logged to be fixed.

Any idea if the fix will completely remove the hack or (hopefully) just fix whatever issue the bug causes?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

28 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Any idea if the fix will completely remove the hack or (hopefully) just fix whatever issue the bug causes?

Presumably it would remove the Link/Embed buttons in that dialog, as Designer and Photo are not supposed to be able to create documents with Linked files (from what we've been told by Serif).

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

12 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Presumably it would remove the Link/Embed buttons in that dialog, as Designer and Photo are not supposed to be able to create documents with Linked files (from what we've been told by Serif).

Your presumption is probably correct, but I can't help wondering what they will do if "Edit in Designer" is implemented in Affinity Publisher (presumably for single pages), meaning Designer must at least handle linked files ... somehow ... I think.

I guess we will know more after 19 June.

Affinity Photo 

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

Your presumption is probably correct, but I can't help wondering what they will do if "Edit in Designer" is implemented in Affinity Publisher (presumably for single pages), meaning Designer must at least handle linked files ... somehow ... I think.

I guess we will know more after 19 June.

I agree. Of course, though Designer needs to be able to handle linked files, Serif might decide it doesn't need to be able to create documents containing them, nor be able to change embedded files to linked, etc.

I think that Edit in Designer already works in Publisher, by the way :)

-- Walt
PC:

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I think that Edit in Designer already works in Publisher, by the way :)

It does not with the current Mac Publisher public beta. This is what I get when I try that:
460062071_failedtolaunch.jpg.1bac9e964a86219709b905e87c10f1cc.jpg

Affinity Photo