You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Master Pages: General Question: Bug or Desired?

I'm working a lot with master pages. In the past, I was creating different master spreads for book layouts, such as chapter start, book page, illustration page, etc. 

I was used to apply only one side of a master spread (left or right) to a design, because for example it happens often to have a chapter start on the left, continuing with a normal book page on the right.

If I choose "new page" from a master, click "1 page", the correct page appears in the design. If I do the same with the other half of the spread, but applying another master to it, it seem to work correctly too (Screenshot 1).

However, on a closer look it appears I have overlapping frames from both masters (Screenshot 2) although I only generated one page from each.

Looking at the layers view (Screenshot 3) it shows: Even if I only apply one page of a master, the second page of the master spread is applied too. This is vise versa for the second master page applied. In other words, the result is two overlapping masters, with doubled page numbers, overlapping text frames, etc.

Question: Is this a bug or is it supposed to work this way? If last is the case, this would mean a lot more efforts, because only complete master spreads can be applied, which requires to generate a lot more master pages to meet the design needs (One masterpage each for: Chapter start left, chapter start right, chapter end left, chapter end right, illustration left and chapter start right ... etc. etc.)

Can somebody comment on that observation?

Greetings,

Thomas from Germany.

master3.jpg

master4.jpg

spread.jpg

For now it sounds you haven't get yet the max of the master page abilities in AfPub.

Be aware that
– you can assign more than 1 master to a document page
– you can assign masters to pages or/and to spreads

Just go for a walk through the various context-, pulldown- and pop-up- menus, for instance ...

717779115_master-define1.jpg.b2c5b190ff3a5721a78380137c9e2d0d.jpg  152498287_master-define2.jpg.3126dcaab0385a511067730dddb633d2.jpg

1963880697_master-assign1.jpg.8f5b9356c8a3c70734b79cf413d19c85.jpg   262271474_master-assign2.jpg.79cac723ced0325d4fa661081569d5c1.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

3 hours ago, Thomas Rabenstein said:

Looking at the layers view (Screenshot 3) it shows: Even if I only apply one page of a master, the second page of the master spread is applied too. This is vise versa for the second master page applied. In other words, the result is two overlapping masters, with doubled page numbers, overlapping text frames, etc.

I am away from my machine with Publisher on it so this is off the top of my head.

What you have in screen shot 3 are two pages with two Master Pages. To check whether or not each Master is applied to both pages (which is what you don't want to have if I read correctly) Right click on the Master Page A layer and choose Edit Detached. Just select some of the layers and see what is selected on the page. Do this for both Master Layers, Master A and Chapterstart. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 hours ago, thomaso said:

For now it sounds you haven't get yet the max of the master page abilities in AfPub.

Be aware that
– you can assign more than 1 master to a document page
– you can assign masters to pages or/and to spreads

Just go for a walk through the various context-, pulldown- and pop-up- menus, for instance ...

Thank you much for your reply and helpful hints.

I was lead by wrong assumption in this case, thinking Publisher does recognize it automatically, if I apply a master just to a single document page. I'll have a closer look now.

Greetings,

Thomas

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I am away from my machine with Publisher on it so this is off the top of my head.

What you have in screen shot 3 are two pages with two Master Pages. To check whether or not each Master is applied to both pages (which is what you don't want to have if I read correctly) Right click on the Master Page A layer and choose Edit Detached. Just select some of the layers and see what is selected on the page. Do this for both Master Layers, Master A and Chapterstart. 

Thank you much for your answer. I will check this in depth tonight and appreciate your quick reply.

Have a great sunday.

Thomas