You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to use .TVL templates with Affinity Designer?

Hello everyone,

Can you please help me with the following problem?

I just bought templates from the Serif Affinity Store for Designer. Those templates are in ".TVL" format. I searched but cannot find anything about how to use these templates. I am using Affinity Designer 1.7 for Windows.

Can you please tell me how to use these .TVL files so I can use the templates.

Thank you very much for your help, which is truly appreciated.

Have a nice day.

Chris

Hi again,

I looked up the ".TVL" format but found out that it has to do with paying American taxes. I came to the website of Intuit TurboTax but didn't seem to have what I am looking for.

I am wondering why those people use the ".TVL" format to distribute templates for Affinity Designer.

The templates I bought are :
iconic-templates-affinity-designer
emblem-templates-affinity-designer

If I need another application on Windows to do something with these files, please can you recommend one which does not bundleware?

Thank you very much for your help.

Chris

I had to do some searching for this, and I think TVL stands for The Vector Lab, which is where the templates Affinity Designer comes from. I tried locating the templates you described but could not find them on Serif's store or The Vector Lab's store.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

That's strange, try adding the .afdesign extension.

(iconic-templates-affinity-designer.zip pack unzip as 01-ICONIC-TVL.afdesign to 24-ICONIC-TVL.afdesign here.)

[edit] And be carefull on Windows,  to delete the __MACOSX folder that contains only files begining by "._" + "file_name" and are only text files with data about the real file for the OS X finder). [/edit]

When you purchase from the Serif Affinity Store, usually you have a Download button that will deliver the file(s) to your computer, and you have a viewable (or downloadable) installation guide with instructions. Sometimes, if the files come as a .zip, there will also be an installation guide within the .zip file.

You might return to the Store, sign in, and look in your Downloads and Product Keys where you should also be able to find the installation guide. The second one has some videos.

But Wosven is right, those template files are .afdesign files, with names like

image.png.9d4bd42e99bc2885813d7b08a7d28eb6.png

If you're on Windows do you have your system configured to show file extensions?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello everyone,

Thank you all who replied and helped me out. I appreciate your input and you solved my problem.

Because "TVL" was the last word, I expected it to be the extension. So I looked in the wrong way. Like Walt assumed, the extensions showing was off. A month ago I reformatted and installed Windows 7 again and did not select the option to show the extensions.

I already successfully opened a template so everything is working fine.

The Affinity community full of friendly and helpful people and I like to be around here very much.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2019 at 1:09 PM, Bad_Wolf said:

Hello everyone,

Thank you all who replied and helped me out. I appreciate your input and you solved my problem.

Because "TVL" was the last word, I expected it to be the extension. So I looked in the wrong way. Like Walt assumed, the extensions showing was off. A month ago I reformatted and installed Windows 7 again and did not select the option to show the extensions.

I already successfully opened a template so everything is working fine.

The Affinity community full of friendly and helpful people and I like to be around here very much.

Chris

I'm having the same problem insomuch as I can't import them but can open them from explorer in AD?

• 1 year later...

I am looking at the same files, I am wondering how I can view these files as the only way i can see them is to select one and it comes up as a new document. I would like to be able to see what they are before opening. At the moment they are in a folder on my desktop.

Regards Ed

7 hours ago, Uncle Ed said:

I am looking at the same files, I am wondering how I can view these files as the only way i can see them is to select one and it comes up as a new document. I would like to be able to see what they are before opening. At the moment they are in a folder on my desktop.

On Windows:

1. Selecting small, medium, large, or extra-large icons in File Explorer works for me.
  2. Or turning on the Preview panel in File Explorer.

On either Mac or Windows, XnViewMP should display them, if properly configured.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...

I'm super late to this particular thread, but I found you when I was trying to follow the guide to adding templates manually into Designer.

I may have committed a terrible sin, but I have just renamed the suffix on all of them from afdesign to aftemplate and then added the windows folder into the "New Document" template section. They all seem to show up fine from the tool now.

Martin