You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop Issue

Anytime I crop even when not actually cropping in just cutting off a little form the top and bottom for Instagram it degrades and pixelates my photo horribly. 

I have also lost my ability to drag and drop a picture from photos right into Affinity.

• Staff
On 6/9/2019 at 7:47 AM, CKC Studios said:

Anytime I crop even when not actually cropping in just cutting off a little form the top and bottom for Instagram it degrades and pixelates my photo horribly. 

I have also lost my ability to drag and drop a picture from photos right into Affinity.

Hey CKC Studios, welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

What crop settings are you using? Does it even matter? It seems OK for me but I may be missing something.

I don't seem to have an issue dragging from Photos. I don't get any kind of cursor change to suggest I can drop it into Affinity but it works...

• 2 months later...

Hello Chris B

When I drag and drop a picture from my Photos app over to Affinity on my iMac I get a notification in the top right corner saying "Photo Exported with Lower Image Quality" "Export to disk to maintain full image quality"

I never had this problem before but as of about one year ago just after a OS update it stopped working.

When I do it and ignore the notification the picture is such terrible quality it is completely unusable.

• Staff
2 hours ago, CKC Studios said:

I never had this problem before but as of about one year ago just after a OS update it stopped working.

I've just checked in 1.6 build and I still get the same message. I don't notice a massive difference in quality though. What OS were/are you on and what did it update to? It definitely sounds more specific to OS or a Photos update than something we've done :S 

• Staff

Hi CKC Studios,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
When you drag an image directly from Apple Photos to Affinity, the image is downsampled and converted to JPG (same happens with other apps) - thus the inferior quality you are seeing. Select the image in Apple Photos and go to menu File > Export > Export Unmodified Original For 1 Photo. This will export the image in the original format/quality to the disk, then open it in Affinity Photo as usual for editing.

Alternatively you can use the Affinity Photo extension in Apple Photos to send the image directly to Affinity Photo. Double-click the image's thumbnail in Apple Photos to see it in full-screen there, click the Edit button on the top right of the interface, click the Ellipsis icon and select Edit in Affinity Photo extension.The image will be sent as is to Affinity Photo. Edit it in Affinity Photo as you usually do, then close the image in Affinity (File > Close), click the Save button in the next dialog and the edited image will be sent back to Apple Photos.

12 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi CKC Studios,
When you drag an image directly from Apple Photos to Affinity, the image is downsampled and converted to JPG (same happens with other apps) - thus the inferior quality you are seeing. Select the image in Apple Photos and go to menu File > Export > Export Unmodified Original For 1 Photo. This will export the image in the original format/quality to the disk, then open it in Affinity Photo as usual for editing.

Alternatively you can use the Affinity Photo extension in Apple Photos to send the image directly to Affinity Photo. Double-click the image's thumbnail in Apple Photos to see it in full-screen there, click the Edit button on the top right of the interface, click the Ellipsis icon and select Edit in Affinity Photo extension.The image will be sent as is to Affinity Photo. Edit it in Affinity Photo as you usually do, then close the image in Affinity (File > Close), click the Save button in the next dialog and the edited image will be sent back to Apple Photos.

Thanks MEB,

Yes that is what I have been doing. Right click and choose edit with Affinity Photo and that works fine.

Was just hoping to get my drag and drop back.

Thanks again.

• 4 months later...
On 8/13/2019 at 2:38 AM, MEB said:

Hi CKC Studios,

Just checking in to see if this process has been streamlined for a quicker export of RAW photos from Apple Photos into Affinity?

Would like a quicker option from the above mentioned options.

Option #1 of exporting an unmodified copy from Photos to the desktop and then in Affinity is a little annoying. 'Too many steps"

Option #2 modifies the original file which I do not want. I like to save the RAW originals. I also tried this option and tried to save it as an afphoto.file which worked even though the "save as" option was not available but I can not find where it was actually saved to. it says it was saved as an Apple Photos Document but I can't find it anywhere.

Thank you