You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Files created in previous version not printing correctly in version 1.7.0.367

I loaded a file created in Affinity Designer Version 1.6.5.123 into the latest version 1.7.0.367. When  I printed the 6 page document, whole pages where printing dark grey (almost black), some pages OK,  and some graphic elements totally distorted. By distorted I mean the line weight was altered, from a .5pt line to a much thicker line when printed. Another thing that stood out, was, in the Print dialog the preview was displayed in a red shade. Is this a feature or a bug? I would prefer to see the preview in the colours as created in the document. Has the current version changed so much that previously created document may not print correctly?

Print Dialog AD.jpg

Edited by Steven Casey
Added image to clarify

• Staff

Hi Steven Casey,

Would you be able to attach a copy of the file you are printing please so we can test this on our end. Could you attach a copy of the file that is causing this please? The red shade is intended to inform you that your document is too big to fit to what your printer paper settings are set to. However there is a known issue that this isn't being switched off when you're Fit Type is set to Scale.

• Staff

Thank you very much for the file. I've printed it out and none of the pages were printing dark grey for me, however I was getting the issues with the line weight. I'll get this passed on to development.

Thanks again for letting us know.

Hi Sean P,

I did some tests and determined the following. 

In the print dialog to print my file, I had to do the following.

In the model property box select Tiled or N-up. This avoids the red screen.

In the layers panel, I did the following.

for the Blend mode: select Screen or Multiply or Colour Burn (possibly other modes). This prints everything correctly without distortions.

I'm not sure this is how it was intended, but it works.

Steve Casey

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:31 PM, Sean P said:

I don't believe so! Do you have some photos of the printouts that you could attach please, along with information on what printer and drivers you're using, along with the print dialog settings?

Hi Sean,

please see attached images of printouts.

Printer HL-2142

DPI 300

In Print Dialog:

Profile = Custom ( default setting )

Range - Artboards

Pages = ( default setting none )

Fit Type = Scale

Include = All Sheets

Orientation = Automatic

Blend Mode = Normal

In Layers Panel

Blend mode = Normal

Resulting in printouts as below.

Setting the print model to Tiled or N-up removed the red preview screen ( there's more than one Artboard).

Setting the blend mode to Multiply or Colour Burn ( or possibly anything other than normal) removes the black printouts and distorted lines.

Steve

AD print out - normal settings.jpg

Page 1 Bulldog AD normal settings.jpg

I am having the exact same problem with printing. Things look fine on screen, but when printing some shapes get all whacked out. It's happened on every file I've tried that was created in the previous version. It has even happened on a file I recreated from scratch in the new version.Capture.thumb.JPG.e0922dce6a6fe741a3e9851d00031d32.JPG

12 hours ago, Bob Cazzell said:

I am having the exact same problem with printing. Things look fine on screen, but when printing some shapes get all whacked out. It's happened on every file I've tried that was created in the previous version. It has even happened on a file I recreated from scratch in the new version.Capture.thumb.JPG.e0922dce6a6fe741a3e9851d00031d32.JPG

In the layers panel select the 'Screen' blend mode or try other blend modes as a temporary work around. The default blend mode is 'Normal', but seems to distort shapes and lines as in my example. Setting blend mode to screen worked for my printing issue. Hope it works for you. Although it's not a permanent solution.

On 6/12/2019 at 5:58 AM, Steven Casey said:

Hi Sean P,

I did some tests and determined the following. 

In the print dialog to print my file, I had to do the following.

In the model property box select Tiled or N-up. This avoids the red screen.

In the layers panel, I did the following.

for the Blend mode: select Screen or Multiply or Colour Burn (possibly other modes). This prints everything correctly without distortions.

I'm not sure this is how it was intended, but it works.

Steve Casey

I can confirm.   My files created by the previous version of AFDesignher were printed with black background. 
What  Steve Casey suggested  (setting Model to Tiled  AND  Layers to Screen  )  solves the problem.   The actual cause of what  happened is subject for research for your developers but till it is fixed  this Steve's method is a good workarond for everybody who has this problem. 
Thank you, Steve!

Yeah, that worked. Setting the affected layers to screen, darken, or lighten depending on the layer enabled me to print the files correctly. I also noticed that it seems to happen on copies of shapes but not the original shape itself. At least so far.

• 5 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Print dialog isn't removing the red overlay on a scaled image) of the program in the latest beta release of Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer on Windows. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below. Once Affinity Publisher has been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update to all customers.

The 1.8.0 beta builds are in links at the top of these beta forum posts

unfortunately the other problem "Stroke width being printed incorrectly on rotated objects" has not yet been fixed

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

We have also now made fixes/improvements to printing rotated strokes on Windows in the latest customer beta. Sorry this issue has taken so long to get resolved properly. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon