You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Window Zoom Resize

I think this has been requested before, but want to make another request b/c I think its very important for workflows in a professional design environment.

Coming from PS, I like to work in multiple windows to make iterations. PS has a feature in preferences called "Zoom Resizes Window" So when I zoom in and out of canvas using Cntrl +/- the window size adjusts with it. This makes working with multiple windows so much easier and more fluid. 

58 minutes ago, smibrand said:

I think this has been requested before, but want to make another request b/c I think its very important for workflows in a professional design environment.

Coming from PS, I like to work in multiple windows to make iterations. PS has a feature in preferences called "Zoom Resizes Window" So when I zoom in and out of canvas using Cntrl +/- the window size adjusts with it. This makes working with multiple windows so much easier and more fluid. 

Adding to that:

• there's no option to open files in floating windows by default
  • if you have a single document open in a floating window, and open another, it is added as a tab in that window - i.e. it doesn't open as separate floating window. My thinking would be that if you have documents open in floating windows and open another document, it should be assumed that you want it floating as well (separately).
  • I'm really missing the Photoshop "CTRL-SPACE" / "ALT-CTRL-SPACE" combination that temporarily puts you into a zoom in/out mode, which is really handy when you're working on details - you return automatically to the previously selected tool after your zoom operation. Affinity has already implemented the corresponding "SPACEBAR = temporary pan-viewport" operation, so it's weird that they didn't emulate the zooming counterpart, as the two functions work together to allow fast navigation without having to switch tools.

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2019 at 9:47 AM, AndyQ said:

Adding to that:

• there's no option to open files in floating windows by default

I see I'm wrong there, or maybe it's a 1.7 feature, but there is a preference setting to open new documents as floating windows. However there are some other "floating window" gripes I've got now that I've bought the suite and am trying to use it on some projects:

• it's very difficult to grab and resize floating windows, which is something I do thousands of times a day. The "Sweet spot" or active area on the window corners and borders is tiny. I hate having to compare to Adobe, but that's the competition, and I've never had any trouble in Photoshop/Illustrator. I've given it a long run to see if I became acclimatised but the active zones are just to small (I'm using a 30" monitor so I'd hate to try a smaller setup)
  • it's also too easy to end up docking floating windows into others when you move them around, or dock them to the main window when you just want to move them up. Maybe they need some kind of switch to "lock" them into floating mode, or make the docking zones smaller. Again, I don't have any trouble in PS/AI.
  • that CTRL +/- feature that started this thread something I'm missing more than oxygen...
  • when resizing floating windows I'm getting the image (in Photo) or document (in designer) "flashing" as it constantly refreshes, and resizing is slowed down considerably. Maybe the contents shouldn't refresh until you release the mouse/pen button (or have an option in preferences to enable a "non-live"  resizing mode, which I think PS might have).

There's a lot to like about these apps, and I've no real complaints with the "features" - just the UI, 'cos  "time is money".

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM