You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.7.0.380 - Huge file size when saving 1.6 image

Hi Chris & Patrick,

Beta version 1.7.3.476 still saves unmodified jpeg layers, uncompressed.

I append the original jpeg and the affinity file. Just opened the jpeg with affinity photo and then saved with affinity native file format.

The affinity photo file size is 6x bigger than the original jpeg file.

Hope you can fix it soon. 

Keep up the good work!

Illustration.jpg

Illustration-1.7.3.476.afphoto

• Staff

When I last spoke to the developers about this, it was acknowledged that they made a 'safe fix' which was implemented some months ago, however, files do seem to be approx 3x the size when compared to 1.6. 

I have bumped the thread to ask if we know what may be happening with this because last I heard, we would be having another attempt to properly fix this.

Other posts on this topic implied that the enormous increase in afphoto file sizes was introduced to accommodate features in Affinity Publisher. I had hoped for a photo editor that is optimized for photos. I was dismayed when Affinity Photo was downgraded to serve purposes in other products for which I have little use.

Perhaps you need to give users the choice of saving their Affinity Photo files either in a format optimized for photos or else in a format compatible with Publisher documents. The fact that the developers were surprised when we began reporting the enormous increase in afphoto file sizes implies some unanticipated design oversights. The current one-size-fits-all file format with several different file extensions for that format has led to enormous photo file sizes that may only increase with time as more unanticipated issues arise.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

As has been mentioned before, the afphoto format is designed for fast reading and writing by the application, and is not designed as a storage format. The example of loading a jpeg and either saving as-is, or making minor edits is pretty much a worst case scenario for the file format.

On 9/5/2019 at 2:33 PM, Claudio60 said:

.aphoto file size from jpg are really too big for backup purpose

As mentioned above, the file format isn't designed for backup purposes. You are much better just storing the original jpeg files in this instance.

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

As has been mentioned before, the afphoto format is designed for fast reading and writing by the application, and is not designed as a storage format. The example of loading a jpeg and either saving as-is, or making minor edits is pretty much a worst case scenario for the file format.

As mentioned above, the file format isn't designed for backup purposes. You are much better just storing the original jpeg files in this instance.

Hi Mark and thank you for the explanation. However I have about  15.000 old slides saved in jpg and many of them are affected with a color cast and other problems that I want to correct; it often happens  that I have to rework them again as my perception of "right" colors change from day to day. In short for my purpose it is very useful to have stored them both in original .jpg than .aphoto format (at least before exporting them in jpg).