You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text On Path (Windows 10, Designer 1.7.0)

I mostly use designer for mapping . . . so I often need  to place text on a path (usually a curved path, sometimes angled). Had been doing this by using the pen tool then selecting text and clicking on the path after the "t~" symbol came up.

After the upgrade, it is almost impossible for me to get the "t~" to come up so I can add the text to the established path. While it can be done, it has greatly slowed my work flow when I start adding street names.

Didn't find (I looked quickly through a few pages of search for "curved text" and "text on path" so I may have missed it) anyone with the same problem, so decided to post about the problem.

Thanks for a great program.

So far as I am aware there has been no change to the functionality of Text on Path.

Here's what I just successfully tried…

1. Create a new document.
  2. Draw a path with the Pen tool.
  3. Hover over path with the Artistic Text tool - cursor changes to t~
  4. Click to insert cursor, and type.

Also worked with a path drawn with the pencil.

Are you sure you are using the Artistic Text Tool, not the Frame Text Tool?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• Staff

Hi Smee Again :)

As Aammppaa has mentioned there has been no change to this functionality, could you provide a screen recording of your issue please?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 6/8/2019 at 2:08 PM, Smee Again said:

it is almost impossible for me to get the "t~" to come up so I can add the text to the established path.

Silly question from me, but are you selecting the path before you try to add the text? That is the only way I can get the ~T to come up at all, select the path hit T (for the Artistic Text tool) and hover the cursor near the path and right away I get the ~T.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I can get it to work ... however, cursor placement must be precisely on the curve. Before, could be a few pixels above the curve and get the cursor for adding artistic text to the curve. Now, if I click a couple pixels above the curve, I get artistic text but it isn't attached to the path.

Only problem is it slows my work a bit because I have to be so very precise when adding artistic text to a curve.

@Old Bruce That is very close to how I do it. First, I get all my streets and highways laid out --- then put them in a group. Next, I add one path and then add artistic text to that path and move it to the "Street Labels" group. Then I go on to the next street label.

All I can say is that perhaps there are just too many objects being rendered can you turn some stuff off and see if that makes a difference?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.