You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

failure to update on Mac store

Below is the text of a post from the forum announcing the release in the App Store of the final beta. Although it is the where the download instructions are given it is, apparently and puzzlingly,  not the appropriate forum to announce difficulties downloading it. Despite having taken an active part in the beta assessments and having downloaded and used them all I am completely unable to download the release version from the App Store.

I have had the original AppStore version of Affinity Photo and Designer since their release and they are present on my machine and show as installed in the App Store. 

However App Store only shows only my original pre beta apps. Nothing shows in updates to update them and Cmd R does nothing to update 'updates'.

Not only can I not download the new release I cannot even use what I have happily been using to date because it won't let me in and I get a message telling me to download the new version. I am now totally without access to your app or my files.

I am not the only one confused that is clear from other posts .......... can someone please hold my hand and take me though this step by step?

iMac Retina 5K. 6 x 3,7 Ghz. OS Mojave 10.14.5

Have you tried signing out of the App Store and signing back in? That has been reported to make the update appear in some cases.

It is also possible that Apple has not rolled out the update yet to the regional App Store that you're using, though I would expect them to have done so by now. That's something you would need to ask Apple about, via the appropriate Support link in the Store.

Just a comment (and please note that I am a user, not a Serif employee): Serif really has no control over this. They supply the software to Apple, and Apple is responsible for getting it into all the regional App Stores and for showing you that the update exists. In a way, you are an Apple customer, not a Serif customer, and for some issues that means that Apple Support may be your best option. If the update were visible to you, and it failed during installation, that would be a Serif problem. But making the update visible is strictly Apple's responsibility for items in the Mac App Store.

Are you saying (quoted below) that your existing 1.6 version has stopped working, or just that the 1.7 beta you had has stopped working?

15 minutes ago, DavidMac said:

Not only can I not download the new release I cannot even use what I have happily been using to date because it won't let me in and I get a message telling me to download the new version. I am now totally without access to your app or my files

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

The latest beta version should continue to work as long as the Mac app store has not updated.

The last beta build 1.7.0.135 is still available here

Normally the beta versions only stop because the app store version is not a recognised build. So if you have beta build 1.7.0.135 already and it isn't working then that normally means that the app store has updated to 1.7.0

What release date (or version) is showing for you in the App Store interface please?

Does the beta 1.7.0.135 work for you?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 6/8/2019 at 10:14 PM, DavidMac said:

I have had the original AppStore version of Affinity Photo and Designer since their release and they are present on my machine and show as installed in the App Store. 

You might have a problem with the Mac App Store cache. Here are two articles describing common App Store issues:

Please make sure to backup your system before following any of the suggestions in the linked article. I don’t want to be responsible for any data loss. Really. Nonetheless, I hope that will solve your problem. :)

20 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

The latest beta version should continue to work as long as the Mac app store has not updated.

The last beta build 1.7.0.135 is still available here

Normally the beta versions only stop because the app store version is not a recognised build. So if you have beta build 1.7.0.135 already and it isn't working then that normally means that the app store has updated to 1.7.0

What release date (or version) is showing for you in the App Store interface please?

Does the beta 1.7.0.135 work for you?

I have two machines. A desktop that I use all the time where there were no updates at all and a laptop that I use only from time to time. It occurred to me to check the laptop ......... and there they were. Once updated from the laptop they finally appeared on the desktop after several log in and outs from the store. 

Thanks Patrick for responding. Running perfectly now. 

9 hours ago, A_B_C said:

You might have a problem with the Mac App Store cache. Here are two articles describing common App Store issues:

Please make sure to backup your system before following any of the suggestions in the linked article. I don’t want to be responsible for any data loss. Really. Nonetheless, I hope that will solve your problem. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. They finally appeared yesterday. See post above. 

• Staff

I'm pleased that you are sorted, but 3 days seems ridiculously slow roll out by Apple, sorry it was so frustrating for you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

@DavidMac

I have to thank you now..... Your (quite reasonable) response in the announcement thread has led me to investigate a new way to split posts off into new threads, and yet make a support ticket (our existing process didn't do that). That ticket creation has been eluding us for over 3 years, which could lead to a split post being missed altogether by the QA staff. So our decision not to split posts out of announcement threads rightly led to frustration like yours. But today I thought of a way to do this (that I have tested and works,) so I won't ever have to ask customers to post again when using the announcement threads. I can just split them using the new process and the created support ticket will be dealt with in turn. So (other than confusing people as to where their post has gone) I think we have together cracked this long standing process issue, so thank you for calling me out a bit, that has led to a very positive outcome.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd