You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all,

Whats the difference on these two colour profiles? When I open scans (no profile is applied) Id like as little as possible to happen with them automatically...

Also, when I switch to develop persona... is a colour profile still applied?

Cheers
Peter

Adobe RGB (1998) color space

In 1998, Adobe implemented considerations that would make it possible to display all the color-relevant colors of the CMYK color model in the new Adobe RGB (1998) theme.

Compared to sRGB, there are significant improvements in the turquoise and green tones. However, the primary valences have been laid so that the appearance of saturated reds has barely improved, even slightly worsening from saturated blues. However, the change did not affect the presentation of the more frequently occurring less saturated tones.

The compromise was a balance in the most common color renderings in practice. When reproducing real images, highly saturated colors are less likely to appear than less saturated ones. The picture quality with the overwhelming number of color reproductions is sufficiently good. Almost all colors of CMYK seven-color printing could be reproduced in the RGB color space.

The Adobe Wide Gamut RGB color space

The Adobe RGB was a further development, but does not yet meet the increased requirements of the practice. For example, company colors in advertising in the workflow could not be passed on continuously from one type of device to another. Therefore, the so-called Wide Gamut was developed, again under the leadership of Adobe.

The wide gamut RGB works with the primary colors 700 nm, 525 nm and 450 nm, and higher color saturations on the technical feasibility limit. Thus, a perfect coverage of red, almost perfect coverage of violet and blue and a very good coverage of green tones is achieved. Slight errors in the range of extremely saturated colors in turquoise and green between 470 nm and 520 nm are accepted in favor of the requirements of practical color management.

All colors that can be printed using CMYK-7 color printing can be displayed in the Adobe Wide Gamut color space.

As you can see from the above the Adobe Wide Gamut RGB is an enhancement to the older Adobe RGB.

24 minutes ago, pkr1979 said:

Also, when I switch to develop persona... is a colour profile still applied?

You mean with switching from the Photo Persona over to Develop Persona?  Usually yes, the used color profile should be shown in the context toolbar and in the right side Info panel.

Note further, that the default by Affinity applied profile is sRGB (when an image has no associated or applied/embedded profile).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

5 minutes ago, pkr1979 said:

... I assume there is no way to start in Develop Persona?

Cam RAW files do always start in Develop Persona for development. The Nikon slide scanners and their software, I used in the past, created NEF RAW files too.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

2 hours ago, pkr1979 said:

Thanks again - do you know if Affinity is limiting the gamut when applying profiles... if colours are clipped?

First, a RAW image does not have a color profile. It is simply the raw sensor data; what the camera saw.

Any clipping would occur during the Develop process, when Photo creates a developed image from the RAW image. At that time, the settings in the Develop Assistant determine whether Photo produces a 16-bit RGB image or a 32-bit RGB image. In Preferences/Color you can specify the color profile to use with 8- or 16-bit RGB images, and you can specify the color profile to use with 32-bit RGB images.

When you press Develop, Photo produces an image as specified in the Develop Assistant (16-bit RGB or 32-bit RGB).

Before you press Develop, while operating in the Develop Persona, Photo will display and (I think) operate on the image using the color profile specified in Preferences/Color for the kind of image that will be produced when you press Develop.

1. So, for example, if I have told the Develop Assistant to produce a 16-bit RGB image, and I have told Preferences/Color that my preferred color profile for 16-bit images is sRGB IEC61966-2.1, then the Develop Persona will be operating with that profile applied to my RAW image. At least, that's my current understanding, and if I open a RAW image with those settings, and look in the Develop Persona's Info Panel, it says that sRGB IEC61966-2.1 is being used.

2. On the other hand, if I have told the Develop Assistant to produce a 32-bit RGB image, and I have told Preferences/Color that my preferred color profile for 32-bit images is "ROMM RGB: ISO22028-2:2013 (Linear)" then the Develop Persona will operate with that profile applied to my RAW image. If I open a RAW image with those settings, the Info Panel will say that the image profile is "ROMM RGB: ISO22028-2:2013 (Linear)".

As ROMM-RGB is a much wider gamut profile than sRGB, less clipping will occur when I press Develop.

Of course, even in case 2, at some point I will have to display or print the image. At that point, the characteristics of the output device come into play, and further clipping may occur.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

First, a RAW image does not have a color profile. It is simply the raw sensor data; what the camera saw. ...

The OP didn't meant RAW files, he initially talked about scans and I assume that he probably isn't using a Nikon Coolscan. I just gave him here an example of what opens as default files in the Develop Persona (since he indirectly asked after that) ...

...I did mean when switching from Photo Persona to Develop Persona... Isn't that necessary - I assume there is no way to start in Develop Persona?

... thus I named RAW files as an example here.  - Color clipping can occur when converting/mapping colors from one higher color space into a lower one (wider gamut to a lower gamut). It thus depends on the used colors, the color support of output devices etc. here. Internal technical also to how accurate the CMS and color profiles are.

For RAW files yes, even RAW files themself don't use a defined color space or transport a profile, every software (for example RAW converter software etc.) which deals with displaying and developing RAW files, has to use internally a working color space, in order to be able to show up the RAW file contents it operates on at all. Ideally such software will be using a higher gamut display color space for show up (it's monitor device dependent) and performing it's general calculation operations in a device independent LAB space.