You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Before I begin, I have never used a layout program before, so total noob here. Maybe this exists already, but it would be good to have a pool of images to browse through while laying out a document. In video editors, these are called bins. In my particular example, I'm laying out my first photography print portfolio and while I'm deciding on which images go where, it would be great to have a "palette" of images I've selected for this project instead of having to import, place, remove, import, over and over. Again, if this exists already, please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

iPad Pro 12.9 M1/Mac Mini M1, in that order

You could use the Assets panel for this, but I would tend to use a file manager (showing thumbnails, on my half of my second screen, perhaps pinned on top).

Then you can simply drag and drop onto the page, or directly into a picture frame.

If you use a picture frame then you can just drag a replacement onto the original.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

1 hour ago, Aammppaa said:

You could use the Assets panel for this, but I would tend to use a file manager (showing thumbnails, on my half of my second screen, perhaps pinned on top).

Then you can simply drag and drop onto the page, or directly into a picture frame.

If you use a picture frame then you can just drag a replacement onto the original.

I thought the Assets panel might be the answer, but I can't seem to select images to place in there. Maybe I'm missing something

You probably want to create a new folder in the assets panel, and give it a name.

Then drag and drop your images into it from your file manager.

You then use this as your bin, to drop objects into the document.

But as I say, I see little advantage over dragging and dropping directly from the file manager, in this particular instance.

The assets panel can of course store any type of content, such as vector graphics, groups of adjustments that you commonly use etc.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

34 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

You probably want to create a new folder in the assets panel, and give it a name.

Then drag and drop your images into it from your file manager.

You then use this as your bin, to drop objects into the document.

But as I say, I see little advantage over dragging and dropping directly from the file manager, in this particular instance.

The assets panel can of course store any type of content, such as vector graphics, groups of adjustments that you commonly use etc.

I think you're assuming I have a dual monitor setup, which I don't. MacOS does not allow you to have a persistent Finder window on top of other apps, such as Publisher. Therefore, I can'y use your suggestion of just dragging and dropping from the file manager (Finder). I'd like the bin to be visible at all times as opposed to swapping between apps (Finder & Publisher). As for using the Assets panel, I've tried what you're suggesting, but no images show up although I do see the left border of the assets panel turn blue as if it recognizes I'm trying to drop something into it. Maybe you (or Serif) could make a quick video on using the Asset panel. Thanks for your replies thus far.

35 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

As you say I am using Windows, so thing will be different, but here is what I did…

Thank you for this. I think it might be a filetype issue as I'm trying to use tiffs and I see you're using jpgs. If you have a sec, try with tiffs. Thanks again

Edited by wgphoto

Interesting - tiffs do not drag and drop into the Assets panel for me either. Looks like a bug / oversight to me.

If I Place the tiff and then Add from Selection in the Assets Panel then it works, but that will only work 1 file at a time.

Update: You can actually Place (or drag and drop) a bunch of tiff all at once, then select them all, and Add From Selection. They will be added as individual items.

33 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

Update: You can actually Place (or drag and drop) a bunch of tiff all at once, then select them all, and Add From Selection. They will be added as individual items.

Thank you, this is a decent workaround, but slow as they take a long time to load. Comes with the beta territory. Hopefully, they'll fix the tiff import for the Asset panel so this won't be necessary in the future.

I tested this behaviour on a Mac (macOS 10.14.5.) and had this result:

• Drag and Drop with images into the „Assets“ panel woks with .jpg, .png, .psd, .svg and .tiff (double „f“)
  • It doesn’t work with .tif (single „f“)

This definitely should be fixed, because on Mac the .tif extension is much more common than the .tiff extension:

MacOS does not allow you to have a persistent Finder window on top of other apps, such as Publisher.

On macOS, you can enable split view to have 2 app windows open side by side in fullscreen. To do so, hold down (with force if using a touchpad) on the green fullscreen button of one window (ie. Finder) and drag to the left or right. Then choose the 2nd open program (ie. Publisher) from the selection of open windows. The 2 windows will automatically fill half of the screen each - but you can drag between them to resize horizontally. So you could have a narrow Finder window next to a wide Publisher window in fullscreen. This could be too cramped on a small screen.

On 6/9/2019 at 1:08 PM, JaneE said:

On macOS, you can enable split view to have 2 app windows open side by side in fullscreen. To do so, hold down (with force if using a touchpad) on the green fullscreen button of one window (ie. Finder) and drag to the left or right. Then choose the 2nd open program (ie. Publisher) from the selection of open windows. The 2 windows will automatically fill half of the screen each - but you can drag between them to resize horizontally. So you could have a narrow Finder window next to a wide Publisher window in fullscreen. This could be too cramped on a small screen.

I get that this is possible, but it shouldn't be necessary if the assets panel works properly with tiffs. Thanks though, not being snarky.:D

I think assets panel was designed to do something else... (like present graphic widgets which will be reused in project heavily).

In layout apps there usually are no bins for media objects. They are usually not needed as you can have a Finder window open next your project and drag&drop your media from there. 

Going back to original question in this thread, you can place multiple images and they will be shown in separate Place Images  panel. Here's the video: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/286538332

W11, Dell G5, i7, 64GB, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2600, Wacom Intuos Pro M + iPad Pro 2018.
 sakrajda.eu