You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Current and underlying layer only" source for tools

It is sometimes necessary to use current layer and just one layer below as source for tool.

My use case is working with frequency separation: I have low frequency layer, then high frequency layer above. To fix blemishes on high frequency layer I turn it into folder and put empty pixel layer on top:

* Folder "high frequency" (blending mode = Linear Light)
  * Empty pixel layer for fixes (blending mode = Normal)
  * Source high-frequency layer (blending mode = Normal)
* Low-frequency layer

I want to see full picture (with both low and high frequency layers on) and use clone stamp tool to fix high frequency layer only. But I have to turn off low-frequency layer to avoid getting pixels from it.

I propose to add "Current and underlying only layers" and/or "Current and layer in same folder" tool sources.

Hi  @plumburum and welcome to the forum.

I believe you can use Global Sources, something along the lines of this…

1. Do your frequency separation.
  2. Select the high frequency layer.
  3. Open the Sources panel View > Studio > Sources.
  4. Add a new Global Source (HF layer should appear).
  5. Click Toggle Source Preview icon (the eye bottom left of panel)
  6. Set source point for your Stamp Tool.
  7. Toggle the Preview off again.
  8. Ensure that source for the Stamp tool has changed to Global, and do your cloning.

This might help too…

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

11 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

I believe you can use Global Sources, something along the lines of this…

1. Do your frequency separation.
  2. Select the high frequency layer.
  3. Open the Sources panel View > Studio > Sources.
  4. Add a new Global Source (HF layer should appear).
  5. Click Toggle Source Preview icon (the eye bottom left of panel)
  6. Set source point for your Stamp Tool.
  7. Toggle the Preview off again.
  8. Ensure that source for the Stamp tool has changed to Global, and do your cloning.

It seems it's impossible to clone from other position when you use Global source, only from same-positioned pixels in global source. At least Alt-click does nothing. It makes it completely useless for fixing blemishes.

You can indeed set the source to anywhere on the Global Source (Alt+Click works fine for me on Window 7).

1501465649_AffinityGlobalSource.gif.23b38b3e1ab64de028c6f4db2d9ff77f.gif

Note that the Global Source thumbnail even shows you where the current source is located with a little circle.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Ah, I see. I have to turn on global source preview to select source point. Well, it kind of works, but is far from perfect:

* I can't just Alt-Click on canvas. On Win7 I have to first click on global source, then source point, which is a lot of cursor moving. On Mac, I have to double-click on global source and then set source point.
* When global source preview is on, you see global source only, no your local fixes already done, so I loose what I was going to fix, especially given I have to move cursor far from fix point (see item #1)
* There is no "current layer and global source" variant

So I still think it would be really cool to have some way to specify exact source layer or at least "current and below in folder".