You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF clickable table of contents

I do believe it is done in the More section of the Export PDF part of the Export... 

tick the box at the bottom called Allow advanced features

744625310_ScreenShot2019-06-08at12_31_07PM.png.ba19fa532c8f0c7c208fc56678579dad.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I do believe it is done in the More section of the Export PDF part of the Export... 

tick the box at the bottom called Allow advanced features

I tried it and it doesn't produce a clickable table of contents.

Works here, although I should point out that only the page numbers are clickable. Not the entire line or entry.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Only the page numbers in a table of contents are clickable.

That is not what I would expect. And I think in general one would expect the whole line to be clickable.

Still some work to be done here.

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2

14 hours ago, RM f/g said:

Only the page numbers in a table of contents are clickable.

That is not what I would expect. And I think in general one would expect the whole line to be clickable.

Still some work to be done here.

It seems Publisher is the most lacking in terms of features compared to photo and designer.

9 hours ago, toutou123 said:

It seems Publisher is the most lacking in terms of features compared to photo and designer.

That makes sense.  Photo and Designer have both had several releases already so there has been time to enhance and refine them.  Publisher will be released for the first time next week - it hasn't been around as long and is just getting started.

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

That makes sense.  Photo and Designer have both had several releases already so there has been time to enhance and refine them.  Publisher will be released for the first time next week - it hasn't been around as long and is just getting started.

It's just that photo and designer can be a solid replacement to photoshop and illustrator in the majority of time. So people had same expectations for publisher to replace InDesign, but after testing it, a lot of people found it lacking essential features and they can't use it for a lot of publishing work.

1 minute ago, toutou123 said:

It's just that photo and designer can be a solid replacement to photoshop and illustrator in the majority of time. So people had same expectations for publisher to replace InDesign, but after testing it, a lot of people found it lacking essential features and they can't use it for a lot of publishing work.

There are also many people who find it more than adequate for their work already.  It will obviously depend on the specific nature of what each person is doing and their tolerance for needing to work around some of the current limitations.  In any case, I would certainly expect many of those features to start making their appearance over the course of the next few releases.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would also like to know if this will be done in the next month or so. It's a consideration for whether I buy Affinity Publisher (I'm trying out the trial), as LibreOffice does this already (but is worse for positioning frames and images).

Is there a workaround for mass-modifying the table of contents to make the text linkable as well as the page numbers?

Edited by Tegwyn

• 5 months later...

Hi !

I tried the table of content feature for the first time, and I'm quite disappointed that only page numbes are clickable… why not the whole line ?
And in the generated PDF there are no table of contents links as well, whereas there are in indesign generated pdf. (see attachments)
Am I missing some settings?
Can we hope to have theses features?

apub-pdf.png

indd-pdf.png

• 1 month later...

I just re-exported my project using Publisher 1.8.2 to make a few minor fixes and improvements, and I noticed that all my table of contents bookmarks exported with the whole line clickable, not just the numbers! I don't remember noticing that in the release notes. I hope it's intentional and staying around. Is anyone else getting this?

Let us know how it goes, or if it's just my computer doing dark magic!

If your TOC is crossing more than one column, be sure to check all the links when you export. I found a bug, which I'll try reporting once I get together a clean example file that has the problem, where two entries that link to the same page apparently get combined even if they are split across columns, which seems to cause the link hitbox to become huge and clobber all the previous links in the first column. I'm speculating as to the cause, but the workaround is to split a multicolumn frame into multiple frames.

• 1 year later...

Clickable TOCs in PDFs do work. You need to click the 'Include bookmarks' and 'Include hyperlinks' options behind the 'More' button. I do wish this sort of thing was NOT hidden behind More buttons. I can't remember which of these enables bookmarks but as I have both bookmarks and hyperlinks, I enable them both and it works.

Also, I have seen this option uncheck itself occasionally. Or put it another way, I did not uncheck it, yet the next time I went to export the same document it had unchecked itself. So you should scrutinise this each time you do an export.

140635687_Screenshot2021-10-22at14_01_39.png.72ce3e93cc10e5a432bd9efa26760a19.png

1 hour ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Clickable TOCs in PDFs do work. You need to click the 'Include bookmarks' and 'Include hyperlinks' options behind the 'More' button. I do wish this sort of thing was NOT hidden behind More buttons.

The Hyperlinks in the Publisher-generated TOC (and elsewhere) are clickable automatically if you use one of the digital PDF Export Presets. They're only non-clickable (by default) in the  Presets for printable PDF files.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

When exporting to PDF there are multiple presets present. These include for print, press ready, digital -small size, digital-high quality, for export, flattern, X-1a2003, 3:2003, x-4, include bookmarks.   Is there something in the Affinity publisher manual or book that describes each and when to use them.?    I created a 400 page cookbook in Word and imported it into affinity Publisher.  I then made a lot of changes to the document in Affinity Publisher, but found that Kindle KDP takes the PDf for publishing the Paperback version but NOT the ebook version.  It would rather take epub, or mobi, or even DOCX.   It is too late for me to revert to the word document as I made the mistake of making a lot of the changes in affinity publisher and can no longer use the original word doc to send to Kindle to publish the eBook.  The pocketbook has been published and looks great.   Any hints on which Preset I could use to make the PDF so that I can convert it to ePUB or back to Docx in Word without getting a terrible cpnversion.  I have tried converting from the PDF using multiple programs including Calibre which are so bad that it  would take days to fix all the changes that the conversions made. Anyway please tell me what all those presets are good for. Thank you