You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug in pen tool in 1.7.0 release version

A regression from 1.6. In version 1.6.5.123 the pen tool works as described by @squirrelfire

1.6.5: Create a closed shape with the pen tool. When you hover the nodes a minus symbol is displayed next to the pen tool. If you click and drag the node with the left button you can round and shape the tool.

1.7.0: Create a closed shape with the pen tool. When you hover the node that closed the shape a minus symbol is displayed next to the pen tool. If you click and drag the node with the left button you can round and shape the tool. Hovering ANY other node displays an... anchor symbol... and clicking and dragging add new curve to the selected curves object. The "Add new curves to existing curves" is always on when using the pen tool no matter if the toolbar button is selected or not.

.... but if you click on one of the cursed nodes with the node tool - just once - you can again manipulate it with the pen tool.

Originally reported by @squirrelfire

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Bump @Chris B @MEB

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Bump

• Staff

Bumping has no effect on the response time. We don't reply from the top of the forum, we have tickets created by the initial post and review the oldest threads first. 

Thanks for the initial post and recipe, it will be responded to when time allows, sorry for the delay.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Hi Jowday,

Sorry for the delay. I've spoken to development regarding this and this is not a bug, it is new functionality that has been added to the Pen Tool. However please note that it isn't functioning as though 'Add New Curve to Selected Curves Object' is enabled, that does something else.

The best way to describe the behaviour I think is looking at what the Pen Tool icon is set to. I've included some quick videos showing the behaviour of the icon as well

PenToolNewCurve.png - Create a new curve layer.

PenToolAddNode.png - Add node to the current curve layer.

PenToolNewCoCurve.png - Create a new curve layer with the start node being coincidental to the node the tool is over. Observe in my video below that a new curve layer is created.

PenToolAddCoNode.png - Add node to the current curve layer with the new node being coincidental to the one you were hovered over.

PenToolRedrag.png - Redrag node. This is now only available on the last drawn node. As mentioned you can hold Cmd down to quickly enter the Node Tool and select a previously created node to modify it.

PenToolClose.png - Close the current curve.

Please note that if you had used the 'Add New Curve to Selected Curves Object' option in conjunction with either Create modes then instead of creating a new Curve layer, it will create a separate curve inside the currently selected curve layer making it into a Polycurve.

Hi @Sean P

Thank you for your thorough answer. :) Especially the videos.

How about the use case @squirrelfire reported did not work for him now. There is no way to quickly edit and smoothen a sharp node like he preferred in 1.6, right?

Note that CMD is Mac only - Windows users must use the right mouse buttons as well. It is as handy like using light poles as chopsticks.

@squirrelfire If this is a deal breaker for you, give Gravit Designer a test run. Then pen tool is second to none - I use it a lot for constructing shapes quickly. Thats what I purchased Designer for originally. It also has a knife tool and bezigon tool. I export my shapes to Illustrator when they are ready all done.

After monkeying around with the new behavior ( @Sean P)  I like it a lot. Very useful. But not always.

A shame it ruined the old behavior. I used the old behavior when I was drawing on top of scanned sketches. I prefer to draw the outlines quickly and dirty - and finish them later. Separating outlining and precision work into two phases.

BTW the right mouse click combo with whatever other key or left mouse button is a little disaster.

I should probably mention that I do about two thirds of my work "in the field" on a laptop using a trackpad because no desk is available, which makes the multi-click interface for adjusting lines much more difficult than if I was on my PC with a normal mouse and keyboard.