You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problems with Justification

I must be doing something very wrong because I'm getting the ends of the words cut off too, the last letter in half more or less. At this point I'm reverting to creating text docs in Pages and exporting as PDF, to import fully formed into Publisher - it's really far too difficult to simply format text in a frame in Publisher

8 minutes ago, DrScardo said:

I must be doing something very wrong because I'm getting the ends of the words cut off too, the last letter in half more or less. At this point I'm reverting to creating text docs in Pages and exporting as PDF, to import fully formed into Publisher - it's really far too difficult to simply format text in a frame in Publisher

If you can give us a small sample .afpub document we can probably tell you what the issue is. There are several settings that could cause that, and the fix is probably simple. It's just figuring out what is set incorrectly that is tricky until one knows where to look :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 minutes ago, DrScardo said:

Are you trying to get all the lines, including the final one, in your paragraph the same width? If so you will have to do some fine work starting at the top and judiciously adding line breaks and messing about with Tracking to achieve that.

Alternatively you could change the width of the frame until you get a result you like. 

These would be done with Full Justification.

Here is a handy guide https://xkcd.com/1676/

full_width_justification.png.ed77e9a39651ea6491090861a36dafc3.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi both, thanks for responding - the problem is within a very large project with lots of graphics and imported pdf music scores so I'm not sure how I can get the offending page(s) out as a simple pub file. I've tried highlighting all the text bar the last line and using left justify, but that makes no difference, and , as I said, as it's become such an issue for formatting (and in truth I never intended to become a DTP expert, merely to use the tool to get my book made) it's probably best if I just do as I've been doing and format all text pages in Pages, exporting as PDF.

tbh the fact that formatting text in frames within Pub has so many variables is a bit maddening - I would expect a text frame to behave as a frame for holding text - and therefore abide by standard formatting conventions, so if I format to just fully, the last line should not be included. And even if I place a carriage return after this line, it still doesn't play ball. I don't get how a frame, designated as a text frame, should be so difficult to set up for text! But that's just me.

39 minutes ago, DrScardo said:

tbh the fact that formatting text in frames within Pub has so many variables is a bit maddening - I would expect a text frame to behave as a frame for holding text - and therefore abide by standard formatting conventions, so if I format to just fully, the last line should not be included. And even if I place a carriage return after this line, it still doesn't play ball. I don't get how a frame, designated as a text frame, should be so difficult to set up for text! But that's just me.

Well, let's go for a simple possibility. Give us a screenshot of the text frame and the text that is misbehaving, with Text > Show Special Characters enabled. Perhaps your "last line" is really a separate paragraph.

(But, "justify all" (which I think you mean when you say "fully") will justify the last line of a paragraph, too. It's Justify Left if you don't want the last line of the paragraph justified fully.)

Also, if you do want to provide a sample file, you have two options that I know of to extract from your current file:

1. Save a copy of the .afpub file, Open it, and delete the pages except the one showing the problem. You can select ranges of pages in the Pages panel for easy deletion. Save that file, and attach it here.
  2. Create a new document. Then use Document > Add Pages from File... to grab a page that shows the problem in your full document. Save it, and attach here.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 6 months later...
On 8/17/2020 at 8:50 AM, DrScardo said:

Thanks but still leaves large spaces....

A little late, but if it's leaving the last line like you have said... you probably have a forced line break at the end of the text which will cause it (mainly when using justified all text).

I came back to see if there was an update to this topic with the new release (1.9).