You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problems with Justification

I have just tried the Justification options. I want the "justify all" to not only stretch from margin to margin but hopefully for the last line to finish by lining up with the left margin as it does in PagePlus. I had hoped that in Publisher I would have the option of choosing for the last line of the all justified paragraph to line up with the right margin or be centred, a choice offered in InDesign. I hope that I won't have to select the last line of the paragraph in each case and format it as left, centre or right, as I have to do at present. With a long text having to do this would be a real bind.

John

Doesn’t “Justify Left” produce the desired result, John? ears.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, jrkay said:

I have just tried the Justification options. I want the "justify all" to not only stretch from margin to margin but hopefully for the last line to finish by lining up with the left margin as it does in PagePlus. I had hoped that in Publisher I would have the option of choosing for the last line of the all justified paragraph to line up with the right margin or be centred, a choice offered in InDesign. I hope that I won't have to select the last line of the paragraph in each case and format it as left, centre or right, as I have to do at present. With a long text having to do this would be a real bind.

John

Here is another way to set this.   Go to VIEW>Studio> Text Style and then in that Panel, highlight the text style (i.e. "Body") you wish to justify, then click on the hamburger icon at the right and chose "Edit (Body) Style."   Then you will get the menu shown below (omitted heading is Edit Text Style).    Click on "Spacing" under "Paragraph"  and you will get the submenu.  Here in the Alignment block you select Justified Last Line Left.    Works for me!!

1570393769_ScreenShot2019-06-08at2_50_56PM.thumb.png.9b8472ab2fba4b56a299c907dbfe39af.png 

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Thanks  jmwellborn,

I tried doing what you suggested but I'm afraid that on windows 7 it just doesn't work, the whole of the paragraph ends up as left align when I have adjusted it as you suggest..

I don't have a minus in the "ignore before" only a blank or an all black square.

33 minutes ago, jrkay said:

Sorry Alfred I didn't see your post at first.

I seem to remember this working in a previous version of the beta but it doesn't work for me in this one as I said in both of my posts.

Justify Left is what you want if you want all the lines of a paragraph fully justified except the last line, which will be left-aligned.

For the other two (center- or right-aligned for the last line) you need to make your own paragraph style. You have those options in Paragraph Spacing when editing a Paragraph Style. For example:
image.png.52fa020ae11e6e185ed39aefe3dceb7d.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Are we talking about Artistic Text or Frame Text?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

48 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Are we talking about Artistic Text or Frame Text?

Good question.

Here's another: If it is Frame Text, is it continuous text, or are there Line Break characters (e.g., shift-return) at the end of each line. Can you provide a small document with some of your text that is misbehaving so we can look at it?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

5 hours ago, jrkay said:

Thanks  jmwellborn,

I tried doing what you suggested but I'm afraid that on windows 7 it just doesn't work, the whole of the paragraph ends up as left align when I have adjusted it as you suggest..

I don't have a minus in the "ignore before" only a blank or an all black square.

I wonder if you have clicked on the justify all icon up in the context toolbar?  Not the justify left or justify right.   You need to do that first.    Sorry, should have said that.  It is after that that you select the Justify last line left through the Edit Text Styles.     I am on MAC, so I cannot see what you have, but I think it should really be the same.  These settings definitely work for the MAC.    Must be really frustrating for you.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

8 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

I wonder if you have clicked on the justify all icon up in the context toolbar?  Not the justify left or justify right.   You need to do that first.    Sorry, should have said that.  It is after that that you select the Justify last line left through the Edit Text Styles.     I am on MAC, so I cannot see what you have, but I think it should really be the same.  These settings definitely work for the MAC.    Must be really frustrating for you.

But Justify Left should do what jrkay wants automatically, for the case where the last line should be aligned left. It is supposed to fully justify all the other lines.

Actually, from a quick experiment:

1. Justify Left (from the Toolbar) fully justifies all lines except the last, which is aligned left.
  2. Justify Center fully justifies all lines except the last, which is centered.
  3. Justify Right fully justifies all lines except the last, which is aligned right.

No need to play with redefining paragraph styles at all (unless you want to have a style setup that way, of course).

As this doesn't work for jrkay, I'd really like to see a sample document, as I'm quite confused by the results reported so far.

-- Walt
PC:

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

But Justify Left should do what jrkay wants automatically, for the case where the last line should be aligned left. It is supposed to fully justify all the other lines.

Actually, from a quick experiment:

1. Justify Left (from the Toolbar) fully justifies all lines except the last, which is aligned left.
  2. Justify Center fully justifies all lines except the last, which is centered.
  3. Justify Right fully justifies all lines except the last, which is aligned right.

No need to play with redefining paragraph styles at all (unless you want to have a style setup that way, of course).

As this doesn't work for jrkay, I'd really like to see a sample document, as I'm quite confused by the results reported so far.

I think you are missing the point.   Jrkay said in the original posting that the wish was to justify “to stretch from margin to margin.”    Justify left leaves ragged right margins.   Justify Center leaves ragged margins on both right and left.   Justify right leaves a ragged left margin.   Not going to struggle with this any more.    

3 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

I think you are missing the point.   Jrkay said in the original posting that the wish was to justify “to stretch from margin to margin.”    Justify left leaves ragged right margins.   Justify Center leaves ragged margins on both right and left.   Justify right leaves a ragged left margin.   Not going to struggle with this any more.    

If I use Art Text I see what you are describing above but if I use Frame Text then the Justify options do what you would expect them to do and as others have described in this thread

Are you using Art Text or Frame Text?

If Frame Text then a sample document showing what you see may help solve this mystery

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks everyone for your interest, I did start by choosing from the icons at the top of the page and tried all the justify choices finally settling on Justify All and only getting the last line to abandon what amounted to Force Justify by selecting the last line only and clicking on Justify Left to make it look right. My file does exactly what jmwellborn says. Justify left puts all the lines to the left to leave a ragged right look to them and justify right puts all the lines to a ragged left look.

Here's the file.

John

start.afpub

Your text has a return/paragraph character at the end of every line.

Text > Show Special Characters

Did you import/copy this text from somewhere else?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

9 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

Sorry, but I have tried all of them, and they do not work as you say. If you'd like to provide a sample file I'd be happy to look at it. Maybe you've found another bug?

Edit: I think you're describing Align Left/Center/Right not Justify.

The icons on the Toolbar are side by side, with three Align icons and one Justify icon.

-- Walt
PC:

16 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Sorry, but I have tried all of them, and they do not work as you say. If you'd like to provide a sample file I'd be happy to look at it. Maybe you've found another bug?

John provided a sample file here

2 hours ago, jrkay said:

Thanks everyone for your interest, I did start by choosing from the icons at the top of the page and tried all the justify choices finally settling on Justify All and only getting the last line to abandon what amounted to Force Justify by selecting the last line only and clicking on Justify Left to make it look right. My file does exactly what jmwellborn says. Justify left puts all the lines to the left to leave a ragged right look to them and justify right puts all the lines to a ragged left look.

Here's the file.

John

start.afpub

and Carl then made this pertinent observation:

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

Your text has a return/paragraph character at the end of every line.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks, Alfred, but I was responding to jmwellborn.

-- Walt
PC:

On 6/8/2019 at 9:46 AM, jrkay said:

John

As carl123 said your text has a Paragraph return at every line's end so the justification is working as it should. You have visual paragraphs but they are composed of several paragraphs instead of just one paragraph. You'll have to delete these.

226423088_ScreenShot2019-06-09at10_05_52AM.png.10f1189feda336e2ac5a0981a13e24c0.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Was this an imported PDF file?  If so, that would explain the paragraph returns at the end of every line.  In that case, you can get rid of all of those by using Find and Replace first.  I have attached a sample of what each justify setting does.  ("Repeat four times fast", not "three," by the way.)   You can highlight text and click on the appropriate setting, or you can create a Text Style that includes what you want under the Paragraph Spacing section.  If you are working on a long book, I would suggest the latter.

1265327302_ScreenShot2019-06-09at1_16_46PM.thumb.png.bc20005ff0f4bc4ee055d32b69242ac6.png

Thanks Carl, well spotted that's exactly what's wrong with my file. Aso sorry not to have seen this, I will say that I had to increase the size of the page quite a lot to see this, I don't find the colour blue stands out a lot.

Also relieved to find out exactly what I was wrong and relieved to find out that it wasn't a bug.

Thanks to everyone.

John

3 minutes ago, jrkay said:

Thanks Carl, well spotted that's exactly what's wrong with my file. Aso sorry not to have seen this, I will say that I had to increase the size of the page quite a lot to see this, I don't find the colour blue stands out a lot.

Also relieved to find out exactly what I was wrong and relieved to find out that it wasn't a bug.

Thanks to everyone.

John

Carl can be depended upon  for the answer!!    Don't forget about Find and Replace. 

• 1 year later...

Well join in here a bit late but I've just imported text that I removed all formatting from in Mac text edit into a frame, and using what I would call "fully justified" text selection icon, I cannot get the last line to   n   o   t   s   p   r   e   a   d   out etc across the whole width. And selecting the line and then icon justify left tells the whole Para to be left justified. I can find no way of making the last line fit nicely.