You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer 1.7.0 don't shows installed brushes.

2 hours ago, andrewio said:

YES, IT happens on Mac OS X Mojave for 1.7 version of App

I may be really stupid for asking, but do you have VIEW>Studio>Brushes checked?  I noticed when I upgraded Photo to 1.7 that Library and Macro had disappeared, but when I checked them again in VIEW>Studio the panels popped up where they were supposed to be, and every macro was right there where it belonged.  Designer had everything right where it belonged with the 1.7 upgrade.   I am using MAC Sierra, which seems to be a very trustworthy old dog who can learn new tricks.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

20 minutes ago, andrewio said:

Affinity Photo correctly installs & shows new brushes, and Affinity Designer don't show them.

If APh shows them correctly, then AD should do the same. You just need to make sure that you’re in the Pixel Persona.

Which brushes are they?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

If APh shows them correctly, then AD should do the same. You just need to make sure that you’re in the Pixel Persona.

Which brushes are they?

Thank you! Why they are showing only here (Pixel Persona)? I am newbie.

Designer (currently) has 2 types of brush.

A vector brush, shows in the vector persona, and works by stretching a bitmap along a path. This path remains editable, and will be redrawn if you move the nodes.

A pixel brush, shows in the pixel persona, and works by repeatedly painting a bitmap as you move the mouse, often while rotating the nib, changing its size etc. Once painted the brush stroke can not be edited, other than by painting over it, or erasing it.

Both have their uses.

I guess the pack you bought contained Pixel Brushes.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

4 minutes ago, andrewio said:

Thank you!

You’re welcome. :)

4 minutes ago, andrewio said:

Why they are showing only here (Pixel Persona)? I am newbie.

There are two kinds of brushes, each using a different brush engine. Affinity Photo can only use raster brushes; Affinity Designer can use either vector brushes or raster brushes, but you have to be in the appropriate persona to see and use them.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just by way of helping...

I also am using Designer 1.7.0 on a Mac with macOS 10.14.5 (Mojave). I have no issues seeing my new brushes.

The following may be redundant, but if you're new to the Affinity suite of products you need to make sure of the following:

1. when you buy your brushes from the Affinity store, they tell you what sort of brushes they are. For example, the Chunky Marker Brush Pack is a set of vector marker pen brushes, only compatible with Designer. So is the Tattoo Art Brush Pack, as well as the Grave Etcher Brush Pack. Most of the other brush packs raster brushes, which can be used in either Photo or in Designer. 
    If you choose to use raster brushes in Designer, then you need to switch over to its Pixel Persona in order to see those brushes. 2019-06-14_10-05-17.png.115f7a122bb75816521f852f0f5eaeee.png
  2. make sure you've imported any raster brush packs into Affinity Photo, AND also import the same raster brush packs into Affinity Designer.
  3. after importing the brushes in Designer, go to its Pixel Persona, and then look at the Brushes panel. You should see your newly installed brushes near the bottom of your brushes list.

It's pretty straightforward and will become second nature as you become more familiar with the product.