Based on the latest update 1.7.0 running on Mojave 10.14.5, after switching to separated mode I couldn't switch back to Windows mode.

Running

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)

2.9 GHz Intel Core i7

16GB 2133MHz

Radeon Pro 460 4GB

Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

Works here, if I check the Window > Separated Mode I get Separated Mode. If I  uncheck the Window > Separated Mode I am in a consolidated window.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.0 | Affinity Photo 1.7.0 | Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.384 | Affinity Photo beta 1.7.1.138 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.0.14

A number of posts lately seem to indicate that newer users don't realize that "Separated Mode" is a toggle. They think that Separated Mode and Merge Windows are in some way opposite modes, with one undoing the other.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 and 1.7.1.390 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 and 1.7.1.390 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.384 Beta

I’ll try to restart and do it again, but till now the separated mode becomes constant and doesn’t go back to window mode again, let me check and confirm if I’m doing this wrong.

thanks for the feedback ;)

As Walt has indicated Separated Mode is a toggle. You tick it to enter it, and then untick it to exit. Merge All Windows will collect all the separate open documents and group them together in one (floating) window.

oh, Amazing!....  I  am used to more complicated apps..... old habits die hard I guess  hahahaha

It works perfectly, thank  you all for your support and patience :)