You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I’ve been using AP for a few weeks now.

I’ve found one feature that I desperately require in AP, something that I use every time I use Photoshop, without fail.

In Photoshop if you adjust the ‘Levels’ for example (all the plug-ins and changes have this option) at the bottom/right of the window there is a ‘Preview’ check box, which you can turn on/off to get a ‘flash’ difference, a preview of before and after. This is something that people use all the time. AP does not have it and although it has an ‘Opacity’ slider, it’s a drag (literally) to have to open that and quickly drag the opacity slider all the way to zero, you have to flick the mouse really quick to try and get a fast before/after preview of the effect you just applied. I know you can toggle the live adjustment layer on/off, but if the layer tab is not selected you have to move away from the dialogue box your working in to click on another tab elsewhere before you can turn this layers tab on/off, which slows everything down and makes you have to more to a different part of the screen altogether. 

From what I can see there is no way you can do a before/after preview and the Photo Persona does not have a ‘split’ view and even if it did it is not the same thing, we need the before/after preview check box at the bottom/right of all the effects dialogue boxes that come up (like in Photoshop) to see the subtleness of the change. 

See two images, one AP, the other Photoshop (with preview check box in bottom right hand corner).

Affinity Photo grab.jpeg

photoshop grab.jpeg

Edited by CambsCreative

Yes there is a way to do this, and I think AP does it much better than other apps, like PS or PSP. In AP, when you have the adjustment dialog open, you can still access other parts of the UI. With a lot of other apps, that dialog gets 100% focus and can not be changed until you close that dialog. So with AP, with, using your example of the HSL adjustment, with the dialog open simply go to the layers palette, click the checkbox for the HSL (or whatever adjustment) which toggles it off and on. Instant preview,

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

That's the way I do it but if you have lots of layers or your layers are not expanded and you don't want to leave the adjustment dialogue box just double press the 0 (zero) key to set the adjustment's opacity to 0% and single press the 0 (zero) key to set it to 100%

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 4 months later...
On 6/9/2019 at 7:39 PM, Ron P. said:

So with AP, with, using your example of the HSL adjustment, with the dialog open simply go to the layers palette, click the checkbox for the HSL (or whatever adjustment) which toggles it off and on. Instant preview,

It's a matter of ergonomics, it's much more convenient to have a preview toggle in the dialog itself, and since the functionality exist it's just a matter of adding a checkbox to each. My Wacom arm doesn't need any more exercise; a tiny wrist move to toggle previews will postpone my RSI issues and save minutes of time each day....minutes of delicious profit....

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM