You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

All images get a transparent border

As per the pre-1.7 thread here - 

All images get a transparent border.

The issue of the previous thread remains - that when you zoom in and out, at certain zoom levels, images within a file get transparent borders of a pixel or two, making it seem as though images are not correctly placed.

It was originally thought that this transparent border was a visual issue only, but I have noticed upon exporting images that sometimes the transparency is baked in to the exported file. Sometimes it is not. So there may be two issues, here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi both,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

Can you please attach the afphoto and the export file so we can have a look? The white lines should only be a visual artefact and not make it to export. 

Thanks,
Gabe. 

@GabrielM It appears that @gizmo2501 and I may be facing similar but different issues. The border I see seldom encompasses the whole image - it's usually top or left border. I've also never had it appear on export (though to be honest, I've not tried to make it happen so I don't know if I have that issue or not). Doesn't appear to be image-specific in my case; more related to scale-factor and which monitor the APh window resides.

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

i probably encounter this issues as well. As Brad already mentioned, i first thought that this might just be a rendering artefact but i see those borders in exported JPEGs from time to time as well. I attached the affinity file and the jpeg as well for your consideration. It seems that this problem also applies to setting layers and masks?

The image has been edited with AP Ver. 1.7.1.404 on Windows 10 using the panorama stitching feature on Nikon-Raws, the development persona and some effect layers and masks. I can reproduce it in AF frequently, but only rarely on exported results.

Best regards

Lukas

Glencoe_valley.afphoto

issue.PNG

On 6/25/2019 at 3:16 PM, GabrielM said:

Hi both,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

Can you please attach the afphoto and the export file so we can have a look? The white lines should only be a visual artefact and not make it to export. 

Thanks,
Gabe. 

Hi Gabe,

Apologies, I didn't keep the file where it was an issue on export. But I'll keep an eye out for it in the future and send over the file if/when it happens again!

Is there any news on when the visual artefact will be fixed? It's a tad annoying, as I have to keep checking if the artefact is present or not when working on my images - it makes it not trustworthy!

• 5 months later...
  • Staff

Welcome to the forums

15 hours ago, KubaD said:

it occurs in exported JPGs as well.

JPGs don't have transparency/alpha channel, so I don't see how this could happen.

I see that those images in Dum_Cetkovice11_12_13.afphoto  already have a transparent 1px border, but I would be interested to see their original afphoto file. I suspect the size and/or position in the transform studio was not on integer values. 

I expressed myself in a bad way, of course in JPG there is no alpha, but there is still visible that the border has a lighter colour (because of white background).

I have attached one of the original AF files. I put it to the final file via Copy Flattened (Ctrl+Shift+C) because it contains more layers; when try to copy just one layer I get the same result.

Regards
KubaD

Dum_Cetkovice12_1.afphoto

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I first reported this over a year ago - April 2019.

Is there any movement at all on it?

It's very disruptive to workflow to have to zoom in and out of every image to check the borders, as it always looks like images aren't lined up due to this transparency issue, so you have to double-check every image.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys! Any news? I can confirm the issue is still here. Although the background of all Artboards within the Designer's document overlaps their borders, I still get the transparent frame around exported PNGs. The two attachments show the Artboard and the exported PNG. (BTW, I'm on the latest 1.10.4. Windows)

Snímek obrazovky 2021-11-10 013841.jpg

Snímek obrazovky 2021-11-10 013822.jpg

Oh, now I get it! It's essential to create or move Artboards with "Force Pixel Alignment" turned on. Then, the export performs well. Also, if you need to move pixel misaligned Artboards for the first time, don't forget to turn 'Move By Whole Pixels" off. Otherwise, you'll again snap between pixels. Once you're pixel perfect, you can turn the feature on.