You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Continuous export mode is inconsistent on what causes a re-export

I posted this in the suggestions forum originally, before realizing it should probably be a bug report, unless I'm missing something here. Apologies for the mistake.

It seems inconsistent when the continuous export mode in 1.7.0 is triggered. In the last version it would happen basically every time I made a change, but now I have to click around a bunch to get the external files to update (it seems to happen more when I select the artboard itself?). 

A manual export-all menu option with optional overwrite prompt would still be nice :D

Affinity Designer 1.7, Mac OS 10.14.5

the document I'm having the issue on: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=93616

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi cinebox,

I've just tried this myself using both OpenGL and Metal and have been unable to reproduce it, it was updating for me every time (was placing big colourful shapes to test). That said I did find that OpenGL felt a little bit quicker (took a few seconds to update after I had finished editing). Are you able to do a screen recording demonstrating the behaviour you are seeing with Metal please?

so it does seem I just need to wait several seconds before switching out of affinity to see my results, which is why I was seeing older versions before. OpenGL exporting is definitely faster. Export time does seem to scale with the complexity of the document too. I'm not sure what can be done about this besides finding ways to speed up exporting in general, or at the very least some kind of visual indicator that the changes have been saved, like a little spinner in the lower bar.