You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stacks from anisotropic minerals/crystals in polarized light with a lomo-microscope

Peter47628

It's the second I'll do beneath macro-stacks (indoor).I use a clockwork-lomo micorscope, build in 1973, an 21 mp ocular-cam hy-1138 from china, and for some photos I use not only polarizing filters but a cd-case for more colors.

This pic consisted of 172 jpg's with a ROW 6,0/0,15 lens.

Vitamin C mit ROW 6-0,15 und 0,35 15 MB.jpg

Wow! Long time since I have heard someone mention Cross-polarisation with rocks..I used to have to draw these images with an isograph...:)

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2402
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Stuart, no rocks, it was a solution of ascorbine-acid powder in destilled water, what crystalled again then when I put a drop or two on a glas. You can also take ethanol + water for the solution.

I've to learn a lot doing this within different crystalic powders, but it makes a lot of fun. 

Here are two examples when you put only the polarizer and analyzer on the right place into the light-beam - and when you place a piece of acryl there, too. But it must be molecularly deformed, as a cd-case for example. If not and it is only transparent, nothing happened and the colors will keep pastellic. It's ascorbine acid/vitamin C again.

Lomo Test 3 Vitamin C Pol 15 MB.jpg

Lomo Test 3 Vitamin C Pol und Plexi 15 MB.jpg

Wow ...does sound like fun....they look so much like igneous rocks in polarised light.....But also make fantastic abstract paintings..giving me ideas now...:)

like these

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2402
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

I'm glad to hear thet, Stuart. Rocks, little crystal pieces, amber too, I bought last year and stacked a lot of them with my lumix fz1000. But that would be another thread, when showing some examples.

Here is my microscope (without cam fitted, and without light). I modified the fine drive a little.  One complete turnaround of the knob is 0,1 mm and there were 50 degrees, one step therefore is 0,002 mm. Now I have at maximum 400 degrees with that black wheel I mounted, 8 times finer. It is needed when I use 16x or 20x lenses, not generally. 

Scheibenuhrwerks-Lomo 1.jpg

• 11 months later...

Lovely images and a great and relatively cheap thing for people to try

During lock down I purchased a seond hand [£50} celestron digital microscope off the web, took the screen off and added my own camera with two polarising filters.

The first (rotatable) goes over the light source and the other just before the camera.

Citric acid, Tartaric acid and sodium salts of either do well.

I then use focus stacking along with high pass filter (overlay) on a mono luminence layer is AP to bring out the sharpness.

I love the idea of a cd case, I have been using selotape but think a cd case would work even better as I can cut a square and rotate it

Still practising but here are a couple  of attempts

natart2.jpg

sodium_citrate_00001.jpg

needles.jpg