[Fixed] AP 1.7.0 Cropping does not work

qaman333

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Hi @qaman333,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

So that we are able to investigate bugs thoroughly could you please follow this link and update this post with the followings: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/71-bug-reporting/

Thanks,
Gabe. 

1. Immediately after installing AP 1.7.0, after selecting the area to crop,  clicking on the Apply button had no effect whatsoever.

After closing the application and trying again, it worked as usual. This behavior did not happen in 1.7.1

2. This forum does not allow to post any text with Firefox 67 although it works fine with Safari

Thanks

• Moderators

Let us know if it happens again and we can investigate this for you. 

I have not got any issues with Firefox 67, and we have not had any other reports of this; so I suggest you clear your Cache/Cookies, restart and try again. If you still have an issue, I suggest you contact Firefox support so they can check what's going on. 

I have also problems with cropping - aside that it appears kind of sluggish now compared to as it used to be I have the following issues:

I take most of my pictures in the size 6000x4000 and store it 3600x2400. All of a sudden I cannot longer use the crop tool, select as absolute size 3600x2400 and get a sub-frame   within the 6000x4000 picture. When I now define as absolute size 3600x2400 the whole picture remains still selected (i.e. only ONE frame) - hence no chance to get a smaller rectangle suitable to test for the section that would look best. My workaround: I define as ratio 3:2 and draw a frame starting top left i.e. at x=0 an y=0. Than I pull until the frame is slightly for example 3609x2406. Now I can move THAT frame as I need. Yet I would prefer to define the exakt frame in the first place. By doing so I reduce (hopefully) further deterioration of the picture as result of resizing from 3609x2406 to 3600x2400

Another change: When I define 3600x2400 as an own "custom crop size" it still selects 6000x4000 but the export dialog shows automatically 3600x2400. My workflow before was, that the actual size of the manipulated picture was shown - for example 4500x3000 - and I had to change that to 3600x2400

Is there something I have missed with the recent updates?

Absolute cropsize.jpg

1 hour ago, Affni said:

When I now define as absolute size 3600x2400 the whole picture remains still selected (i.e. only ONE frame) - hence no chance to get a smaller rectangle suitable to test for the section that would look best.

When you use Absolute Size, in 1.7, you can adjust the cropping box to compose the image however you want, including as much or as little as you want, by dragging a corner handle. It should maintain the aspect ratio that corresponds to the dimensions you entered, which is the only restriction on how you compose the image.

When you click Apply, whatever area you have selected within the cropping box will be resized and resampled to become the size you asked for.

You should end up with the whole frame selected initially only if the ratio of the dimensions you specified matches the aspect ratio of the original image.

-- Walt

Desktop: new:  Windows 11 Home, version 21H2 (22000.613) 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090  (old: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970 )
   Laptop:  Windows 10 Home, version 21H2 (19044.1706) 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Affinity Photo 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1342 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1342 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1282 Beta
 iPad Pro M1, 12.9", iPadOS 15.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard

Affinity Photo 1.10.5 (.280) and 1.10.2 (.266) Beta / Affinity Designer 1.10.5 (.21) and 1.10.3 (.19) Beta 

Hi walt.farrell

the purpose of "Absolute Size" is that I can define a frame using my keyboard - that is much more precise than trying to pull it with the mouse to EXACT 3600x2400. Besides this - what you describe is actually the first crop option i.e. no limit in ratio whatsoever. In other words according to your word I see no difference between Option #1 and #4 = German "Uneingeschränkt" and "Absolute Größe" = Unlimited vs. Absolute.

Crop-Options.png

3 hours ago, Affni said:

Hi walt.farrell

the purpose of "Absolute Size" is that I can define a frame using my keyboard - that is much more precise than trying to pull it with the mouse to EXACT 3600x2400. Besides this - what you describe is actually the first crop option i.e. no limit in ratio whatsoever. In other words according to your word I see no difference between Option #1 and #4 = German "Uneingeschränkt" and "Absolute Größe" = Unlimited vs. Absolute.

Crop-Options.png

There is a difference between #1 (in English, Unconstrained) and #4 (in English, Absolute Size).

Absoute size is constrained to the ratio between the width and height pixel values you entered in the boxes. That is, the box can be resized, but in that resizing it acts as though you had specified option #3 (in English, Custom Ratio).

But when you have finished composing your image by adjusting the box, and press Apply, the real difference between #1 and #4 becomes important.

• With #1, you are left with the pixels you selected, and your image is that size. That is, if you selected an image section that was 200px by 100px, you have a 200px by 100px cropped selection.
  • With #4, you are left with the pixels you selected, but they are resized and resampled to become the size you specified in the width/height boxes. So, if your crop box selection was that same 200px by 100px image section, but you had said you wanted a 3000px x 1500px image, you would end up with a 3000px x 1500px image made by resizing and resampling the pixels you selected.

So, using #4 (Absolute Size), you get a crop box with the ratio you want. That ratio may or may not be the same as the aspect ratio of your camera image.

• If it is the same ratio, then the crop box will (in my experience) cover your image. And if that is the image composition you want, just press Apply. If it is not the image composition you want, you can drag the corner handle to decrease the crop box size (maintaining the ratio) and compose the image you want. Press Apply, and your smaller part of the image is enlarged to the size you requested.
  • If it is not the same ratio the box will not cover the full image. You can move the crop box around to compose the image, or adjust its size using the corner handle. When done composing, press Apply and your chosen image is resampled and enlarged to the size you requested.

Or, using #1 you can get a crop box of the size you specify. If that is smaller than the original image, then you move the crop box around (not resizing it, just moving it) to compose your image, and press Apply. No resizing and no resampling occurs.

I think the new mode, Absolute Size, was developed based on comments from PhotoShop users that PhotoShop provided that Crop+Resize ability, but Affinity Photo did not.

-- Walt

Desktop: new:  Windows 11 Home, version 21H2 (22000.613) 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090  (old: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970 )
   Laptop:  Windows 10 Home, version 21H2 (19044.1706) 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Affinity Photo 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1342 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1342 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1282 Beta
 iPad Pro M1, 12.9", iPadOS 15.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard

Affinity Photo 1.10.5 (.280) and 1.10.2 (.266) Beta / Affinity Designer 1.10.5 (.21) and 1.10.3 (.19) Beta 

What you explain as benefit of the absolute ration can be achieved with item 3 = own ratio as well. So from my point of view either option #3 or #4 is redundant.

I hope that the affinity-team reads all posts and considers to add an option which allows to define a selection via keyboard entries for "X" and "Y". Until this happened I will use this workaround:

I have saved a  3600x2400 selection and load it whenever needed. Then I can move the selection around. Once that best spot has been found I  copy the respective part to clipboard and go to "new file from the clip-board".