Jump to content
wigglepixel

[AP 1.7.0.367] Keyboard shortcut settings don't show difference between left and right Alt

Recommended Posts

During configuration of shortcuts to use a Wacom dial to rotate canvas I found this issue:

* In the settings shortcuts panel both left and right Alt-keys on the keyboard are displayed as 'Alt', so there is no way to see the difference between the two
* But the actual keyboard shortcut is in reality indeed bound to the left OR the right Alt key.

Looking in the interface it looks like both 'Rotate Left' and 'Rotate Right' are bound to the same shortcut (Alt+2), but in fact the first one is bound to AltLeft-2 and the second to AltRight+2. Affinity Photo knows this, because it doesn't show warning symbols to indicate a keyboard shortcut is already in use (it shows the regular clear-buttons):

keyboard-shortcuts-settings.JPG.5d72ca27434a770ff123fd8938fd662f.JPG

 

This is confusing and error-prone. It would be better if the interface shows AltRight and AltLeft instead for the alt-keys OR the software should treat both ALT-keys as the same (which I personally prefer and would expect).

(I posted this in the Photo AND Publisher beta bug forums too, because it's happening in all three programs. It's probably the same codebase, but just to be sure posted this in all three forums)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @wigglepixel,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

This has already been fixed in the current 1.7.1.

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Hi @GabrielM,

I don't see any change 1.7.1.404 (the latest version AFAIK). Still both Alt-keys ('Alt'(left) and 'Alt Gr' (right) ) are shown in the settings as just 'Alt', so we still can't see the difference between the two.

Or is there a newer version of 1.7.1 perhaps with this fixed?

image.png.2650ac38ec567476e4966fabd0633ade.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. That's the version I've got. Are you using Synergy(Symless) with a Mac server and Windows client like I do? If so, Mac does not know of "Altgr" and will only send an "alt" command via Synergy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Yeah. That's the version I've got. Are you using Synergy(Symless) with a Mac server and Windows client like I do? If so, Mac does not know of "Altgr" and will only send an "alt" command via Synergy. 

No, I'm using Windows 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it's worth, Gabe, I see the same thing on Windows 10, Photo 1.7.1.404, on my laptop and (if I remember correctly) on my desktop system. The keyboard shortcuts only show Alt no matter which Alt key was used, but they are differentiated and only the one I pressed in the Preferences dialog will actually work.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, GabrielM said:

What make/model? 

Gabriel, the brand or model of the keyboard is irrelevant information to solve this issue. Like I wrote in the opening post Affinity already knows which alt is pressed. This has nothing to do with hardware. It's just the Affinity software not showing the right label-texts. And that's certainly an easy thing to fix for a developer by just looking at the codebase alone. 

Maybe you could remove the [fixed] label in the title, because it's obviously not fixed yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

For what it's worth, Gabe, I see the same thing on Windows 10, Photo 1.7.1.404, on my laptop and (if I remember correctly) on my desktop system. The keyboard shortcuts only show Alt no matter which Alt key was used, but they are differentiated and only the one I pressed in the Preferences dialog will actually work.

Thanks for the confirmation @walt.farrell 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could not replicate this issue on several different keyboards. Without more info about your hardware, we cannot investigate this issue further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GabrielM said:

We could not replicate this issue on several different keyboards. Without more info about your hardware, we cannot investigate this issue further.

Seriously? This is no hardware issue and has nothing to do with the keyboard hardware nor driver. We can tell, because we can see clearly in the interface that Affinity knows the difference between the left and right alt (it's not showing a warning symbol when we use different alt keys), but just doesn't show the right name for the key (leftAlt / rightAlt (or AltGr)).

It's obviously happening on several totally different windows machines (I alone saw it on all three systems I work on, which are totally different both in hardware, age, as in configuration, and it's also confirmed by @walt.farrell as you could've read here).

This is clearly a problem in the Affinity software, so I'm very surprised by your reactions (and that you didn't remove the [fixed] from the title). Could it be you perhaps misunderstood my post?

Could you please post a video to show us it's working on a genuine Windows machine (so no Virtual Machine, or the Mac-configuration you were talking about before, but a PC (no Mac) with Windows)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, GabrielM said:

We could not replicate this issue on several different keyboards. Without more info about your hardware, we cannot investigate this issue further.

Samsung laptop, running Windows 10 Home 1903. Laptop details: NP700Z5C-S01UB with whatever it's standard built-in keyboard is,  which Windows identifies as a "Standard PS/2 Keyboard".

CyberPower desktop PC, running Windows 10 Home 1809. Keyboard is a Logitech MK710, which Windows identifies as an "HID Keyboard Device".

Both, in Keyboard Shortcuts, show the left- and right-Alt keys simply as "Alt", but as I mentioned above Photo does properly distinguish them when I try to use the shortcuts. If I set a shortcut using left-Alt then I must invoke it using left-Alt, not right-Alt.

 


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Samsung laptop, running Windows 10 Home 1903. Laptop details: NP700Z5C-S01UB with whatever it's standard built-in keyboard is,  which Windows identifies as a "Standard PS/2 Keyboard".

CyberPower desktop PC, running Windows 10 Home 1809. Keyboard is a Logitech MK710, which Windows identifies as an "HID Keyboard Device".

Both, in Keyboard Shortcuts, show the left- and right-Alt keys simply as "Alt", but as I mentioned above Photo does properly distinguish them when I try to use the shortcuts. If I set a shortcut using left-Alt then I must invoke it using left-Alt, not right-Alt.

 

Thanks Walt. It seems this only happens with a US keyboard(With no physical AltGR) and US layout. I've reproduced it here and logged it with our developers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×