You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AP 1.7.0.367] Keyboard shortcut settings don't show difference between left and right Alt

During configuration of shortcuts to use a Wacom dial to rotate canvas I found this issue:

* In the settings shortcuts panel both left and right Alt-keys on the keyboard are displayed as 'Alt', so there is no way to see the difference between the two
* But the actual keyboard shortcut is in reality indeed bound to the left OR the right Alt key.

Looking in the interface it looks like both 'Rotate Left' and 'Rotate Right' are bound to the same shortcut (Alt+2), but in fact the first one is bound to AltLeft-2 and the second to AltRight+2. Affinity Photo knows this, because it doesn't show warning symbols to indicate a keyboard shortcut is already in use (it shows the regular clear-buttons):

keyboard-shortcuts-settings.JPG.5d72ca27434a770ff123fd8938fd662f.JPG

This is confusing and error-prone. It would be better if the interface shows AltRight and AltLeft instead for the alt-keys OR the software should treat both ALT-keys as the same (which I personally prefer and would expect).

(I posted this in the Photo AND Publisher beta bug forums too, because it's happening in all three programs. It's probably the same codebase, but just to be sure posted this in all three forums)

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @wigglepixel,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

This has already been fixed in the current 1.7.1.

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Hi @GabrielM,

I don't see any change 1.7.1.404 (the latest version AFAIK). Still both Alt-keys ('Alt'(left) and 'Alt Gr' (right) ) are shown in the settings as just 'Alt', so we still can't see the difference between the two.

Or is there a newer version of 1.7.1 perhaps with this fixed?

image.png.2650ac38ec567476e4966fabd0633ade.png

12 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Yeah. That's the version I've got. Are you using Synergy(Symless) with a Mac server and Windows client like I do? If so, Mac does not know of "Altgr" and will only send an "alt" command via Synergy. 

No, I'm using Windows 10

For what it's worth, Gabe, I see the same thing on Windows 10, Photo 1.7.1.404, on my laptop and (if I remember correctly) on my desktop system. The keyboard shortcuts only show Alt no matter which Alt key was used, but they are differentiated and only the one I pressed in the Preferences dialog will actually work.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

What make/model? 

Gabriel, the brand or model of the keyboard is irrelevant information to solve this issue. Like I wrote in the opening post Affinity already knows which alt is pressed. This has nothing to do with hardware. It's just the Affinity software not showing the right label-texts. And that's certainly an easy thing to fix for a developer by just looking at the codebase alone. 

Maybe you could remove the [fixed] label in the title, because it's obviously not fixed yet.

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

For what it's worth, Gabe, I see the same thing on Windows 10, Photo 1.7.1.404, on my laptop and (if I remember correctly) on my desktop system. The keyboard shortcuts only show Alt no matter which Alt key was used, but they are differentiated and only the one I pressed in the Preferences dialog will actually work.

Thanks for the confirmation @walt.farrell 

9 hours ago, GabrielM said:

We could not replicate this issue on several different keyboards. Without more info about your hardware, we cannot investigate this issue further.

Seriously? This is no hardware issue and has nothing to do with the keyboard hardware nor driver. We can tell, because we can see clearly in the interface that Affinity knows the difference between the left and right alt (it's not showing a warning symbol when we use different alt keys), but just doesn't show the right name for the key (leftAlt / rightAlt (or AltGr)).

It's obviously happening on several totally different windows machines (I alone saw it on all three systems I work on, which are totally different both in hardware, age, as in configuration, and it's also confirmed by @walt.farrell as you could've read here).

This is clearly a problem in the Affinity software, so I'm very surprised by your reactions (and that you didn't remove the [fixed] from the title). Could it be you perhaps misunderstood my post?

Could you please post a video to show us it's working on a genuine Windows machine (so no Virtual Machine, or the Mac-configuration you were talking about before, but a PC (no Mac) with Windows)?

We could not replicate this issue on several different keyboards. Without more info about your hardware, we cannot investigate this issue further.

Samsung laptop, running Windows 10 Home 1903. Laptop details: NP700Z5C-S01UB with whatever it's standard built-in keyboard is,  which Windows identifies as a "Standard PS/2 Keyboard".

CyberPower desktop PC, running Windows 10 Home 1809. Keyboard is a Logitech MK710, which Windows identifies as an "HID Keyboard Device".

Both, in Keyboard Shortcuts, show the left- and right-Alt keys simply as "Alt", but as I mentioned above Photo does properly distinguish them when I try to use the shortcuts. If I set a shortcut using left-Alt then I must invoke it using left-Alt, not right-Alt.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Samsung laptop, running Windows 10 Home 1903. Laptop details: NP700Z5C-S01UB with whatever it's standard built-in keyboard is,  which Windows identifies as a "Standard PS/2 Keyboard".

CyberPower desktop PC, running Windows 10 Home 1809. Keyboard is a Logitech MK710, which Windows identifies as an "HID Keyboard Device".

Both, in Keyboard Shortcuts, show the left- and right-Alt keys simply as "Alt", but as I mentioned above Photo does properly distinguish them when I try to use the shortcuts. If I set a shortcut using left-Alt then I must invoke it using left-Alt, not right-Alt.

Thanks Walt. It seems this only happens with a US keyboard(With no physical AltGR) and US layout. I've reproduced it here and logged it with our developers.