You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problems with Open Recent and Save As in AD

I m using the latest Beta. I've had a lot of problems this afternoon. I went to open one of the two designs I made earlier - under Open Recent - and there were 4 versions of one and 8 versions of the other shown there. I opened the top one and worked on it for about half an hour then went to Save and got the message "Cannot save document as cannot verify you are the owner. Document will now close". All my work lost!

I opened the original again and this time tried Save As and renamed it. It did not change the open one I was working on, as is normal behaviour,  (still called original name) and does not appear in Open Recent (but it is shown in Finder).

These are designs I have to show my customer tomorrow but how can I rely on it saving my work properly?

I have regrettfully gone back to Sketch for now, I hope you can get this sorted soon, as I like AD but have to be able to rely on it doing the basic Mac stuff.

• Staff

We have fixed a bug that removes duplicates from the MRU, and another that updates the filename in the title bar after Save-As.  These will be in the next Beta, yet should not be the main problem here.

Other than that, the error you are describing is a very exceptional case... and in theory shouldn't happen.  We have a test to ensure that two instances of Affinity are not writing to the same file.  This protects against files becoming corrupted, especially when used in a network share or similar situation.  The error you described suggests that for some reason the test could not even be performed (let alone actually failed).

We could do with a little more information on your setup.  Are you using storage over USB?  Do you have the MAS and Beta versions running at the same time?  Are you using DropBox or similar?  Are you using a network share?

When the error occurred, was this the only Affinity file you had open?

Any information will help.

Thanks.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Update:

I discovered that none of my files from the whole day had been saved, although I had been saving and saving as throughout the day. Every one had reverted to the state they were in at 8am this morning!

However I was able to recover them from a Time machine backup made only 15 mins before the problem started, so clearly they had been saved throughout the day and AD somehow managed to later revert everything back to the originals.

I made copies, then tried them in the Apple Store version of AD. Behaviour is now as expected. Only one line per Open Recent, Save works properly and Save As renames the design you are working on in the app.

So hopefully it is gremlins in the Beta.

Our posts crossed, so here are the details you asked for:

No, beta and MAS not running at same time.

No, not storage over USB - direct from iMac hard drive).

I pulled some photos off Dropbox into AD earlier today into the project.

No network share (other than a wirelessly connected Time Capsule for Time Machine)

At the time, i think there was only one file open, though I have had two files open together at times during the day

I amusing latest version of Yosemite on 2011 iMac 16GB RAM

• Staff

I'm sure there is nothing in Affinity that can account for the behaviour you've described.  We just read and write files in the usual way.  We certainly don't do anything that could account for files changing to earlier versions and back again.

It sounds like something pretty strange was going on at the time it all appeared to go wrong, something outside of our control.

I'm not sure we can offer any more help, other than to say if you see anything like this happening again, please let us know.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

There's nothing that we do that can account for files jumping back to a version from 8am - we just write the data to your disk using standard functions.  Sounds like Time Machine or something else has changed those files.  As you said, when you did a restore, your saved files came back.  That had nothing to do with Affinity.

From what you said, things went strange following what was the last Time Machine restore point. I can't say what happened after that moment, but you say that you managed to recover your files from that restore point.  So, from what I can gather something unusual was going on.  Whether that was a MacOS, Time Machine or other issue, I can't tell without more information.

Is there a chance that your drive is on it's way out?  Perhaps run a diagnostic on it?

To now, we have fixed pretty much all the bugs that have been present related to saving files.  What's left are mainly issues such as network share or disconnecting USB storage while saving, and we've added protection for all of these problems.  As I said, the reason Affinity closed your file was because it could not validate the file it had open.  This only happens if some other software has changed the file in some way at the same time Affinity has it open.  The error it generated required that the file be closed as the contents did not match what was in memory.  Continuing to work on that file at that time would have resulted in a corrupted file, and so Affinity forced it to close instead.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB