You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug: Invisible text

image.png.4852fda46e285b6c73d478aa2c9e3dc1.png

First I'm using AD 1.7 Official Release version. I copied white text from an artistic text box and pasted into the newly created frame text box. The color of the frame text box is set to white. Layer opacity is 100%. Color opacity is 100%. It's also at the top of the layer stack within the artboard.

image.png.cb8f383744fbb2cd949bb6934c079e8d.png

The layer studio shows text in the layer too.

If I were copying text that was colored, and pasting into a text frame, I would expect the color to come along unless I pasted without formatting.

So if I were to copy white text into a text frame with a white background I would expect exactly what you got.

Or is there something I've missed in your description?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Is that black a rectangle or is it your art board that is black. Can we see your Layers panel. What I see is white text on a black rectangle. The only way I can get what you show is to have two art boards with grey on them and a Dark User Interface with clip to canvas on and the text frame in-between the art boards. I really had to work at it too.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

If I were copying text that was colored, and pasting into a text frame, I would expect the color to come along unless I pasted without formatting.

Correct. I copied white text into the frame text box and the color well shows it copied the white color with it.

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

So if I were to copy white text into a text frame with a white background I would expect exactly what you got.

As you can see in the screenshot the background isn't white but dark. The text is white. The other screenshot shows the text itself (in the layer studio) and the color (in the color studio).

Does that clear anything up?

image.thumb.png.de64d27ebd73bb395d1760197ca5c76c.png

I just created a new artboard in the same document. This time the artistic text doesn't display but the frame text does after switching tools. As you can see the artboard is black and the text is white.Opacity is 100% on both color and the layer itself. Also the layer is visible.

Still can't see all the layers but regardless. What happens if you change the colours?

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

Just now, Old Bruce said:

Still can't see all the layers but regardless.

The layers on the right side of the last screenshot I posted. There are only two layers in it. The first is artistic text. The second frame text.

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

What happens if you change the colours?

Nothing. Changing colors, changing color/layer opacity, moving it around, changing the layer order... none of it makes the text visible.

Okay, I can go with that, try copying and pasting into a new document. One element at a time.

What's "shape text"? I see it in the layer list in the document that I'm having problems but I can't seem to reproduce "shape text" in a new document. Wondering that type of element is messing with artistic text and frame text.

18 minutes ago, HYR said:

What's "shape text"? I see it in the layer list in the document that I'm having problems but I can't seem to reproduce "shape text" in a new document. Wondering that type of element is messing with artistic text and frame text.

If you start with a shape (e.g., rectangle, circle, etc.) and click on it with the Frame Text Tool you get a (Shape Text) object. You should see the Tool cursor change from a square with a T in it to a polygon with a T in it.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If you start with a shape (e.g., rectangle, circle, etc.) and click on it with the Frame Text Tool you get a (Shape Text) object. You should see the Tool cursor change from a square with a T in it to a polygon with a T in it.

So how do you disconnect them? I'd like the shape and text separate. Thought I don't think it's affecting it. (tried rasterizing it)

7 minutes ago, HYR said:

So how do you disconnect them? I'd like the shape and text separate. Thought I don't think it's affecting it. (tried rasterizing it)

I think you would need to duplicate the shape, and convert one of them to Shape Text. I don't think you can go back from that conversion except by Undo.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 month later...

Hello HYR,
If you first select the “invisible” text layer and then go to the Effects tab, is ‘Fill Opacity’ set to 0?
I know it’s a bit weird but even if no effects have been used, (so there is no little FX icon on the layer), the Effects tab’s ‘Fill Opacity' can still have an effect.
Might be worth a look.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.