You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pen/Tool Startup Lag on APh ver 1.7.0 (Mac)

Hi,

I just downloaded the AP version 1.7 yesterday, and the first thing i noticed was when drawing with the brush tool is there is a noticeable lag at the start. When using any of the drawing tools, there seems to be a slow start or "un-recognition" at the start of the stroke. I use a Wacom tablet and initially thought it could be the tablet's fault, but this problem also applies when using my computer's mouse, so I doubt its tablet related. This problem exists whether I'm working on existing files or on new files

I use a MacBook Air 2017 model

MacOS Mojave ver 10.14.5

Enclosed is a video to show the "lag". Pay close attention to the cursor

Please help, it is really annoying!

• Staff

Hi GarethuE8,

Welcome to the forums :) 

Please could you go to Affinity Photo > Preferences and send me a screenshot of the Performance tab?

Thanks

Callum 

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• Staff

Please could you try unticking the enable metal compute tick box then try setting the display dropdown to Open GL to see if this gives better performance?

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Wow! It worked. I unticked the box and used the Open GL option and the pen motions went back to being very fluid again!

I also wanted to point out that when I lowered the colour format of the file, it also got rid of some of the pen lag (I was previously using RGB/32 HDR), so I guess reducing the load of the document makes it less laggy (although this wasn't a problem in the last version)

Can I ask what exactly the reason behind the metal compute box and the Open GL things are and why they did what they did?

In any case, that you very much! 

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I have the same lagging problem in Affinity Designer. I just purchased AD, so I have the latest version installed (1.8.3). I use a MacBook Air (2015) runs on Mojave (10.14.6). 1.6 GHZ i5, 8GB/1600 MHz/DDR3. 
I looked around this forum for a simmilar question. The problem stated by GarethuE8 seems close to mine. 
So I looked at my setting in AD and unticked the metal compute box. I set the dropdown to OpelGL. I set my document to web-RGB/8 en 72 dpi. But no change.

I also have an old version of Adobe Illustrator (CS5). When painting with brushes there there is no lag. So it's not the performance of my laptop so it seems.

I use a Wacom Bamboo, but also with just the MacBooks trackpad it has the same lag.

Any suggestions for me to try?