You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

v1.7.0 Generating Export hangs or slows to a crawl.

Hi - I'm trying to export my working files (80 or so, currently) in order to do a delete/reinstall as v1.7 has been very slow and buggy. Exporting from a layered .afphoto file to a flattened 8 bit TIFF sent to dropbox. Previously when I would select export --> TIFF --> (set options, in this case, 8 bit TIFF, no compression, Adobe RGB 1998 color space) the "Generating export" spinning wheel would only take 5-10 seconds, at the very most. Now it's taking several minutes (up to 10 - 15 min) for the same files. 

Anything I can do about this? 

Please, please, can you make an install file of v1.6.12 available again until some of this stuff is worked out? If anyone has this file they can send me please let me know. I only have 1.6.2 backed up on my desktop. 

Thank you. 

Edit: I'm using a 2nd gen 12.9" iPad Pro 512GB -- iOS is up to date. Export bug seems intermittent, but happening more often than not. Doesn't seem to matter which file it is. 

A hunch I might have as to why this is happening (tell me if this sounds right): 

Could it be that Affinity Photo takes a while to generate export file IF there is a buffer of larger files being uploaded to Dropbox in the background? As there is no progress bar for that upload (which I assume takes a while, given what I know of my standard upload speeds) is there another way to see a progress on this? I suppose it'd just be logging into Dropbox at the same time out of Affinity and watching the progress on that end. 

msgphoto what I have found that does seem to work is to save often.

Yes you are correct this iteration is slow but I'm not ready to give up because I know it will get better.  

How I deal with saving and uploading, I don't upload to any cloud storage.  I save to my iPad then I use Airdrop to my computer.  Cloud storage is very dependent on the upload speed and mine is terrible.  You do have a half a T of storages to use hoping you have a Mac computer?

If you don't already know saving to photos on the iPad doesn't need an export.   Use the save button bottom left of your screen to save to photos on your iPad.  Unfortunately it won't save in AP format  

And the good news is that with iPadOS coming in the fall, we will be able to save to an external device.  Yes!!!!!!

When they start with the betas again, sign up for the beta for iPad.  You can have much more of an influence on the way the app functions. 

@p_mac Thanks, all good ideas. Yes, I'm very hopeful for iPadOS, I think that's the thing that will help realize what these machines can be. I work most often in the adobe suite on a desktop iMac, but I have long been a proud iPad Pro evangelist. I'm one of those people who hate working on laptops - hate it. I have an old macbook air sitting in a drawer. I can't stand trackpads. I love the iPad Pro and smart keyboard and apple pencil. I'm a pro photographer and shoot tethered to the iPad using a camranger. I downloaded Affinity Photo when I purchased my iPad Pro a couple years ago, but have only recently started really doing a deeper dive into it and I have been absolutely blown away. 

Getting some real external storage and file system capability (even if it is limited still) will be a huge step forward. 

I do save often while working in Affinity. I don't tend to save to the iOS camera roll as I've found that strips away filenames, which I rely on. I use dropbox to transfer to and from. I don't mind a slow upload speed but a progress bar of the transfer in the background would be hugely helpful as I'm sure having that going on slows down other operations. 

Still, the problem I've been experiencing here (at least, on this particular thread) is that simply generating the flattened export file takes forever. I attempted to flatten the AP file prior to generating the export and even the flattening operation took many, many minutes. We're not talking about a large number of layers. I don't do compositing, this is a fairly simple set of touch ups and adjustment layers. I can't imagine how long this would stall for the people doing serious compositing work where there are a hundred layers or more. Also, flattening first did not seem to make the generating export spinning wheel spin for much less time, either. 

• 3 weeks later...