You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paste Image Size Discrepencies

I'm unsure whether this is a bug or expected behaviour in v1.7 but it is a change from v1.6 so I'm raising it as a possible bug.

I frequently copy and paste images from Affinity Photo to Affinity Designer. The images in Affinity Photo are always by default 144 dpi (because they are screen grabs from a Mac Retina Display). By default when I open the screen grab in AP the document defaults to pixels as its unit of measurement (which is fine).

I then have an AD 'print' document set to 300 dpi and by default use mm for the units.

In version 1.6 when I copied the AP file/layer and pasted it into my AD file, AD would 'honour' the pixel size of the AP file regardless of the difference in dpi between the two documents, so e.g. if the AP file/layer I'm copying is 2,000 x 2,000px, when pasted into my AD file it was pasted as 169.33 x 169.33mm, i.e. 2,000 x 2,000px, so no conversion took place to account for the difference between the different dpi settings between AP and AD.

In version 1.7 this is not the case, taking the same scenario as above, AP document at 144dpi, default units set to pixels, AD document at 300dpi, default units set to mm. When copy/pasting between the two, the 144dpi file/layer pastes at 352.78 x 352.78mm which is 4,166.67 x 4,166.67px, i.e. it has resampled the pasted layer to honour the pixel resolution of the AD document (2,000px at 144dpi = 4,166.67px at 300dpi).

However, if before pasting the AP file/layer I change my AD document from mm to px units, maintaining the 300dpi document resolution, when I paste the same 2,000 x 2,000px layer from AP, it is pasted into AD at 2,000 x 2,000px and not 4,166.67 x 4,166.67px which seems a little odd, so it is ignoring the difference between the two document resolutions.

So my question is this, is this 'expected' behaviour in v1.7 or a 'bug', as in, shouldn't pasting the file/layer honour the conversion between the two different document pixel resolutions and adjust accordingly or should it paste at the same original size regardless of the difference between the AP and AD dpi's and document units which is the way it worked in v1.6, i.e. in v1.6 with the same set up as above, when I pasted the 2,000 x 2,000px file/layer from a 144dpi AP document with units set to pixels into a 300dpi AD document it pasted at 2,000 x 2,000px regardless of whether my AD document was set to mm or pixels.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sean,

I do recall people mentioning in v1.6 that the pixel size wasn't being honoured based on the resolution of the file when placing images so as you say this may be by design but what doesn't make sense to me is that the pixel size 'is' being honoured and resampled when copy/pasting between two different dpi's if the AP document is in pixels and the AD document is in mm yet when the AP file and the AD file are in pixels no resampling is taking place.

If anything I would have expected the behaviour to be the opposite of this, i.e. for any resampling to only affect the pasted image in AD when the AD file also is set to pixels rather than mm.

In v1.6 it didn't matter what the unit of measurement the AD document was set to, the pasted image from AP would always paste at the source size regardless of the difference in dpi, so if you copy/pasted a 2,000 x 2,000px file at 144dpi from AP it would paste to a 300dpi AD document at 2,000 x 2,000px regardless of whether the AD document was set to pixels or mm.

If you still have 1.6 you could test by setting up a 300dpi file in AD in both 1.6 and 1.7, then make a screengrab and open in AP, crop to say 2,000 x 2,000px and then copy/paste to both AD 1.6 and 1.7 with both the AD documents set to mm and then repeat with both the AD documents set to pixels.

I'd be keen to hear the feedback as to whether this is now expected behaviour in v1.7, despite appearing to be backwards or a bug?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Hi Hangman,

I've spoke to development and can confirm this is intentional behaviour. Essentially the idea is that if you're working on a photo (that has is in pixels) that has been cropped to be 4x4 inches and wish to place it in a document you are working on (say a publication) - it is likely you will want to keep the physical size of that photo, so it is resampled.

However if both documents are using the same units (be they physical or pixels) it is assumed you want to keep that size so it is not resampled.

Hope that makes some sense.