You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

grid turns off when document is closed then re-opened.

With 1.7, when I exit out of a document then re-open, or when I open Designer and select a document I have previously worked on, the Grid is turned off. This did not happen in 1.6.

Also, it would be nice to have a grid toggle button somewhere, though that's more of a feature request.

I am running latest version of iOS, iPad Pro 11" with Pencil.

Thanks!

Great update with v1.7 Serif. 

For this post’s issue, I’m experiencing the same problem.

Regarding a grid toggle button, you can...

- Select Grid in the document menu

- Tap Show Grid in the Context bar at the bottom

Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo (iPadOS 14 beta, iPad Pro 12.9” - 3rd Gen)

Sorry, by a toggle button I meant a button that stays on the screen (like the snapping toggle button lower left side), so the grid can be quickly toggle off and on. 

In general, it would be great to be able to customize what tools have dedicated on screen buttons.

18 hours ago, will w said:

Sorry, by a toggle button I meant a button that stays on the screen (like the snapping toggle button lower left side), so the grid can be quickly toggle off and on. 

In general, it would be great to be able to customize what tools have dedicated on screen buttons.

Agreed

Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo (iPadOS 14 beta, iPad Pro 12.9” - 3rd Gen)

Quick addition: I am finding that the grid also sometimes turns off while I'm working. When I go the the menu and select "grid", the show grid button is on (highlighted), and I have to turn off then on to get the grid back. I'm not sure what I'm doing when the grid goes off, as I have not noticed it when its happening---I just notice at some point that its gone.

• Staff
12 hours ago, will w said:

Quick addition: I am finding that the grid also sometimes turns off while I'm working. When I go the the menu and select "grid", the show grid button is on (highlighted), and I have to turn off then on to get the grid back. I'm not sure what I'm doing when the grid goes off, as I have not noticed it when its happening---I just notice at some point that its gone.

Hi will w,

Could you keep an eye out for what you're doing and let us know if you spot anything that is causing it!

Hi Sean,

Update: If I select "Place Image", then place the image and double click on it to edit/add to assets, then click the <-- button to return to my document, the grid is gone. When I select  "Grid" to turn it back on, the show grid button is already activated, and I have to click then unclick to reactivate the grid.

I guess maybe as far as AD is concerned, moving to an embedded document and then returning to main document is the same as exiting the document then reopening, so might not be different than the issue already discussed.

On a side note, when I return from editing the embedded document the main document is always highly pixelated until I pan the canvas. This happened in previous versions as well, though, so I assume devs are aware of this bug?

Also, I have had a lot more trouble lately with failing palm rejection, gestures being interpreted as non-gestures, and even eratic behaviour when trying to pan/zoom (also panning and zooming is often not smooth or fails or ends up moving an object). I think at this point the most egregious issue is this, plus the fact that the "touch for gestures only" option doesn't really work at all.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

The new 1.7 version is a great achievement, but....hopefully we will see another release before too long as there are still a number of major bugs that the devs are aware of but are yet to fix. :(

Multiple artboards priniting as single page PDF.

Guides not working with multiple artboards.

Bleed Settings not working properly.

Set rotation target not  adjusting in Transform studio.

Copy pasting symbols across docs causes crash.

Corner tool context menu not updating correctly.

Pen tool context menu Node Adjustment can't smooth nodes (breaks original node).

Grid spacing issue makes impossible to set exact grid spacing.

Grids not displaying accurately when zoomed in.

..... and so on.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 3 months later...

Just a note that as of 1.7.3.1, the grid issue described in this thread is still happening. I've also noticed that when rotating the canvas, the grid can become (or at least render) slightly off from the geometry that has already been snapped to it.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...