You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Importing and editing a Pdf

While waiting for Publisher I have been editing a book with text and photos in Blurb's Bookwright programme. When Publisher arrives, will I be able to export my book in Pdf form from Bookwright, open it in Publisher and continue to edit it (I am far from finished...)?

Why not? I converted a 100+ pages manual, but do not underestimate the Work that still has to be done. Do a test drive with some pages in the Publisher Beta.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

3 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Why not? I converted a 100+ pages manual, but do not underestimate the Work that still has to be done. Do a test drive with some pages in the Publisher Beta.

Good suggestion.   When you open the PDF in Publisher Beta (and later in release Publisher) be sure to check the box “Open as Editable Text” (or whatever, I am on iPad at the moment).   You can then quickly remove all of the paragraph returns/line breaks which appear at the end of each line with a single space, using View>Studio>Find and Replace.  That will get you started.   I find the next thing to do is to link all of the text frames.   A bit of a tedious chore, but necessary if you have text flowing from one page to another.   You will figure it out.   

3 hours ago, Anairb said:

While waiting for Publisher I have been editing a book with text and photos in Blurb's Bookwright programme. When Publisher arrives, will I be able to export my book in Pdf form from Bookwright, open it in Publisher and continue to edit it (I am far from finished...)?

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

1 hour ago, Anairb said:

What happens to the images - there are many?

They should come right in along with the text.  If you want to change any text wrap settings, particularly if you add material, or change margins, etc., you have to be sure to uncheck “Ignore Text Wrap” in the appropriate panel — VIEW>Studio>Text Frame — but then you can move images around and rewrap them.  I usually save the document as an .afpub file after doing the first steps I suggested above, then reopen the .afpub file and work from there.   Seems to be faster and easier.    

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

• 2 weeks later...

Finally!   But....   Using the full version of publisher I have opened the book.  The photos are fine (I will have to replace them as, when you export as a Pdf in Bookwright, the photos are saved in lower quality, probably to try and stop people from doing this), but the text is a complete mess.  Firstly, I have used American Typewriter as the font (to match with original text in an included facsimile copy of a book done in 1979 that was typed on an old typewriter). I couldn't find any way to add fonts to Publisher, so I substituted with Special Elite, a typewriter font that is recognised. However, this was NOT a success.  The text seems to have been double 'printed'.  Interestingly, when I open the Pdf in Photoshop it is fine. I have the font installed on my PC.

Is there any hope that Publisher will allow us to install fonts?

You don't have to add font to APub, it will use the installed fonts onyour system, and if it's open and you install another font, it'll tell you soon about this new font.

If the font is already installed, APub should reconize it, unless the font on your system is different from the one used for the PDF (or it's possible that the PDF use a different way to name this font, but you should be able to replace the missing fonts when you first open the PDF in APub).

Usually Photoshop rasterize fonts when opening a PDF, that's not usefull when we want to modify the text.

6 hours ago, Anairb said:

The font is installed on my system - APub doesn't recognise it.  It's the correct name, etc. It just offers to replace it. When you search through the fonts to replace it isn't there.

When you say "it isn't there" do you mean that the font you used in the PDF isn't in Publisher's font list?

If that's what you mean, then if you simply use the font pull-down when you have the Frame Text Tool or the Artistic Text Tool active, does it show up there? If not, your font may not be compatible with Publisher. I recall reading that some older fonts are not compatible, but I don't know the details or if that was ever confirmed.

If the font is a free one, you could attach it here, and one of the forum members (or Serif staff) will be able to analyze it.

If it's not free, Serif could provide a private upload link for you to use so only they would be able to see it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Do you have "All fonts" selected next to or within the font list.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

10 hours ago, Anairb said:

The font is installed on my system - APub doesn't recognise it.  It's the correct name, etc. It just offers to replace it. When you search through the fonts to replace it isn't there.

If you are trying to replicate an old book which was typewritten, then I assume you only need one font - the regular (or Medium in that font family).
So really you only need one font.
As I mentioned in your other thread, if these are bootleg fonts they have name conflicts between the various fonts which causes problems in APub and other applications.
One font alone may work.
So un-install all except the Med/regular.

I fixed the fonts today.
Going to test in APub tomorrow.

Finally found the font in the Fonts section in Creative Cloud. Had to activate it, and, after a restart it appeared in APub at last. Don't know why APub didn't recognise it on either the MacBook or the PC, both of which have it in their Fonts.

I needed all the various versions (Norman/Bold/Normal Italic/Bold Italic) as the new text uses these.

Relieved...

On 6/22/2019 at 2:56 PM, Anairb said:

Finally!   But....   Using the full version of publisher I have opened the book.  The photos are fine (I will have to replace them as, when you export as a Pdf in Bookwright, the photos are saved in lower quality, probably to try and stop people from doing this), but the text is a complete mess.  Firstly, I have used American Typewriter as the font (to match with original text in an included facsimile copy of a book done in 1979 that was typed on an old typewriter). I couldn't find any way to add fonts to Publisher, so I substituted with Special Elite, a typewriter font that is recognised. However, this was NOT a success.  The text seems to have been double 'printed'.  Interestingly, when I open the Pdf in Photoshop it is fine. I have the font installed on my PC.

Is there any hope that Publisher will allow us to install fonts?

Having solved the Font problem, on to the Text problem.  It appears that when APub imports a Pdf it does something a little strange. Each piece of text comes with up to 10/15 Layers - called 'Curves'. You have to delete them to get back to the plain text. It's a real Pain in the A...  Also, I have a major problem in that I have started resizing all the pages in the Bookwright version (I had misjudged how close the text and photos were to the bleed...my bad....). I spent rather a long time trying to figure out how to do this in APub, finally coming to the conclusion that this should be done from the beginning.  To do the process at this late stage is much easier in Bookwright (no matter how much I complain).
Too late for me to do this now.  It'll have to wait until my next book....

Have learnt a lot about APub in this little adventure. It is an enormous programme, not always intuitive. I've bought both the Windows and the Mac versions (thank heavens for the discounts...).  Love the way you can nip backwards and forwards to Photo and Designer.  This will make my next opus much easier.