You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Promotion of Upsplash (sic)

My question is about Upsplash who gives images away for free being advertised as as a place to send your images within the latest update of Affinity photo.

But thank you for approving my thread so quickly.

As you are a moderator why is Affinity advertising Upsplash? Which undermines all pro or semi pro photographers trying to sell their images for sensible prices?

I started using Affinity photo when Lightroom  went to subscription, the other reason was Adobe was part of microstock which killed of thousands and thousands of pro photographers.

But it seems Affinity photo has gone far worse than Adobe by advertising within its software Up splash that gives its images away for free, which will kill of thousands more photographers.

• Staff

Hi DOT673,
Are you referring to the Stock panel? Where did you see it advertised as a place to send images? That panel provides (direct) access to royalty free image providers such as Unsplash, Pexels etc for users convenience. Anyone can get those images through their websites anyway, similarly to what happens with fonts where some apps also provide direct access to free Google Fonts.

Yes within the Stock panel, I agree anybody can get those images through their websites anyway, but why does Affinity photo advertise Upsplash who gives it images away for free

as a place to send images.

You have to pay for Cameras, Camera lenses, Computers, and Computer software like Affinity, we don't get these things for free, so why advertise a site giving images away for free

undermining all photographers trying to sell their images for sensible prices.?

6 minutes ago, DOT673 said:

How can Affinity photo be taken seriously by pro and semi pro photographers

Despite the existence of sites such as Morguefile, Pixabay and Unsplash (not “Upsplash”!) there’s clearly still a huge market for stock images which aren’t free, otherwise sites such as Shutterstock, Depositphotos and 123RF would have gone out of business long ago.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I disagree you are advertising Upsplash, you have Upsplash within your software as a recommended place to send your images.

You are directly advertising Photographers to Upsplash who will those Photographers zero money for their images.

So you are undermining pro and semi pro photographers trying to sell their images for sensible prices.

To Alfred Upsplash is a fledgling Microstock agency, this is how micro stock agencies start, they start giving images away for free and when they amass enough images from the fools and village idiots who supply them, they then start charging for images.

This is how Istock started all Microstock sites are parasites who feed of the fool Photographers who supply them.

Advertising or not, Unsplash and other sites that offer royalty free photos, do not offer pro quality. So, a serious user who wants really pro photos to buy will search for them on other sites.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Anyone that uploads their images to sites like UnSplash agree to their terms. They know those sites are not going to make them any money. The participants probably are not professional photographers. Affinity providing access to them is no way harming any professional photographers. I seriously doubt any "pros" are losing any sleep over them. A pro photog will establish the target market they want, part of that is by setting their pricing accordingly. They will not give away work that could put food on the table. So stop worrying about them, they certainly are not worrying about you.

Your main question being How long for thread to be approved? Well IMHO, since all you wanted to do was demean Serif's product, business practice, wasn't long enough. Should have waited about 10 yrs. ;):D

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

On 6/7/2019 at 12:25 PM, DOT673 said:

I disagree you are advertising Upsplash, you have Upsplash within your software as a recommended place to send your images.

• At least try to get the name right. It is not "Upsplash" but "Unsplash."
  • Including Unsplash (among others) as a source for stock images is in no way a recommendation to send any images there.
  • If this amounts to Affinity Photo 'advertising' Unsplash, then the same is true for over 1000 other apps as well.
  • If, as you theorize, Unsplash's plan is to start charging for images when they get enough of them, it must be a remarkably long con, because they currently have about 850,000 free photos available.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

R C-R

I suspect that DOT673 knows the name of the image provider and is aware of the SEO influence of saying the name right over and over and does not wish to further promote, so is using a (similar) misspelling consistently and deliberately.

Under that assumption I have renamed this thread according to his original (now hidden) thread

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

10 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

R C-R

I suspect that DOT673 knows the name of the image provider and is aware of the SEO influence of saying the name right over and over and does not wish to further promote, so is using a (similar) misspelling consistently and deliberately.

Maybe so, but since that has provoked the correct spelling to be mentioned 8 times so far in this topic (& anyone who searches for "Upsplash" with any of the popular search engines is going to get results for the correct spelling anyway), it seems pointless to do that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 6/7/2019 at 6:30 PM, DOT673 said:

How can Affinity photo be taken seriously by pro and semi pro photographers when it advertises within its software an agency undermining those photographers?

Rest assured that pro/semi pro photographers use professional software. Not AP. :) This software is targeting another segment of users with smaller budgets. But that is beside your main (valid) point.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

15 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Rest assured that pro/semi pro photographers use professional software. Not AP.

So for example, you do not consider Elena Paraskeva (a Digital Camera Photographer of the Year winner, among other achievements) to be a pro or semi-pro photographer? :o

Affinity Photo 

Do you really believe in marketing?:) Is a Serif owned marketing oriented site a credible source? The girl who made the new splash screen for Designer works in... Illustrator fx. I love her creations. But in real life she works in Adobe Illustrator for a living. And Elena works in Adobe Photoshop CC:

https://www.photocrowd.com/blog/86-interview-elena-paraskeva/

Same woman in august 2018 interviewed in an article about photography - then she was using Photoshop. And she always shoots RAW. If she does that I refuse to believe she would pick an inferior RAW converter for a Nikon D810 full frame camera. I believe she is still an Adobe CC customer.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

7 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Do you believe in marketing?:)

Yes I do, but I also believe there are lots of pro/semi-pro photographers who do not limit themselves to working in Photoshop or any one other app.

More to the point, i believe that the diversity of people around the world who are in fact pro or semi-pro photographers makes it impossible for anyone to say with any assurance what they might use, either professionally or for their own private work, at any particular time or what circumstances would affect which one or ones they might decide to use.

Affinity Photo 

On 6/9/2019 at 5:00 PM, R C-R said:

Yes I do, but I also believe there are lots of pro/semi-pro photographers who do not limit themselves to working in Photoshop or any one other app.

More to the point, i believe that the diversity of people around the world who are in fact pro or semi-pro photographers makes it impossible for anyone to say with any assurance what they might use, either professionally or for their own private work, at any particular time or what circumstances would affect which one or ones they might decide to use.

The very successful pro photographers do not retouch their work, they farm it out to pro retouchers. I'd guess those retouchers do stick with the industry "standard", ie; Photoshop. 

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

23 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

The very successful pro photographers do not retouch their work, they farm it out to pro retouchers. I'd guess those retouchers do stick with the industry "standard", ie; Photoshop. 

Again, I think the diversity of pro photographers around the world, regardless of how "very" successful they are, makes it impossible to know with any certainty if they all do this, all always use the same app(s) or none at all, or much of anything else about them all.

It isn't much different from saying that all the very successful pro photographers always use the same make of camera, shoot for the same compositional or artistic effects, or work for clients that all want the same results.

Affinity Photo 

44 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

The very successful pro photographers do not retouch their work.

But they take hundreds of them to pick only one or two successful...

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)