You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

afphoto files in Version 1.7 are huge compared to Version 1.6

I've seen this mentioned by only a couple of people in the bug forums. The Serif rep seemed surprised at the report and there has been no reply as yet. Here's an example

jpg photo of my garden straight from camera: 6,958 KB

Open photo in AP 1.6, do nothing, save as afphoto: 7,442 KB

Open photo in AP 1.7, do nothing, save as afphoto: 18,987 KB

Open the AP 1.6 afphoto file in version 1.7, do nothing, save as afphoto: 60,225 KB

Anyone else seeing huge file sizes? For my basic needs I'm used to afphoto files being not much larger than my original jpg files. Seeing them 10 times larger is a shock, especially when this simple example doesn't have any editing at all applied to the photo.

Affinity Photo 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering what happened to the posts that followed my original June 7 post in this thread.  Today only my original post that started this thread is visible. I do remember there were some followup posts here. In fact, a graphic image posted by someone else in this thread after I started it is included in my posts on June 9 and June 10 when I was pointing readers to other threads where ballooning file sizes in Affinity Photo were being discussed.  Those particular links now show there were no replies to this thread, but the erroneous graphic was captured from one of the replies to this thread at the time and included in the text inserted by the Forum software when I pasted the text link.

Affinity Photo 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

I mean the link shown in this screen capture image as it appears just now in the thread titled File Sizes in Photo for Windows - 1.7.0 (split). The image showing the NEF File is not something I posted as I don't even know what a NEF file is. Someone had posted a reply to my original post and when I linked to the thread that image was brought into the link as displayed by the Forum. I will not include the link to the File Sizes in Photo for Windows - 1.7.0 (split) because there is no telling how it will appear in this post. It's easy to find the thread as it is near the top of this Photo Bugs in Windows forum right now.

Timage.png.4a29f600fb4a1df5734ba31714b5e6a4.png