You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Batch Process Fails with version 1.7.0.367

I have two macros that I will run in a batch process against .tiff files to get ready for processing in Affinity Photo. The first macro makes a copy of the background layer and names it to "Color Efex Pro 4 - ". The second macro simply creates a new pixel layer and names it "Cleanup Layer". Both macros only have two steps.

In AP 1.7.0.367 when I select say 12 files to run in the batch process and execute these two macros only 2 or 3 (it is not consistent in the number if will process) then the batch process will end without error and AP will shutdown. On restarting AP there is no indication that any sort of error has taken place. That is the mail problem.

The second problem is that in the Library panel the option to Edit a macro is greyed out. I found this when I was going to open the macro to look at the code. The options to Delete Macro or Rename Macro are active but the Edit Macro is greyed out.

I have attached an export of Editing Macros - Marvin.afmacros for your use in testing.  In this library category the two files I am call in the batch process are "Create Layer for Color Efex Pro 4" and "Create Cleanup Layer". I call them in that order. These macros have been running for about a year without any difficulty in Batch processing batches containing as many as 40 .tiff files.  The error I have described above is happening when I try a batch of only 12 files.

Running Windows 10 with latest updates.

Thank you

Marvin "Butch" Reinhart

Editing Macros - Marvin.afmacros

For the first problem try switching Parallel Processing off in the batch job screen (this was supposedly "fixed" but try it switched off)

For the second problem the option to Edit a macro will be greyed out if you have no document open

I have tested editing your macros with a document open and it edits Ok 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I have done it with and without Parallel Processing on. Additionally, after I posted my initial problem I went back and looked at the size of the files created by the batch process.  The size of the file created when the macros were run as a part of the batch process the size of the AP file created was 450MB.  When I opened the same .tiff file and ran the two macros manually the size of the AP file created was 173MB. So, there is definitely something taking place in the batch process of running these two macros that is in error.

Appreciate your info on the reason the Edit was greyed out. Should have realized that. 

Thanks

Marvin "Butch" Reinhart

I tested the batch function with one simple JPG file, converting to an AFPhoto file and assigning 2 macros (not yours just 2 of the simple default macros)

I could get it to consistently crash on the 2nd or subsequent runs using the same parameters in the batch screen

That is, it crashes when using 2 macros and it has to overwrite the AFPhoto file previously created on the first run

I could not get it to crash when using just 1 macro no matter how many times I ran it

1. Recommend you edit your first macro and add the steps from your second macro, then save as a new 3rd macro and run the batch job again just using the 3rd macro to see what happens.

2. As regards the file size differences you mention in your last post.  I also see this when using a  batch job with no macros assigned, so I do not think macros are relevant here.

3.  It's a sunny Sunday morning where I am so I've only spent 10 minutes on this.  My observations/conclusions should really demand more testing on my part before posting this post, but the dog has other ideas for how to spend today, which usually involves chasing balls and sniffing a lot of butts.  If only my life was that simple.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi,

I'm trying to batch convert Sony ARW file to Affinity Photo file. I'm converting 300+ images. I have done this in the past multiple times without issue. With version 1.7 the batch process fails every time. I turned off "parallel processing". Affinity Photo still crashes without any warning. Please help.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with Affinity Photo quitting a batch process without an error still exists. The first macro makes a copy of the background layer and names it to "Color Efex Pro 4 - ". The second macro simply creates a new pixel layer and names it "Cleanup Layer". Both macros only have two steps.  I attached copies of these macros to the original report above. I have run these macros successfully for many months.  There was something changed in 1.7.0.367 that caused this situation to start occurring. The test that I just ran was to try running those macros in a batch process on 5 files.  After the first two photos AP quit without giving an error message. As stated before the process will stop after 2 or 3 files are processed. I have tested this with and without parallel processing checked and get the same results.

Please, before anyone tells me to combine the two macros, understand that I have a series of individual macros from which I will pick two or three to combine depending on what I am going to be doing with a particular photo. 

Thanks,

Thank you very much. Also, yesterday I posted an update to this situation with the title "Batch Process Creates Very Large Files Ver 1.7.1.404". When I ran a test using a single macro in the batch process, it failed after creating two files.  So, I simply restarted Affinity Photo and ran the macro manually.  I saw that the .afphoto file created by the batch process was 359mb while the .afphoto file created by manually running the macro and saving as an .afphoto file was only 159mb.

Thanks

Marvin "Butch" Reinhart

• 1 month later...

The problem with the batch process crashing looks to be fixed in Beta 1.7.2.445  I just tested this morning against a batch of 8 .tif files using the same two macros used for earlier testing to find the crash and everything went Great.

However, the problem in the file sizes still exists.  Using the current release (1.7.1.404) the test file I ran through the batch process created a ,afphoto file with a size of 310MB and the same file when manually loaded and the same test macros run as were run in the batch creates a file of 117MB in size. That is a good bit of difference and would discourage someone from using the batch process to create a large number of  .afphoto files.

Thanks

Marvin "Butch" Reinhart

4 hours ago, GabrielM said:

That's great. The file size issue has not been marked as fixed yet. 

Thank you. Good to know the file size issue is being looked at. Your team is always on top of it. Appreciate it.

Marvin "Butch" Reinhart