You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't install 1.7.0 & old version gets deleted

Hi I just tried to install version 1.7 and it goes through to install it and says 'Setup failed'. I did the screen shot with Designer 1.7 which works just fine.

I can't use 1.65 now because the setup deleted it completely. This happens when I run the installer of my purchased version as well as the update.

Please help!

Thanks,

Dave H

Untitled.jpg

Not exactly a verbose error code is it? It gives your programmers absolutely nothing to work with...

Thanks for the reply, Affinity photo does not show up in that program, I suspect because I deleted all the Registry references to it so I could do a fresh install -  which didn't work as I explained.

How do I do a fresh install, please? What do I delete, so the computer thinks it's never seen it before?

Otherwise I've wasted my money on something that I can't use, which is a shame because I really like Aff. Photo.

My only choice would be go back to *gulp*.. Gimp! And don't want to do that.

Did you purchase it from Serif or MS store? I'm guessing from Serif. Do you still have the 1.6.5 exe file? (Ok I see where you say the setup for the update deleted it.) I keep copies of them stored somewhere else on my system. You might try logging into your Serif Affinity account and downloading that file again. IF there's a setup file for the 1.7 update, delete it before trying to install the 1.6.5 version.

Something else you might try before installing. Go to your Temp folder located under your Username, Appdata, Local Temp. Open that folder and delete everything inside it. I will do that periodically anyway. They're all just temp files and get rather large fast. Then reboot your system and try to install the 1.6.5 version.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

What version of Windows are you running. To show us, you might press and hold the Windows key, then press R. In the Run box that appears type winver and press OK or enter. Then give us a screenshot of the About Windows window that comes up.

You can also try:

1. Rebooting before running the install.
  2. Right-clicking on the installer and choosing Run as Administrator.
  3. Pressing and holding the Windows key, then pressing R, and entering %temp%\AffinitySetup into the Run box, and pressing enter.
    That will bring up a File Explorer window showing some folders. Find the newest one, and look at the Setup.log and SetupUI.log files in that folder. Look for errors (often accompanied by the word Error. Show us any error messages that you find. Or, if you want, the Serif staff will be able to provide an upload link so they can look at the files.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell,

I wonder if the OP has any of the files on his system, after going through his registry deleting everything to do with Affinity Photo.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

9 hours ago, Ron P. said:

@walt.farrell,

I wonder if the OP has any of the files on his system, after going through his registry deleting everything to do with Affinity Photo.

Good question. No idea as to an answer or what effect modifying the registry might have had.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

20 hours ago, DaveHoskins said:

've deleted everything I can find in the registry

I hope you made a backup beforehand !

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

On 6/8/2019 at 3:02 AM, walt.farrell said:

What version of Windows are you running. To show us, you might press and hold the Windows key, then press R. In the Run box that appears type winver and press OK or enter. Then give us a screenshot of the About Windows window that comes up.

You can also try:

1. Rebooting before running the install.
  2. Right-clicking on the installer and choosing Run as Administrator.
  3. Pressing and holding the Windows key, then pressing R, and entering %temp%\AffinitySetup into the Run box, and pressing enter.
    That will bring up a File Explorer window showing some folders. Find the newest one, and look at the Setup.log and SetupUI.log files in that folder. Look for errors (often accompanied by the word Error. Show us any error messages that you find. Or, if you want, the Serif staff will be able to provide an upload link so they can look at the files.

Thanks for some help... I've tried rebooting and running as Admin. It's usually the first thing I try.

Version.jpg.9bad006defea3a816def12ec265cd2aa.jpg

Also included setup logs from my last try today...

Setup.log

SetupUI.log

Edited by DaveHoskins
File included my person info and reg key!!

On 6/8/2019 at 2:50 AM, Ron P. said:

Did you purchase it from Serif or MS store? I'm guessing from Serif. Do you still have the 1.6.5 exe file? (Ok I see where you say the setup for the update deleted it.) I keep copies of them stored somewhere else on my system. You might try logging into your Serif Affinity account and downloading that file again. IF there's a setup file for the 1.7 update, delete it before trying to install the 1.6.5 version.

Something else you might try before installing. Go to your Temp folder located under your Username, Appdata, Local Temp. Open that folder and delete everything inside it. I will do that periodically anyway. They're all just temp files and get rather large fast. Then reboot your system and try to install the 1.6.5 version.

There is longer a 1.6.5 download available.

5 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Both of those logs indicate success - what happened during that installation attempt?

Those logs are from Designer I think the OP is having trouble with Photo

If so we need the Photo logs

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

This is from trying 1.7 again....

There error in it is...

"+Info: CustomAction  returned actual error code 1610 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
+Error: The older version of Affinity Photo cannot be removed.  Contact your technical support group.  
+Info: Action ended 17:03:23: RemoveExistingProducts. Return value 3.
+Info: Action ended 17:03:23: INSTALL. Return value 3."

Setup.log

SetupUI.log

• Staff

Can you run that tool again from Microsoft and when it lists all apps installed, there should be an option for "Not Listed". Click that option and when prompted, enter {7392fb3e-25b1-4337-90f1-8f481e6631a1}  - once you've done this are you able to install the 1.7 version?

I'm doing this from memory because I'm using a Mac at the moment and won't be at a Windows machine until I get back to work tomorrow :/

• Staff
13 hours ago, DaveHoskins said:

I just used the product code for 1.7 that I got from those setup logs- {A1BDC1C9-F2B1-40CB-9326-415C56A60B81}

And it worked perfectly. It takes a few minutes mind.

Thank-you so much, the world is all shiny again!! :D

Dave H.

Strange as the log file states: +Info: CustomAction  returned actual error code 1610 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
+Error: The older version of Affinity Photo cannot be removed.  Contact your technical support group.  

Anyhow, thanks for letting us know and we're happy to know you've sorted it! I will continue to investigate why this happened :)

Hello, 

Just wanted to let you know i got the same issue. Please note you can also fix it with changing the install directory. i changed it to /photo17 and it installed without fail. (i tried to run the install 3 times prior without changing to no avail. tried the fix blocked program to no avail.

Windows 10 PRO - Build 17134 - Windows Domain Environment.