You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Embedded image instead of linked? - OneDrive bug

Dear support,

I updated Affinity Photo, and use linked imaged when place an image by default. I need old placement: embedded image when I place an image. Or need select what I prefer.

How or where can I change this function in AP and AD?

Update: Options there is in Publisher, but nowhere in Photo and Designer! Please check this if missed option is a bug!

embedded.jpg

Photo and Designer are not supposed to support Linking, only Embedding. Therefore they do not need that option.

What leads you to think your Placed images are Linked?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

No, I created 1.7 project in Photo, and place many images. After these images moved to a different folder, I get an error: missing linked images, and change these. Project size is little: 610 KB only. I attached project here.

Please add link/embedded options (as in Publisher), or I cannot use this project in future just with images...

keseruen-edes-reloaded.afphoto

What version of Photo 1.7 did you use? Was it one of the beta versions, and some time ago?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

No, this is a final version of 1.7 version, updated from 1.6.5.123. Beta versions uninstalled, and latest install was Publisher beta. I think, Photo get settings from Publisher (like bleed settings if edited in Designer), but nowhere settings under Photo and Designer.

Ok, try it:

- install Photo and Designer to 1.7

- install Publisher latest beta

- create a new project with Photo, save it

- place a few images in Photo project, asave it, and close. Move photos to a different folder, and run Photo.

16 minutes ago, mykee said:

Ok, try it:

Did and I don't see what you are describing. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I tried it, too. No problems in Photo. And Publisher's Resource Manager confirmed (before I moved them) that they were all embedded, not linked.

You should be able to use Publisher to repair your .afphoto file. Open it in Publisher, find the new location of the photos using the Resource Manager and Replace them in the file. Then convert them to Linked if they say embedded, and Save As under a new .afphoto name.

-- Walt
PC:

Hmmm.. I made same results on my second PC too...

Here is deleted beta and 1.6.5 versions (Designer and Photo too), and install 1.7 versions. Images linked too. :/O.o

I see a few buttons with Edit image. If I click to button, image will open on second tab. Is this a Publisher integration? :|

Update: ok, I found it!!! This is a OneDrive bug again!!! :o:40_rage:

Source images from OneDrive, and then Photo/Designer linked automatically.  Please check this: place an image from a OneDrive folder!

We have a OneDrive bug too (locked folder), and here is a second problem.. 

linked.jpg

Interesting... After install Affinity Publisher RC1, then problem solved. I opened a photo project in Publisher, place mode has changed from linked to embedded, save and open in Photo. And working.

But if has linked images in projects, and change document settings from linked to embedded, then nothing changed, images will not embed from link. Need delete image, and insert again. Please add this feature for Publisher (if Photo and Designer will not include): when change from linked to embedded, then linked image insert to project from links.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm... I catched this bug again. What I made:

• download a picture with best resolution from Pixabay to a OneDrive folder directly
  • open Affinity Photo and create a custom presets on New window. Selected presets to Print Press-Ready, and dimensions to 130mmx197mm, and change Colour format to RGB/8. Save this preset with a custom name (I added 'Könyvborító webre'). Click OK, I get new empty project.
  • File -> Place, and select downloaded Pixabay photo.
  • Save project to a OneDrive folder. Check filesize! If size is nearest to 1 MB, then image is linked, and follow next steps! If bigger (like 10 MB or bigger), then embedded, and that's all, you have no bug.
  • If you think, image is linked, then close project in Photo, and open with Publisher
  • after opened in Publisher, go to Document -> Resource Manager, and will see: image is linked... After click Make Embedded, and save project, file size will bigger.

Please test these steps!