You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo (Desktop/Laptop) 1.7. I've downloaded the Lensfun database from Github (as explained in the YouTube tutorial video).

I'm using a Samyang f/2.0 12mm NCS CS lens on a Panasonic G6. The lens is manual, but I'm using Exif Editor to add the lens data to the RAW file. Affinity Photo seems to recognise this, as the lens name appears in the EXIF data. However, no lens correction is applied (lens not recognised!).

I have applied the exact same process when using my Samyang f3.5 7.5mm Fish-eye lens, and this is recognised for lens correction.

I'm out of ideas!

Regards,

Biff

I don't think that downloading the Lensfun database will get you anything, but I havent tried it. What YouTube video did you watch?

In any case, in Photo 1.7 you can install individual lens profiles, as XML files. Open Preferences, and in the General section there's a button to open the directory or folder where you would put manually added profiles:

image.png.ca4534f30a0cea9287f0515fb0f75a08.png

You just need to create or download the XML file for your lens (possibly using information from the Lensfun database) and put it in that directory or folder.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

18 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

What YouTube video did you watch?

@walt.farrell, Biff was referring to the new 1.7 video https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/330446061 by James Ritson.

Affinity Photo, Designer, (1.10.4.1198); Sketchup

Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit; Ver. 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1566)

Intel i7-4790, 4 GHz; RAM:16GB; Graphics Card: ASUS (AMD) R9280-DC2T-3GD5.

Graphics Tablet: Huion Inspiroy HS610; Calibration: X-rite i1Display Pro

21 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't think that downloading the Lensfun database will get you anything, but I havent tried it. What YouTube video did you watch?

In any case, in Photo 1.7 you can install individual lens profiles, as XML files. Open Preferences, and in the General section there's a button to open the directory or folder where you would put manually added profiles:

image.png.ca4534f30a0cea9287f0515fb0f75a08.png

You just need to create or download the XML file for your lens (possibly using information from the Lensfun database) and put it in that directory or folder.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

As Woodkopf said, it was the James Ritson video (it is available on YouTube as well). In that video, James drags (or copies) the entire mil-sony.xml file to the Affinity Lens Profile Folder. In may case, I used the mil-sayang.xml file, which contains the correction data for both the Samyang f3.5 7.5mm Fish-eye and Samyang f/2.0 12mm NCS CS lenses (amongst others). As I said, only the correction profile for the Fish-eye seems to be recognised.

Cheers,
Biff

On 6/8/2019 at 10:36 AM, BiffBrown said:

Thanks for the replies, guys.

As Woodkopf said, it was the James Ritson video (it is available on YouTube as well). In that video, James drags (or copies) the entire mil-sony.xml file to the Affinity Lens Profile Folder. In may case, I used the mil-sayang.xml file, which contains the correction data for both the Samyang f3.5 7.5mm Fish-eye and Samyang f/2.0 12mm NCS CS lenses (amongst others). As I said, only the correction profile for the Fish-eye seems to be recognised.

Cheers,
Biff

Same for me. Editing the exif-data manually has no effect for pictures taken with my Samyang 12mm.

For me as well. I am using a Samyang 12mm on a Sony A6000 quite often and it would be great to have the lens correction.

I tried editing the Exif Data in many ways but it's not recognized, also I copied the mil-samyang.xml file to the profile folder.

I have got the same problems as above. I can not determine where it goes wrong. There could be several reasons: 

I have got a Canon 760D camera. If I use my sigma 105mm macro lens the name of the lens is stored as only “105 mm” in the EXIF file. Not as “Sigma 105mm etc”. Is the metadata wrongly given by the lens or is it wrongly stored by the camera or is there another reason

I also have a Canon 50mm 1.8 STM lens. I cannot find that lens in the list of Lensfun but I can find the same without STM. The same with an Tamron lens and also with another sigma lens. Etc.

In the end Affinity is not recognising nearly any of my lenses and that is annoying. Only an old canonEF S18-200mm that a do not use any more is recognised. 

How does affinity look for the match between the database and the metadata? Is that the model name? That could be risky I think or is there another link between them?    

Is it an idea that an user can choose manually a lens out of a list (new feature)? Of course is the users own “risk” that he/she chooses the wrong one but that would be visible.

greetings

• Staff

Hi all,

We're looking into a better implementation of Lens Correction in the develop persona, as there can be slight inconsistencies between the Lens ID as per the .xml files, as well as EXIF data supplied by the camera.

In many cases, the firmware of the camera may be older than the lens, so although the lens is 'supported' the EXIF data written is incorrect or inconsistent.

For outlier cases such as these, I've personally requested that the Develop Persona is given the same manual choice list that you can access through Filters>Distort>Lens Correction. This would allow users to manually select the Lens profile from the imported XML, even when the EXIF/XML doesn't detect the correct lens automatically.

In regards to a workaround for the time being, the XML file contains the values needed for the Lens Correction panel in Develop, so you could input these values and save this as a Preset in Develop, then apply this preset manually to any images using this lens. I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 6/25/2019 at 5:19 PM, Dan C said:

Hi all,

We're looking into a better implementation of Lens Correction in the develop persona, as there can be slight inconsistencies between the Lens ID as per the .xml files, as well as EXIF data supplied by the camera.

In many cases, the firmware of the camera may be older than the lens, so although the lens is 'supported' the EXIF data written is incorrect or inconsistent.

For outlier cases such as these, I've personally requested that the Develop Persona is given the same manual choice list that you can access through Filters>Distort>Lens Correction. This would allow users to manually select the Lens profile from the imported XML, even when the EXIF/XML doesn't detect the correct lens automatically.

In regards to a workaround for the time being, the XML file contains the values needed for the Lens Correction panel in Develop, so you could input these values and save this as a Preset in Develop, then apply this preset manually to any images using this lens. I hope this helps!

Hi Dan,

This would be a major improvement for me. One more suggestion. Is it possible to define pre-setups. Know I have to scroll a list twice (for camera and lens). For example I have got 4 lenses and 1 camera. It would be nice if i could reduce a personal list to those items. 

Thanks

Jan Willem

• Staff
On 6/26/2019 at 12:16 PM, ScottinPollock said:

I am looking at the values in the XML files and I'm afraid I have no idea where I would input them in AP. Could you elucidate a bit more on this process?

Apologies for the delayed response, these values can be entered in the Lens Correction panel of the Develop Persona, as can be seen below-

image.png

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

these values can be entered in the Lens Correction panel

Dan...

Below is a snippet from LensFun XML. How do I interpret these values for input into the lens panel?

<calibration>
    <distortion model="ptlens" focal="14" a="0.00401" b="-0.02455" c="-0.04437"/>
    <tca model="poly3" focal="14" br="-0.0001217" vr="1.0003687" bb="0.0002203" vb="1.0000304"/>
</calibration>

• Staff

Apologies for the delayed response, some XMLs already have the correct formulas applied to these figures, so it's as easy as typing them into the relevant box. However your XML hasn't yet had these formulas run, so it's very difficult for you to manually input any values. In your case I recommend using the Filters>Distortion>Lens Correction in the Photo Persona to apply your Lens Correction.

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 2 months later...
On 6/25/2019 at 5:19 PM, Dan C said:

Hi all,

Any news on this yet?

• Staff

Hi larsbre :)

There's no further update on this currently, we're still looking to implement this feature for a future version - but I can't give a timescale currently, my apologies!

Please note -

Many thanks!