You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unchangeable background color in Text Tools

Hey!

Thanks again for the good work and the nice recent updates!

One of my files does something strange, though:

• Every new text object (not only the text frame) has an unchangeable background color. 
  • I know that it is by design when I convert shape into a text Frame. But this time I only use text frames or artistic text.
  • Closing the application and Opening the file again doesn't help. Although only this file behaves like this.
  • I can even copy text frames from new documents without a background color and it works. In the file there is a transparent frame text which comes from another file.
  • The file was originally a PDF. Maybe this is important in this case too.

In the screenshot you are seeing:

• the first field is an artistic text with grey background
  • the second field is a text frame with the same Problem

Never set any Background - the were created like this - only in this file! I have attached the file if needed for inspection.

screen.thumb.png.6012a6a00a44067a4b643ed5b318ce5f.png

Seems like a bug only in this file - thought it might be helpful to know.

All the best,
Chris

test.afdesign

PS: If you like maps you might also have a look at this community!
PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

When you say the file was originally a PDF, do you mean that you used File > Open to open the PDF, then saved it as a .afdesign file? If not, perhaps knowing how you created the file would be helpful.

If possible, it might also be helpful to have that PDF file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes, opened the PDF in AD, did some editing, format changings, and saved it as a ADfile. The issue occurred before saving it as an ADfile. Thought by saving it and re-opening it the issue would have gone. 

Don't have the PDF with me. It's at work and in Austria it's a long weekend. On Tuesday I will have access again. 

Maybe something can be seen in that strange behaving file already.

PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

Thanks.

If I open that .afdesign file in Publisher (rather than Designer) I can use the Text Frame panel which shows that the text frame has a fill. As Designer doesn't have complete text frame support, though, I can't see anything about that when I look at it in Designer.

If you had perhaps used Publisher rather than Designer I could see how you could have set that fill, but Designer doesn't have the UI to do that as far as I know. So I think it must have happened during the Open of the PDF, and perhaps Designer and Publisher share enough of the processing for PDF conversion that Designer incorrectly set a fill value that it won't allow you to change

But perhaps someone else has anther idea :)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I just noticed something that I think is different between 1.7 and 1.6.

In 1.6, if I remember correctly, if you had a shape (say, a rectangle) that had a fill and/or stroke, and you converted the shape to a Text Frame (Layer > Conver to Text Frame) you lost any fill or stroke.

In 1.7, you do not lose them. They are retained as the stroke and fill of the Text Frame. However, as there is no Text Frame panel in Designer, you can't see what they are (other than visually) nor change them.

Possibly you ended up after your conversion with a filled rectangle that got converted into a Text Frame.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

You can remove the fill on text frames by selecting a blank text frame with no fill and doing Edit > Copy, then select the offending text frame and use Edit > Paste Style. This will paste the 'empty fill' style onto the new text frame.

Had you at any point used 'Synchronize Defaults from Selection'? As that would then use that style for every new object of that type created. If so going to Edit > Defaults > Factory Reset and then Edit > Defaults > Save should also stop text frames being created with a fill. I have passed onto development that Designer needs the ability to remove fills from text frame!

On 6/11/2019 at 3:04 PM, Sean P said:

You can remove the fill on text frames by selecting a blank text frame with no fill and doing Edit > Copy, then select the offending text frame and use Edit > Paste Style. This will paste the 'empty fill' style onto the new text frame.

Had you at any point used 'Synchronize Defaults from Selection'? As that would then use that style for every new object of that type created. If so going to Edit > Defaults > Factory Reset and then Edit > Defaults > Save should also stop text frames being created with a fill. I have passed onto development that Designer needs the ability to remove fills from text frame!

Thank you! That is actual a simple work around. Opening in Publisher also helps as there is an option to remove that fill.

And no, I hadn't used it as I do not know this function "Synchronize Defaults from Selection".

• 6 months later...

I just experienced the same thing. It's definitely a weird setting coming over from another app and being picked up by Affinity. I used the Affinity Photo Aquire Image tool to scan a packaging label in and worked on it in both Photo and Designer. Maybe Photo uses the Native Mac OS Aquire Image tool to import from the scanner and processes it through some sort of PDF service.