You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hand tool stuck, Translation, OBS..

I found 3 issues I currently noticed working with Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 on Windows 10 1903 (Build 18362.145) using an Wacom Intuos Pro Version 2015 - Driver version 6.3.34-3. Graphics Card: nVidia GTX 1050 Ti - Driver version: 26.21.14.3086

First when I working in Affinity Designer and opening the Wacom preferences tool and returning to the canvas the Hand tool doesn't work anymore and sometimes the cursor get stuck. Only a restart is solve that issue. Happens randomly so not sure if someone can reproduce the problem. Maybe a driver issue from wacom?

Then I noticed some cropped text in the german translation (attached)

And in OBS its still not possible to display the canvas in window capture mode unfortunately. I was hoping this will be resolved. The tips with going to the nvidia control panel and edit the settings don't work however i use a desktop pc anyway instead a notebook. (Attached)

2019-06-07 12_20_04.jpg

2019-06-07 12_23_38.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Pockenfresse,

The Wacom issue with the hand tool is a known issue that is caused by changing focus and returning using the pen. You will also find that the pen will only draw straight lines. This is with development to fix. Also I shall get the cropped text passed on to the translation team.

Regarding the OBS issue that is something you should raise with their development team

Hi Guys, I'm not sure if I should post this here but since I tried Affinity a couple of years ago I've been having a zoom issue as well. I'm also using a Wacom Intuos Pro. When I using "command + space bar" to zoom in or out when I let go the "command" button, most of the time the zoom tool gets stuck and doesn't change to the hand tool unless I release the "space bar" button and press the button again. This issue happens across all the Affinity Apps including the new Affinity Publisher app. 

It doesn't happen on the Adobe Products. Does this issue have to do with the Wacom as well?

• Staff
1 hour ago, bengiefons said:

Hi Guys, I'm not sure if I should post this here but since I tried Affinity a couple of years ago I've been having a zoom issue as well. I'm also using a Wacom Intuos Pro. When I using "command + space bar" to zoom in or out when I let go the "command" button, most of the time the zoom tool gets stuck and doesn't change to the hand tool unless I release the "space bar" button and press the button again. This issue happens across all the Affinity Apps including the new Affinity Publisher app. 

It doesn't happen on the Adobe Products. Does this issue have to do with the Wacom as well?

This is a slightly different issue that I don't believe it related to the Wacom. I occasionally get this happen with my mouse after refining an image. It is something that is also with development however.

• 2 weeks later...

This issue is solved but now I have the old struggle again with keystrokes that not working and only after a restart of the whole program they seems to work again. This issue I also had in the 1.6.x versions of Affinity Designer and it also seems no one wants to fix this issue. I was hoping with 1.7 this getting fixe. Same as well with the OBS issues.

The OBS developers sends me to your support forum and you me to the OBS guys.. Really? Shoving problems to another one is easy... If the big "A"-Company get this to work why not here? Is the engine for the canvas that complicated?

And why there's still no perspective transform tool in AD1.7 as suggested in the thread? Why I have to buy the whole affinity lineup now to get all tools I need? Transform it in AP is not option for me since the object getting rastesterd after transformation. It looks pretty bad if you export a 8000x8000 picture and you see ugly pixels while zooming inside.

9 minutes ago, Pockenfresse said:

The OBS developers sends me to your support forum and you me to the OBS guys.. Really? Shoving problems to another one is easy... If the big "A"-Company get this to work why not here? Is the engine for the canvas that complicated?

Hi, I'm not sure why OBS devs would send you to our forum to raise this as an issue with our software. I use SnagIt which is able to capture images and video from our canvas without any issues, so this must be something specific to how OBS works (which I'm not familiar with, as I've never used it). The Microsoft Xbox Game Bar is also able to record video from the canvas. 

If an OBS dev wants to contact me (I wrote the Direct3D renderer) I'd be happy to answer questions to help their implementation, but, as our software works as intended, there isn't much else I can do.

1 hour ago, Pockenfresse said:

SnagIt is a screenshot tool (a very overloaded one). OBS means "Open Broadcaster Software" and is used to stream to custom or public stream services.

SnagIt records video as well, which is what OBS will be doing, in order to broadcast it. Either way, my comments still stand, there is no bug here for us to fix on our end.

• 3 weeks later...

Again... I do not record videos. I do stream my desktop to my customers while I work on the product which actually works fine if I capture all (The whole display). Just the window capture makes trouble because it does not show the canvas.. What it shows is the preview window of the navigator. Why is this an issue for me? Because I do not want to capture my whole Desktop to the whole world seeing my wallpaper with my ugly wife, folders or whole documents if I want to change the program, open my mailbox or messaging with other customers. Also called known as GDPR.

Those OBS guys said ask the affinity guy and now you say go to OBS.

Thank you anyway for the help I will see what I can do and if I can find a workaround for this issue. Maybe a second monitor would help - another 200 bucks. Let's hope the wacom pen issue at least gets fixed soon.

16 hours ago, Pockenfresse said:

Again... I do not record videos. I do stream my desktop to my customers 

Hi, I think you're missing my point slightly, in order to "stream your desktop" you must capture frames of your desktop during the broadcast, which is the same thing as recording a video. i.e. the technology requirements are the same - the ability to capture frames of either the whole desktop or a portion of the desktop or a specific window within the desktop. We have trials available if the OBS team would like to see if they can debug the problem.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there,

yes this "stuck on hand tool" (aka "View-Tool) issue still exists in August 2019 (seen in Designer 1.7.1 as well as in Publisher 1.7.2), and it's easy to reproduce. Just use the "minus-Zoom-Tool" to zoom out (option-command-spacebar) by clicks, and you're done. After that, releasing the keys leaves you in the "View-Tool".

This is the case in Designer all the time, in Publisher sometimes not. Here you have come from another tool to the "minus-loupe-tool", but sometimes it works flawlessly, hmm :|

But in both cases the way out ist easy as well ! Just type the "plus-Zoom-Tool" to zoom in (command-spacebar) and you're out of the "Hand-Tool". No need to click, just press _command-spacebar_ to get your pointer back. :1_grinning:

I consider this as a bug, but this little workaround should help you out - for now.

(10.14 Mojave on a Mac)

Affinity Suite since 1.7, now on 2.4.0 – I love it !
iMac i9, macOS Sonoma 14.3.1