You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

After update, Affinity Photo is not updating my Apple Photos

25 minutes ago, rhmb said:

I am on record as having experienced many of the frustrations discussed above and in several other threads...

What version(s) of the Mac OS, Apple Photos, & AP have you had these problems with?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

What version(s) of the Mac OS, Apple Photos, & AP have you had these problems with?

All versions of Catalina up to and including 10.15.4, Photos 5 (the current version with each iteration of Catalina), Affinity Photos 1.7.3 and all versions of 1.8 up to and including 1.8.2. 

Reported in Affinity with Apple Photos bugs (several threads there) so will not go into more detail here. 

I have decided to not expend any more time and effort trying to use AP within Apple Photos until the issues have been reported fixed in an update. Not interested in exploring any more work arounds either. I will monitor from a distance, keep an eye on upcoming updates to AP, and await a fix. 

Until that moment comes, for my needs it's much easier and time effective to use AP outside of the Apple Photos world. 

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

I have been using "Edit with Affinity Photo" in Apple Photos at least since High Sierra & the first 1.7 version. As I said, I do not use iCloud storage with that app except for the Shared Album feature, but I have not seen any problems using the 'Edit With' feature. From what I can tell from the forum, other than for users running Catalina it has also been problem free for most (but not all) users.

This implies that the cause is local to specific systems, which will make it much more difficult to diagnose & fix.

But I assume most of those systems are at Serif's headquarters so, since they can't work from there, they probably have limited access to anything other than their own computers at their homes.

So then I clicked "Edit in Affinity Photo," and it opened the pic in AP with a different file name. It called it "Apple Photos Document." Really??? Also, you mentioned that, when you edit in AP, it never overwrites the original photo. So where does it save it??? I seriously want my PC back. This is unbelievable complicated. Technology is supposed to make life easier, and this seemingly simple task is unachievable, apparently.

56 minutes ago, Danny7112 said:

So then I clicked "Edit in Affinity Photo," and it opened the pic in AP with a different file name. It called it "Apple Photos Document." Really???

Yes, really, but as you might imagine that is just a proxy, not an actual file name. Photo stored in an Apple Photos Library are not referenced externally directly by their file names, nor by their titles if you have assigned them to any photos. The reasons for this are complicated, in part because Apple Photos keeps track of files in its Libraries & changes to them in several different ways, so it is not always true that what is passed to an external editor like AP is the original photo file (see below).

57 minutes ago, Danny7112 said:

Also, you mentioned that, when you edit in AP, it never overwrites the original photo. So where does it save it???

The original is stored in dated & nested subfolders in the "Masters" folder inside the Photos Library.photoslibrary package. (A package is a folder that normally appears in Finder as a single file.) There are several other folders & subfolders in this package, all of which contain things related to & are needed by the Apple Photos app to keep track of originals, edits, various kinds of metadata & so on. Apple warns users not to edit or otherwise modify anything in the Photos Library.photoslibrary package directly, because this will cause the app to lose track of how all these things are interrelated, which can result in various serious issues, including unrecoverable loss of files. (This is why the contents of the package are not normally visible.)

Some of the details of how all this works are explained in the article I linked to in this post on the first page of this topic, but the most important thing to keep in mind is that Apple Photos controls what can be passed to external editors & what it will accept from them. It does this to protect the integrity of its Libraries, to allow them to interoperate with various cloud services, to provide for non-destructive edits, to maintain the security & privacy of the user, & so on.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

After enduring disappoint with the AP/Photos editing issues described by all since June 2019, I decided to try the Edit With Affinity interface once again.  As recently as two months ago the process simply failed every time in one way or another.  Tonight, to my astonishment and joy, the functionality is back.  I did nothing magical or tech smart.  Just kept all apps up to date and OS too.

i understand the frustration we all have with the app but all I can say is keep trying it regularly.  The fix may be there without it seeming apparent.

13 hours ago, R C-R said:

But I assume most of those systems are at Serif's headquarters so, since they can't work from there, they probably have limited access to anything other than their own computers at their homes.

That is a true fact now but the problems is nearing one year timeframe.  If you had upgraded macOS and used iCloud, you would understand the impact.  I put my trust in Apple as my cloud storage as I have MAC, iPad Pro and XS iPhone and family sharing as spouse has iPad Air.  iCloud storage and availability to all devices and cost is fairly reasonable.  All my family members, children, grandchildren, siblings own Apple devices.  AP is the only process that does not work.  I would guess over one hundred threads created concerning this issue.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

34 minutes ago, Cecil said:

That is a true fact now but the problems is nearing one year timeframe.

To be fair, there has been quite a bit of development effort put into fixing this issue ever since people started reporting it, & it has resulted in fixes that have worked for a lot of users. It is the 'edge' cases that still need more work. Because there is no simple way for them to determine if the remaining problems are due to flaws in the app, local issues with causes originating outside the app itself, or a combination of both, it is probably going to take even more time to get it all fixed for every user.

As for trusting Apple's iCloud storage, if you browse through Apple's own support forums & various third party blogs that cover Apple-related topics you may have noticed how many people have complained about it not always working properly, not just recently but for years & even when used only with Apple's own apps.

It is a very useful service & a good value when it works but it has proven to be less robust than many have hoped for. There are various theories floating around the web for why this is, some more credible than others. Some believe Apple lacks sufficient resources to deal with peak demands on their servers, particularly now that they are offering more paid services that produce more revenue. Others think ISP's are to blame for throttling bandwidth or not updating 'stale' caches often enough. 

What matters is not if any of these theories are correct but that it further complicates all the things Serif has to consider as possible causes for the problems some users are still having with the AP "Edit in Affinity Photo extension.

Affinity Photo 

@R C-R count me as the bless one as I never had trouble with iCloud service.  I have 1 GB ISP, no cap, 2019 iMac great spec and iPad Pro. I see people with 50-100 Mbps and 20-40 devices (Google, Nest, Lights, Amazon) kids gaming etc, complaining.  Setting in my Master Bedroom, 40 ft from router, I’m getting 200 x 350 WiFi Mbps on iPad Pro, 2017 model. I just think consolidating into one system helps.  My mistake was buying the 10.5 iPad, not 12.9.  My visions is impaired and when I tested my sons 12.9, major improvement.  I wish they had released the new iPad Pro, with option to buy without the camera upgrades.  I don’t need a 12.9 camera, lol.  Be safe.  We are on lock down, Stay In Place.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

I made new screen recording, making a few errors showing tools work and this time using png format exported from Templates on iPad Pro too iCloud.  Results were totally different than RAW. I received error notice and it could not save the file. I am just posting so others may see the problems with AP 1.8.2/Apple Photos. 

Cecil 

1 hour ago, Cecil said:

I made new screen recording ...

Well, this is annoying & maybe a bit ironic. The first 10 seconds of your video downloaded in a heartbeat but ever since then, data for it has been trickling in at an average rate of about  0.4 MB/sec, with frequent stalls. It isn't my internet connection -- still connects & downloads from most sites at around a very consistent 50 MB/sec -- that's bytes, not bits.

I don't know how large the video file is or how it was encoded but at this rate it looks like it will take over an hour to download & play it.

EDIT: now down to maybe 110-150 KB/sec, so I am about ready to pull the plug & move on to other things.

Affinity Photo 

@R C-R plays immediately on my iPad Pro.  It was uploaded iMac.  The file size was under the imposed limit.  When was the last time you restarted you computer?  Sorry, I guess I could have made the screen smaller, I forget I’m recording 27” monitor.

Cecil 

Screen shot of speed test on iPad Pro.3CC01833-FE8F-4918-B51B-101AB42FCB46.thumb.jpeg.043f4f7962e0df9c0e61a64abcb86b05.jpeg

Cecil 

1 hour ago, Cecil said:

When was the last time you restarted you computer?

Yesterday, after Apple security & Safari updates. I don't know why it won't download faster (or play) -- most but not all other videos posted to the forums work fine -- even large ones are usually playable in under a minute.

ATM, I am trying to download your video rather than play it in place in Safari but Activity Monitor reports an average data received/ sec of around 180 KB, sometimes dipping to a measly 50-60 KB/sec. I have also run SpeedTest a few times on my iMac when nothing else was being downloaded or uploaded & I get similar DL numbers to yours.

Affinity Photo 

@R C-R  Small file, 52.6 mb.  One level adjustment   I resized document windows to reduce size, you can see error notice drop down.

Cecil 

• 2 months later...

I still have the same problem. Today, when trying to open a RAW file (Olympus ORF, which I use for many years) from Apple Photo with Affinity Develop I got this error: "Cannot load representation of type PUEditingInitialPayloadTypeIdentifier".
Please HELP!!!

I have not had this error message but whenever I attempt to develop a raw photo in Affinity Develop by way of Apple Photos I get the all too familiar (to some of us)  "Unable to edit with ..."  error message. 

The only way I have been able to develop raw photos (including Olympus ORF) from Apple Photo using Affinity is by using the Edit in Affinity Photo extension (which has its own problems as noted in many many threads). To the best of my understanding, the Affinity Develop extension has a known bug which leaves it unable to Develop raw photos but allows it to develop jpg (which, of course, do not need developing per se). I opened a thread on this around mid-March in the Bugs in Mac OS forum, one of the moderators (MEB), noted that this was a known issue. 

Doesn't help your situation but may be related. 

My experience, which is admittedly limited, is that Apple Photos develops raw photos just as capably as Affinity.