You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

After update, Affinity Photo is not updating my Apple Photos

I have been using the feature in Apple Photos "Edit with Affinity Photo", but, my pictures are no longer updating in Photo's once I have edited them and saved them in Affinity Photo. This is all I have done in the past to make this work. I can share the edited version to Photo's, but, that will lead to twice as many pictures when I just want to edit in a better application.  Any ideas?

Affinity Photo version 1.7.0

Apple Photos version 4; Mac OS Mojave

• Staff

Hi Mscourt01,

Welcome to the forums :)

Are you going to File > Close and then when it asks you if you want to save any changes hitting yes? If this isn't what you have been doing please could you try that?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

When I right click to go to Affinity Photo, just using File - Close was not working (I never had to do that before), I read in another post that you must click to edit the photo in iPhoto, then go to the Edit menu from inside their edit screen, then you must save, then you must close, then you must refresh Photos.  Sadly, its added about 3-4 more steps than I had to before.  

I am having the same issue but I don't see any resolution posted here.  I am using v 1.7.0 to edit/process images opened from Mac Photos by using the short cut in Photos to load to Affinity.  I have tried just the CMD S function, I have tried closing the file and answering Save and nothing works to update the image back to Photos.  I have resorted to Exporting the image to desktop then drag and drop back to Photos which does place the image back in the date sequence but I still have two images where once I could simply update the one.  This slows productivity way down. Any idea when this might get fixed?

FWIW, over the last several years quite a few people, myself included, have reported various problems using the right-click Edit > with Affinity Photo function in Apple Photos, & they have nothing obvious to do with how the document is closed in Affinity Photo. IIRC, this was once acknowledged as a bug that was supposedly fixed in an update, but for me it did not change anything -- the file never changed after (supposedly) being sent back to Apple Photos.

This issue may have something to do with the version of Apple Photos installed on the Mac, but I am almost positive that it has been present at least since version 3.0 of that app, & this has not changed in 1.7.

What does work for me in 1.7 (as it also did in 1.6.x with Photos 3.0) is to put Apple Photos into Edit mode (so only the selected image appears in the window), click the Edit button at the top of the window, & from the 3 dot menu button at the top, choose the "Edit in Affinity Photo" item.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 months later...

Using the technique of editing in photos editor worked fine, except for the fact that clicking done in the photos editor after my affinity edits caused photos to completely replace the edited photo with another random photo in my photos database. IE
1. open photo to edit in photos editor
2. open affinity using "..."
3. Make edits
4. Save/close in affinity
5. Edited photo appears in photos editor
6. Click done
7. Boom - a completely random photo appears in my album instead of the edited one.
Now it just happens that the two photos have the exact same filename.
I suspect an apple photos bug but who knows

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Danny7112 said:

Where is the fix for this??

What version of AP are you using & what macOS version?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

49 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What version of AP are you using & what macOS version?

I'm running MacOS Sierra Version 10.12.6 on a Macbook Air. In trying to troubleshoot this problem, I just updated AP to Version 1.8.2. I haven't tried using it yet, because I've now run into the problem of the Adjustment Layer Toolbar no longer being on the right. Traded one problem for another.

3 hours ago, Danny7112 said:

I haven't tried using it yet, because I've now run into the problem of the Adjustment Layer Toolbar no longer being on the right.

I am not sure what you mean by the Adjustment Layer Toolbar, but if it is the Adjustments or any other studio panel, they all can be configured in various ways, like into tabbed groups, individual items on the left or right studio, or as floating panels not attached to the document window(s).

Affinity Photo 

Following all the steps of Edit in AP, making edits, saving image to my Apple Photos, the edited image now looks totally different than saved edits, in Apple Photos.  A nice, edited photo turns into a dark, unusable photo.  I highly recommend that you duplicate your Apple Photos before making any edits in AP.  I highly recommend not using AP for Apple Photos edit. Avoid it, practice social editing distance.

I totally give up using AP, unless I export the edits.  As iCloud is my main DAM, AP is a waste of my macOS storage space, IMHO, not worth the 50% discount, if you intend to use for Apple Photos edits. Harsh yes, truth hurts, especially when a year or so has passed without a fix or hint of a fix.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

1 hour ago, Cecil said:

I highly recommend that you duplicate your Apple Photos before making any edits in AP.

Why? Apple Photos never actually replaces the original photo in its library with the edited version, whether the edits are done in AP or in any other external app, or internally in Apple Photos itself.

For more about how this works, see The Ins and Outs of Non-destructive Editing in Photos for Mac and iOS, written by a former Apple lead developer.

Affinity Photo 

That

Just now, R C-R said:

Why? Apple Photos never actually replaces the original photo in its library with the edited version, whether the edits are done in AP or in any other external app, or internally in Apple Photos itself.

For more about how this works, see The Ins and Outs of Non-destructive Editing in Photos for Mac and iOS, written by a former Apple lead developer.

That worked for me until recently.  I edited several RAW photos yesterday and after saving, my original Apple Photo was gone, replaced by the edited , totally worthless photo.  I will try to produce screen recording today.  As I have posted many before and receive the same reply, we are aware and working on fixing the issue.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

1 minute ago, Cecil said:

That worked for me until recently.  I edited several RAW photos yesterday and after saving, my original Apple Photo was gone, replaced by the edited , totally worthless photo.

For any edited photo stored in your Apple Photos library, in that app just select it & from the Image menu.choose "Revert to Original." (Note that depending on the version of Apple Photos, the method may be slightly different, but if you refer to the Help built into that app it should tell you how to revert any edited photo to the original version.)

If this is no longer working for you, you may need to repair the library database.

Also note that if you use the "Edit in Affinity Photo" option in Apple Photos with a RAW format file, any edits done in Affinity Photo will be affected by the options you have set in the AP Develop Assistant if it is enabled. (For more about that, refer to the info near the bottom of the Developing a raw image using Develop Persona help page.) So for example, I currently use these settings:

296463678_DevelopAssistant.jpg.7e1e8573cc5b807f778d5a5684d9a67e.jpg

I am not sure what you mean by "totally worthless" but if you do not like the results when you use the "Edit in Affinity Photo" option in Apple Photos, perhaps changing one or more of these settings will help.

Finally, please keep in mind what the 'Ins & outs' article says about using the "Edit with" vs. "Edit in" option of Apple Photos, & what external editing app extensions are allowed to pass back to that app. There is nothing Serif can do about that limitation; it is built into Apple Photos.

Affinity Photo 

I was able to revert the pictures I made adjustments to yesterday, I don't know, I updated to macOS 10.5.4.  I recorded a RAW photo that clearly shows the saved version is not the same as the edited photo.  Also screen shot of Develop Persona.  My point is IF you use Apple Photos as your Cloud service and DAM, AP is not working with Apple Photos, unless my actions in screen recording are wrong. As you can see, I saved the edits, closed AP, and had to click outside the Save Changes to get the menu to change to allow me to save changes. I saved changes and the photo was not what my edited photo edit actions indicated. This is why I stated worthless, that AP is not the application to use to edit Apple Photos. If you spot error on my part I would appreciate your response. I really want AP to work, heaven knows I tried.

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 9.57.14 AM.png

Cecil 

37 minutes ago, Cecil said:

As you can see, I saved the edits, closed AP, and had to click outside the Save Changes to get the menu to change to allow me to save changes. I saved changes and the photo was not what my edited photo edit actions indicated.

I do not use the Apple Photos iCloud preference that automatically uploads & stores my photos in iCloud at all, so I can't be sure of this but I think what is happening is you do not have the option to store full-resolution versions originals on your Mac enabled, & what you see after clicking "Done" is the low resolution proxy that is stored locally on your Mac, not the full-resolution version stored in iCloud. 

Because I have avoided all the Apple Photos iCloud options except the "Shared Albums" one, I am not sure how to make sure the full-resolution version is being opened locally in Apple Photos before editing it so I cannot help with that, nor do I know if it would make any difference.

That said, the reason I avoid using any of the iCloud Photo options besides the "Shared Albums" one is that a few years ago when I was running an earlier version of OS X & Photos, I created a small "System Photo Library" to test the iCloud Photo option with. It never worked very well -- sometimes the full-resolution version took hours to appear locally in that Library & occasionally one or two never did. I have not tested the iCloud Photo option with any newer version of of OS X & Photos (& probably never will) so I can't say if this is still a problem or not.

What I can say is as it is now, the "Shared Albums" option works fine but to edit anything stored in one of my shared albums, when I click on the "Edit" button, I get this:

164664803_Import.jpg.b8003de12a094c7040808c0473486ad2.jpg

That works OK with the "Edit in Affinity Photo" option. If you are not seeing anything similar & you are not using the option to store full-resolution versions originals on your Mac, this may somehow be related to your issue, but if it is I doubt there is anything Serif can do about it because this is something Apple Photos controls.

Sorry I cannot be of more help with this.

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

you are not using the option to store full-resolution versions originals on your Mac

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

This is not the problem, see image`.

Reading you initial article, the notes or post indicate Catalina allowed developers full access Photos database.  @MEB posted note to me, a thread with many having the same problem, that they were aware of problem. As they have never explain to users the problem, other than it's a problem, that is a problem.  I would be satisfied with explanation of problem, Serif ability to fix, estimated fix date, waiting for release of 2.0, or are they waiting on Apple to provide access or information not available to Serif. 

I understand that this is not a problem for you but I suggest many macOS owners use iCloud or Cloud service to store photos.  As iPhone and other smartphones advanced cameras have similar abilities of DLSR cameras, macOS, iPadOS and iPhone are a family, sharing files and photos.  Yesterday software release allows you to share or Add People, to a share folder or link.  Google and Dropbox has this capability and Apple is joining the club. Professionals depend on portability of iPadOS to download photos by WiFi, store on Flash Drives, and edit their work in the field. 

I do thank you for your comments.

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 11.53.20 AM.png

Cecil 

@Cecil, all I can tell you is that the issue with Catalina & the Apple Photo "Edit with Affinity Photo" not working correctly supposedly has been fixed in one of the latest Mac 1.8.x updates, but that for some users there still seems to be a problem due to some as yet unidentified cause.

I do not know if it involves any of the iCloud options in Apple Photo, or if it does which one(s) that might be. I know that progress on this is being hampered by the pandemic because the staff are working from home, without normal access to test machines at the office.

All I can suggest is to wait it out if the Catalina problem still affects you, or if you are not running that OS version to try to provide as much info as you can here that might help us figure out the cause.

Affinity Photo 

@R C-R The problem started for me, 1.7.3 macOS Mojave and lingers with latest Catalina update.  I would say June 2019 timeframe the messages started with AP/Photos.  As I stated they have acknowledge they are aware.  This is not a blame game for me as I think AP is great and Serif has done a great job trying to make a lot of people happy. My main reason for purchase was Apple’s announcement AP was App of the year.  I thought that was implying it was built to work with Apple’s MAC and OS.

I have posted many screen recordings, as well as, some work around processes.  AP 1.8.1 allowed the workaround mention in Edit In, Save, Close and Save Changes, Done.  AP 1.8.2 broke that process for me, especially RAW format.  I know Serif has macOS, iPadOS systems to test in Beta and update releases. As I pointed out in another thread, each update did not address the issue of AP/Photos.

I do thank you for sharing your experience and suggestions.  

Cecil 

5 minutes ago, Cecil said:

The problem started for me, 1.7.3 macOS Mojave and lingers with latest Catalina update.

I have been using "Edit with Affinity Photo" in Apple Photos at least since High Sierra & the first 1.7 version. As I said, I do not use iCloud storage with that app except for the Shared Album feature, but I have not seen any problems using the 'Edit With' feature. From what I can tell from the forum, other than for users running Catalina it has also been problem free for most (but not all) users.

This implies that the cause is local to specific systems, which will make it much more difficult to diagnose & fix.

20 minutes ago, Cecil said:

I know Serif has macOS, iPadOS systems to test in Beta and update releases.

But I assume most of those systems are at Serif's headquarters so, since they can't work from there, they probably have limited access to anything other than their own computers at their homes.

Affinity Photo 

I am on record as having experienced many of the frustrations discussed above and in several other threads concerning AP when used with Apple Photos. Multiple workarounds have been suggested, some work some of the time, few work all of the time. The Edit in AP extension is so frustrating and unpredictable that I gave up using it with Apple Photos altogether. Affinity Develop extension is equally dysfunctional as it does not work for RAW photos. Why include these two extensions if they are known to have major issues that seem all but unresolvable? I appreciate that some, perhaps even many, have been more fortunate. I also appreciate that AP staff are working on it. They have been saying this for a year. AP is a good product used as a stand alone. It is, however, less than reliable when used with Apple Photos.