You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Horrible slowdown on Affinity Photo 1.7.0 iPad -- Way to revert back to 1.6?

Since the latest update, the program has been EXTREMELY slow. The app will lag or shutdown with previous unsaved work being lost. Cloning, eraser, and merging tools are very, very slow. I am a LOYAL PS user UNTIL discovering Affinity. I love AFFINITY because I can work on the go using my iPad. Please, please fix these issues soon. 

Would it really be so bad just to push out this next release? Its been almost 6-8 weeks I imagine? Many apps update weekly if not a few times per week. Why can’t AP just get us something a little better? 

To Jeff C, who rode in on his high horse well after the heat in this thread cooled off. Thank you for lighting it up again.  You’re right. I’m not willing to do any of your so-called solutions. Disable auto updates? No way. Use the beta? Tried that and it worked, sort of, but no. I do a lot of copy/pasting of layers from my AP library and dont want to step outside that and create discontinuity. Roll back to an old ipad backup? Hell no. Those aren’t solutions. The only real solution is Serif getting their shit together and pushing a real update.

I actually have always kept every version of Adobe up to date on release. CS 4-6 and now CC. While there have been bugs and performance issues at times none have been so workflow shattering as this AP travesty. And if they are bad, they generally patch it within a couple weeks vs months here.

The fact that a true update hasnt just been pushed out says a lot. Maybe they’ve broken the app on a fundamental level and are stumped. Im giving it a few more weeks then I’m off this bandwagon.

i am totaly behind you swenplaylay. I am waiting since days on a reaction to my postings that its impossible to resize the document on iPad and that the export dialog sometimes crashes AP and if it works and you abort your pictures goes all white. But no reaction at all. I tested the resizing out with version 1.7.1 there it crashes too. I already was closely before requesting to roll back AP on iPad to a state before 1.7 and start 1.7 with all reports in mind from new but haven't had the courage to post this request yet. 

9 hours ago, swenpaylay said:

The fact that a true update hasnt just been pushed out says a lot. Maybe they’ve broken the app on a fundamental level and are stumped.

I think you were right. Andy Somerfield has posted that since 1.7 they have only been accessing half the iPads available memory and have now fixed this. See here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/94815-rc2-langging-like-hell/&do=findComment&comment=505839

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Yeah I read it. the other thing is that AP needs more and more RAM the more huge layers with a lot of information you add and keep visible. And when memory runs low AP starts to move to and get from disk what slows down. I found today a lil bit of workaround for this problem When finished one adjustment layer merge visible layers and only keep the combined layer as huge active layer. that reduces the memory fingerprint and speeds AP up. 

On 8/7/2019 at 6:28 PM, DM1 said:

I think you were right. Andy Somerfield has posted that since 1.7 they have only been accessing half the iPads available memory and have now fixed this. See here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/94815-rc2-langging-like-hell/&do=findComment&comment=505839

Crossing my fingers for a new release ASAP. Please Serif!

(capture one pro is half off right now but I dont want to abandon my ipad workflow)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 4:44 PM, p_mac said:

xTrinity, you are using a Sony camera, so why aren’t you downloading your raw files directly from your camera into Photos?  I have a Sony a7r3 and have been connecting  my camera directly to my iPad Pro 12” 1T, 6gb.  You can download all or just the images you want to work on.   

I’m also using the beta version and like it has been said many times in this forum it’s worth signing up for it.  The images from my camera are 43mp and I have stitched a panos with 7 images, used the HDR merge without any problems, (this images is 1.34GB in size), embedded documents that are fully editable, imported fonts etc.

i haven’t had to reinstall this app.  Granted I have 1T of memory and 6gb of ram but this app is awesome.      

Not quite sure after reading some of the comments on this site what people are talking about.

i just bought a card reader and switched back to 12.4. im DL-ing my raws to photos directly.

what you said about your experience doesnt really help, i was looking for people with same experience as me and find a solution.

not people not having trouble with their app. GOOD FOR YOU that you have a good experience. have a nice day.

On 8/26/2019 at 10:40 PM, xTrinity said:

what you said about your experience doesnt really help, i was looking for people with same experience as me and find a solution.

not people not having trouble with their app. GOOD FOR YOU that you have a good experience. have a nice day.

Just so you know I made that comment just after the release of 1.7 and then the betas were released.  I wasn't having any problems at that time but as they tried to fix issues by testing new betas the app went backwards.

They found with the persistence of Peter Pokorny a bug where the app was using only half the memory needed, however that fix seemed to have created many other problems.  

So you and many others are really having a great deal of problems and now so am I.  

So my apologies if I offended you way back then.