You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Horrible slowdown on Affinity Photo 1.7.0 iPad -- Way to revert back to 1.6?

ipad pro 9.7 wifi 128GB user here

im on ipadOS if that matters,

im having the same issue. i bought affinity photo for ipad to edit raws from my sonya6400,

my current workflow is to upload raws in google drive and make them available offline in ipad gdrive, open in affinity photo and edit,

my additional question is, is it possible to save current raw develop edit without pressing develop yet? when i close the file without pressing develop, it doesnt save in app.

file size per photo is 24mb, 6000x4000. theres not a session when it doesnt lag, im so disappointed, i just bought the app T_T

EDIT: i just offloaded the app, Trying to reinstall again, this timewithout messing with the settings....

or if theres any setting that i can turn on/off to optimize performance (lesser undo, cache), kindly specify.

Edited by xTrinity

23 minutes ago, swenpaylay said:

You’ve got a pro user considering an Adobe homecoming. Really don’t want it to come to that. It’s damn close. 

They have 2 million plus users. I'm sure you will be sorely missed. 9_9 Seriously though, why not register for the beta program? There is a version 1.7.2.147 that has addressed virtually all the earlier slow down issues and crashes. They probably want to test as much as possible before releasing to avoid a repeat of the disappointment some users have experienced. I've not had any major issues or crashes with the last two betas. They work really well.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

16 minutes ago, DM1 said:

They have 2 million plus users. I'm sure you will be sorely missed. 9_9 Seriously though, why not register for the beta program? There is a version 1.7.2.147 that has addressed virtually all the earlier slow down issues and crashes. They probably want to test as much as possible before releasing to avoid a repeat of the disappointment some users have experienced. I've not had any major issues or crashes with the last two betas. They work really well.

Because beta, as mentioned by Serif everywhere, isn's suitable for production use?

12 minutes ago, CLC said:

Because beta, as mentioned by Serif everywhere, isn's suitable for production use?

And yet the beta works more reliably than the current release version ....... seems an easy choice, if you are currently having major issues then you have little to lose an much to gain. Further, the beta installs as a separate installation, leaving the release version in place should you wish to revert back to it. Really... it’s a nobrainer.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff
1 hour ago, CLC said:

You would normally be correct, however we actually recommend using the beta over the App Store versions for macOS and iPad. As per this comment from Andy S (lead Photo developer) in the beta forum:
'We recommend that you use this beta in preference to the store version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.'

So please, if you are struggling, I would encourage you to sign up for the beta

Just now, Chris B said:

You would normally be correct, however we actually recommend using the beta over the App Store versions for macOS and iPad. As per this comment from Andy S (lead Photo developer) in the beta forum:
'We recommend that you use this beta in preference to the store version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.'

So please, if you are struggling, I would encourage you to sign up for the beta

Ok, thank you - that's a brand new info to me.

• Staff
2 hours ago, swenpaylay said:

Hurry up and fix this Serif

It is fixed. Please sign up to the beta (linked in the above post). I appreciate you shouldn't have to sign up to a beta just to be able to work but as mentioned above, it is currently recommended that you do so.

5 hours ago, Chris B said:

It is fixed. Please sign up to the beta (linked in the above post). I appreciate you shouldn't have to sign up to a beta just to be able to work but as mentioned above, it is currently recommended that you do so.

Beta is not a solution for all. Pushing the beta version to release is. I did sign up for the beta as a last resort when I wasn’t able to export photos. Going back and forth between the versions doesn’t fit in my work flow. And this release has truly slowed down my flow with my business. Did you know some people rely on this app to make money? Did you know summer is the busiest time of year for most photographers? We dont have time to help you tinker with something you broke. Responding to every complaint with “sign up for the beta” doesn't work well either. That’s like going to mcdonalds, being served a shitty sandwich, complaining, and then being offered an unpaid internship so I can make my own. With a few million downloads of a paid app Serif should have the internal work force to push out a polished product. To me all of this has felt like Serif is blaming users - “not enough users signed up for the beta, that’s why this version sucks.” 

With a pretty hostile atmosphere in the forum and mostly deflective responses from admins, its no wonder why you have so few beta testers. I paid for an app, not for a beta program. Own your mistake, and show gratitude to users, especially those who have converted their circles from Adobe. I know several people who, like me, invested in ipad pros and moved their workflow to this app because it was so good before. Get all hands on deck and push the new version to release. You need to treat this app as it should be - a tool for professionals. Right now it feels like the contrary. The longer you wait, deflect, and offer unpaid internships as a solution, the more the credibility for pro use will tumble. The app store rating has already dropped quite a bit. But maybe it doesnt matter to Serif. Maybe you’d just as soon be for casual users who download the app but dont use it to its full potential. If thats the case, expect an exodus back to LR/PS.

On 7/24/2019 at 8:17 AM, swenpaylay said:

Beta is not a solution for all...

No kidding. And they know that, obviously. Surely you’re not saying you want Serif to push out a release that hasn’t been fully tested yet... right? That’s what beta is for. It’s part of a perfectly normal software development process. They’re saying if you can’t wait for the actual release, then beta might be an option for you. That’s not hostile toward users - it’s the opposite. There’s no need to excoriate Serif for that. The real hostility I see is in your comment, and it’s unwarranted. 

6 hours ago, Jeff C said:

No kidding. And they know that, obviously. Surely you’re not saying you want Serif to push out a release that hasn’t been fully tested yet... right? That’s what beta is for. It’s part of a perfectly normal software development process. They’re saying if you can’t wait for the actual release, then beta might be an option for you. That’s not hostile toward users - it’s the opposite. There’s no need to excoriate Serif for that. The real hostility I see is in your comment, and it’s unwarranted. 

Pretty sure the current release was published without adequate testing so why not at this point? They probably should have just held off ‘til iOS13 to drop 1.7 since I’m sure yet more issues will arise at that point.

and yeah...I am hostile. I’m pissed off. I, like many others, invested significant time, money, and energy into converting my workflow to AP. It worked fantastically at first. I’m responsible for other converts as I sung its praises endlessly in my circles. Then they broke it, and blamed the failure on a lack of beta testers. With 2M downloads at 20 bucks a pop, surely they could afford to develop a better testing program. I sure as hell am not going out of my way to send sample files and endless screenshots. Not anymore. Most posts have been ignored or deflected that I’ve contributed. Earlier in this thread DM1, aka fanboy #1, told me they wouldnt miss me when I said people will start switching back to Adobe if they dont get the app fixed. That warning wasnt a threat from me as an individual, it was a reality check for devs who dont seem to be taking this issue seriously or with enough urgency. The App store rating IS plummeting, and people like me who need an efficient app to process photos to make money, well, we just cant wait around and help Serif tinker. Time is money and summer is photography season. 

Earlier this year my bank decided to overhaul their software in the middle of tax season, which broke my accounting software and the sync. I fired them and changed banks because of that excruciatingly moronic decision. I see this scenario, the lack of foresite, etc, much the same way. 1.6 would have been just fine until this winter after thoroughly testing 1.7 following ios13. 

Flame me all you want but I know I’m speaking on behalf of many, many, people. Someone had to say it.

On 7/18/2019 at 7:25 AM, xTrinity said:

ipad pro 9.7 wifi 128GB user here

im on ipadOS if that matters,

im having the same issue. i bought affinity photo for ipad to edit raws from my sonya6400,

my current workflow is to upload raws in google drive and make them available offline in ipad gdrive, open in affinity photo and edit,

my additional question is, is it possible to save current raw develop edit without pressing develop yet? when i close the file without pressing develop, it doesnt save in app.

file size per photo is 24mb, 6000x4000. theres not a session when it doesnt lag, im so disappointed, i just bought the app T_T

EDIT: i just offloaded the app, Trying to reinstall again, this timewithout messing with the settings....

or if theres any setting that i can turn on/off to optimize performance (lesser undo, cache), kindly specify.

xTrinity, you are using a Sony camera, so why aren’t you downloading your raw files directly from your camera into Photos?  I have a Sony a7r3 and have been connecting  my camera directly to my iPad Pro 12” 1T, 6gb.  You can download all or just the images you want to work on.   

I’m also using the beta version and like it has been said many times in this forum it’s worth signing up for it.  The images from my camera are 43mp and I have stitched a panos with 7 images, used the HDR merge without any problems, (this images is 1.34GB in size), embedded documents that are fully editable, imported fonts etc.

i haven’t had to reinstall this app.  Granted I have 1T of memory and 6gb of ram but this app is awesome.      

Not quite sure after reading some of the comments on this site what people are talking about.

39 minutes ago, p_mac said:

I am right behind DM1 in being fanboy #1. 

Are you staking a claim to be fanboy #2, then? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

40 minutes ago, p_mac said:

DM1 totally agree with everything you stated in your conversation with the so called ‘professional”. 

I have decided to hide/remove my earlier response. In hindsight I figure everyone is entitled to one bad day and let’s be honest, many people are frustrated with the current release, and with good reason. 

I just hope that last bit doesn’t detrimentally effect my no 1 fanboy status :D

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Are you staking a claim to be fanboy #2, then? :/

:DxD 

10 hours ago, DM1 said:

I have decided to hide/remove my earlier response. In hindsight I figure everyone is entitled to one bad day and let’s be honest, many people are frustrated with the current release, and with good reason. 

I just hope that last bit doesn’t detrimentally effect my no 1 fanboy status :D

Good on the hide but it was fun to read while it was there.xD

To be honest, I am still incredibly frustrated with the beta.  There is still hideous slowdown when working on large documents for a while, that require saving the document, then reopening.  Then saving the document, then reloading.  Then having to quit the app because it won't save the document, then having to redo all the work, hoping it won't crash before saving the document.

The mere act of having to close the picture so that I can "auto save" my work, is a joke.  The current state of the app is shocking compared to 1.6 which was a joy.

@swenpaylay The reality, whether with Serif or any other developer, is that not every bug is caught before release. That's not because of bad testing programs, it's just the nature of software development that you can not catch every bug 100% of the time. This is precisely why you shouldn't upgrade applications you rely on until those new releases have been in the wild for a little while. Surely, if you used Adobe in the past, you were very used to this. I don't know any creative professional (myself included) using Adobe's stuff that upgrades their primary device as soon as a new release comes out. They wait until it's been out there for a little while, and and usually only upgrade one release behind the current.

Bugs are an inescapable part of software, and just like you wouldn't upgrade your OS on the same day you have a deadline to meet, you shouldn't be upgrading apps you rely on until you have some room to rollback if things don't go well.

Turn off your auto-updates. And if the bug is such an issue that you can't work at all with that version, then FFS join the beta program to get the fixed release early, or downgrade to a previous version. You have options, you just don't seem to want to use them. So if you feel like there is a lack of sympathy here, maybe that's why.

Or you can just stay angry I guess, but that doesn't help you, or Serif, or anyone else.