You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Failed to load document: Access to the document file was lost while performing initial loading. The document must now be closed."

After the Affinity Designer update yesterday to 1.7.0 I can no longer open one of my files and I get this error message:

"Failed to load document: "doc name " 

Access to the document file was lost while performing initial loading.

The document must now be closed."

I've tried going into Google Drive to open an earlier version and even then it always comes up with the same error. 

I can see everything open in the file, but it does not allow me access. I have also tried rebooting Affinity, rebooting my Mac, installing Affinity on another machine and nothing works to recover my file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 3.23.18 PM.png

• Staff

Where is the file located?  Is it in a cloud storage managed folder?

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

There is a possibility that your file is corrupted.  Is it possible to provide a link to the file so that I can take a closer look?

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff
16 hours ago, criffel said:

Thanks for checking into this. I am getting the same error with two large branding files that were in my google drive as well. Hoping there is a solution soon.

Not a problem. Would it be possible for you to attach a copy of your files to our internal Dropbox account using the link below please?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/sETPoGPrXESDcASVsoyv

Thanks!

• Staff

@Lapchas

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

We will see if there is something you can change in your document(s) using 1.6.5 that means that it will load into 1.7.x so you can update. Please be aware that if you want to use 1.7.1 or above you can probably just copy the whole 1.6.5 installation application/folder and keep it to one side to edit the older document(s) in and then update the software for use with new projects.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2019 at 3:19 AM, Sean P said:

Not a problem. Would it be possible for you to attach a copy of your files to our internal Dropbox account using the link below please?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/sETPoGPrXESDcASVsoyv

Thanks!

I'm having the same problem. Uploaded the problematic file to that Dropbox link.

For what it's worth I'm using Affinity Designer with Google File Stream. AD and GFS have always had a testy relationship in my experience, but this is the first time it refuses to open a file.

UPDATE: tried opening the file in Publisher and it opened right up. Then tried it in Designer again and it opened right up there as well. I guess Publisher must have sorted something out in the file.

Edited by diego
Added update about Publisher.

• Staff

We have seen some corrupt files from users of GFS.  So far we have not identified how that happens.

The next version of Affinity will have better diagnosis and reporting of corrupted files.  The issue is - if they are corrupted they still cannot be opened, regardless of how we report the issue.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 2 months later...

Just getting around to checking on this because I'm also using GFS and seem to have several large branding files that got corrupted with the same issue. Subscribing here to see if in the future there's any discovered fixes. For now to be safe I'm guessing a better practice is to work off the desktop and copy up new versions to cloud storage? I tried copying the files down locally after I started having some issues to see if it was a connection hiccup based on file size instead of actual corruption but it does seem inherent in the file now.

• Staff

You have to understand that cloud storage (whichever brand) is NOT a backup.  It is not a safe version of a file stored at some specified point in time.  If your local copy of a file becomes broken, for whatever reason, cloud storage will propagate that to all other instances you have, including the server side copy.

For this reason you should not view cloud storage as a mechanism to protect historic versions of your files.  A backup has to be an intentionally created duplicate copy of a file at a given moment in time. You do not work from a backup - you hold it only for the purpose of archiving know versions. It needs to remain safely separated from your working copy.  Cloud storage fundamentally does not achieve this.

Some cloud storage system suggest they offer some form of versioning. I'm not sure about the quality of that over a system tailored for the job.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2019 at 9:32 AM, gracjangk said:

How to downgrade designer to 1.6 if Im using AppStore version?

You can only do this if you still have a backup copy from the app store from before you updated to 1.7 - such as in a Time Machine backup or similar...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

*EDIT* - RESOLVED : ) 

Hi,

I have received the same error message* and, as a result, lost access to a file. This coincided with my internal storage filling up. I wondered if there is any possibility of gaining access to the file again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers - 

"Failed to load document: "doc name " 

Access to the document file was lost while performing initial loading.

The document must now be closed."

Edited by Harrydj

• 1 year later...

Same with 2.0.4, this happens way to often, and I am surprised that this error is years old.

If the document only where closed.. okay, but it typically comes with a data loss, what is unacceptable.

Seems to me like a temporary copy of the file should solve this perfectly fine, if Affinity cant save it under this file name for whatever reasons, simply create a foobar__back.afpub or whatever. Closing with dataloss is the worst case and this kind of errors should be #1 priority.

Yeah.. its so sad.. I really love the Affinity Suite, but especially this bug is so frustrating.. lost 45 min work this morning again. A document I saved yesterday in a perfectly fine state.. now 75% of the images are broken, all content changes from this morning are GONE - also in the "backup"-version. I don't get it.

Just don't use it as storage/linked is recommended

Good hint! thx. The external images are still working, the embeded ones are broken.

OH and I missed the fact, that this thread is for MAC OS. I am on Windows 11, .. so its not only an OS related weird Windows problem, its clearly up to Affinity itself 🥴