You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ford Capri Mk3

sixty12

Hi, 

So this was my first project using Affinity Designer. I wanted to set myself something reasonably complicated otherwise I wouldn't learn anything. I tried not to follow any tutorials I just wanted to see how easy it was to just jump in and give it a go. 

This is a fairly close replica of my father's actual Ford Capri Mk3. I surprised him with a framed copy of it. 

Over all it took around 10 hours I think. 

Cheers.

Capri-In Frame.jpg

FordCapriMk3-A3.jpg

That's like how I started with cars (not that I've really done that many), more like illustrations but took me longer as I'm slow. The only thing I did differently was to add a simple, but pretty unrealistic, reflection to the glass which I thought made it a bit more interesting. It's good, you've worked out how to layer all the parts, which can seem complicated.

Wrigley.jpg

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

Thanks VectorVonDoom. I was toying with Window reflections but in the end I left it fairly simple.  

I have to say your E Type illustration is amazing. Do you use a high res photo's as a reference base? I had only basic reference material as it was a surprise for my father so I couldn't spend the day at his house getting all the finer details I needed.

You're right about the layering. I find it's the easiest way to make selections. I had to treat it a bit like how I work in illustrator, which is naming everything, grouping and layering each section. 

I used to work in freehand back in the day and you never had to worry about layering, it was much easier and faster, but the end results were much more 'vector', which is what I'm used to. So I think there's going to be a bit of a learning curve as this program can give you so much more.

My next personal project is my friend's Mk 1 Mini. I think with that I will spend more time getting the references right so I can get it as accurate as I can.

Cheers.

Yes it was a high res image and if you can't take them yourself then they can be quite hard to find especially if you have a particular car in mind. I start by looking for huge ones, the largest that google or startpage image filter allows, and work down in size. Often I won't find anything though but I only search for classics.  Basically the higher res the better, you can always simplify but its a lot harder to add detail that's not there. 

Yes if you know Illustrator then you basically know AD but the sub objects, or whatever the proper name is, are nice in AD compared to the clunkier way you do it in AI. 

I used to have a MK 2 Mini Cooper and they were so fun to drive. If you google then there are quite a few 20MP+ Mini images, didn't notice any 40MP+ ones.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Love Moggies, My ma had the one with the flip out indicators, it was black with a dark red interior and the smell was just pure moggie.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

pure moggie

I don’t think they had catalytic converters in those days! ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)