You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The new AD download lost my workspace layout. I have now recreated my workspace so how do I save it on my Mac

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

Hi Jackamus,

If you browser to this folder:

/Users/{Your Username}/Library/Containers/

and create a copy of the folder named: com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner

That will backup all your Designer settings :) 

Where do I find the folder to search in?

Is this going to be obvious to other AD users?

Edited by jackamus
additional question

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

Hi jackamus,

Follow these steps:

If you can close Affinity so you are looking at the desktop of MacOS and then do the following:

Hold down Option and click on Go and select Library

That will get you to the main folder, now open the folder called Containers and you should then see the folder named com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner

7 minutes ago, jackamus said:

Is this going to be obvious to other AD users?

I doubt it, it wasn't at all obvious to me.  I hope we can get something added that will allow us to export all of these settings from Affinity without the need to go folder hunting

I'm sorry to sound so obtuse but what 'Option' key?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff
3 minutes ago, jackamus said:

I'm sorry to sound so obtuse but what 'Option' key?

Depending on your keyboard it may be called ALT but should have a symbol of ⌥ on it and should between the Control ^ and Command  key on the bottom left of the keyboard

What do I do with the 'copy'? Where do I past it?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff
1 minute ago, jackamus said:

What do I do with the 'copy'? Where do I past it?

Thats up to you, this is your backup of the settings Designer is using.  So paste it somewhere safe, like a USB memory stick or a folder somewhere on your computer that you'll remember where it is.  Hopefully the Dev team will iron out the issue where the workspace was lost for future updates and you may never need this again, but at least you'll have it on the off chance you do :) 

With the previous AD version I never had to do this. My workspace was always the way I wanted it every time I opened AD.

So what's different?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

39 minutes ago, jackamus said:

With the previous AD version I never had to do this. My workspace was always the way I wanted it every time I opened AD.

So what's different?

It should still be doing that.

The loss of your previous layout should be a one-time occurrence, associated with the update to 1.7. If you quit 1.7 and restart it your workspace you just setup should be fine. The instructions from stokerg are for making a backup copy of the internal files in case something happens in the future and you want to recover your layout

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Right. What you say makes a lot of sense and indeed the new workspace was saved when I closed down AD and reopened it

Everything is hunky-dory again.

PS Walt you look a bit like Burl Ives!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

On 6/7/2019 at 4:58 AM, stokerg said:

I hope we can get something added that will allow us to export all of these settings from Affinity without the need to go folder hunting

FWIW, I am reasonably sure that for the Mac Affinity apps this could be done outside the app with an AppleScript saved as an application. I started a project for that a few years ago but got bogged down doing all the 'bulletproofing' to make sure the script worked on all supported Mac OS versions, used the correct user's container folder as the source, made sure the app was not running so any changes made in it would be part of the backup, & so on.

Aside from that, it should be a relatively easy script to write because all it needs to do is copy the com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner folder in Containers to a different location.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7