You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Denoise on V1.7.0?

I'm using the new Affinity Photo V1.70. With V1.67, the Noise Reduction filter had an extreme setting, which has been removed in the current version. For me personally, it wasn't that big a deal because I had Luminance Denoise set to only 108%. Colour denoise was 17% (no extreme), Detail was 80%, and Contribution was 100%. These settings worked beautifully for the types of photos I was processing. The problem now is that regardless of how I adjust the new Denoise settings, nothing - or very minimal - appears to be happening. The split-screen before-and-after display doesn't reveal any discernible difference in noise reduction. When I use V1.67 on my other Mac (2012 MacBook Pro running Mojave), everything works fine. Is there something that I'm doing wrong with the new version?

I have since discovered that the Denoise algorithm was rewritten to take advantage of the latest GPU. The computer where this is having a problem is a 2007 iMac 24" (supported by Affinity). It is an ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB VRAM. Could this be the reason for the problem described above?

5 hours ago, fde101 said:

You could try turning of metal acceleration in preferences to see if that makes a difference?  There seem to be a lot of issues with that feature right now.

I tried your suggestion and used OpenGL instead (the way it was in 1.67) and noticed that there was noticeable improvement! That's good news, but the bad news is that 1.67 had better noise reduction (at least on my hardware). Thank you for the suggestion. Will continue to use 1.67 until this issue is resolved.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @ocelotito
What Denoise filter are you using? The one in Develop Persona, the destructive filter found in the Filters menu or the Live Filer found in the Layer > New Live Filter Layer menu? Do you mind attaching a sample file (I can provide you an upload link if you wish to keep the file private) for us to check please? We have been receiving a few reports regarding the new Denoise filter but it's not yet clear if there's really an issue and in which cases (it's possible since the algorithm was reworked) as we haven't received enough feedback/samples to help diagnose the possible cause. 

16 hours ago, ocelotito said:

I just noticed the same problem. Just scanned a bunch of old family photos and the scanner is adding a lot of noise. The noise filter is doing absolutely nothing. Unfortunately I bought Affinity through the Mac Appstore and I can't restore the previous version.

You can restore V1.67 if you had a Time Machine backup. You can allow it to keep the latest version and also restore the original. This is what I have done on my old iMac.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, I see Live Denoise filter have huge different under 1.6.7 and 1.7.x versions. Older was better with Extreme option, new version is light for me. :( Please give back older version too to Live filters, I used often. New denoise is useless for me.

I hope in 1.8 versions will add this.