You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Curves Adjustment problem on Photo 1.7.0.367

I need some help and advise.

I just upgraded Affinity Photo from 1.6.5.123 to 1.7.0.367

OS is windows 10 pro 1809 build 17763.529

The upgrade itself ran smoothly - no problems encountered.

I discovered that adding a curves adjustment (ctl-M, or via Layer menu) to a pixel
layer does not bring up the curves dialog - nothing happens - until clicking anywhere
on the GUI: then Photo goes into "not responding" mode.  

I tried this several times with different images and got the same result.  I restarted 
the PC but the problem persists.  I also tried running Photo from a different local 
account, and tried running Photo as administrator to no avail. I've triggered the 
problem and let it grind for several minutes but eventually had to close Photo. 

Thanks in advance for your help ;-) 

• Staff

Hi SteveR_99 and Welcome to the Forums,

16 hours ago, SteveR_99 said:

I discovered that adding a curves adjustment (ctl-M, or via Layer menu) to a pixel
layer does not bring up the curves dialog - nothing happens - until clicking anywhere
on the GUI: then Photo goes into "not responding" mode.  

Odd, as that method is working fine for myself.

Can you try the following which will reset Affinity:

Hold down the Windows key and tap the letter R.  This will bring up the run box.  In here type:
%appdata%

Click okay

A Windows explorer window will open showing you some folders.  Open the folder called Affinity, followed by Photo You should now see a folder called 1.0 . Please right click on this and rename it Old Settings.  

Now start Affinity as normal and try adding the Curves adjustment again using CTRL+M . If that starts working, we can look at getting the folder you renamed in the above steps from you and i can log it with the Dev team :) 

Hi stokerg :)

Thank you for looking into this.

I've renamed the %appdata%\Affinity\1.0  folder as per your instructions.

I did get a EULA on launch of AP 1.7

Curves adjustment (added via CTRL + M)  however the problem is still present.

8 hours ago, stokerg said:

Hold down the Windows key and tap the letter R.  This will bring up the run box.  In here type:

%appdata%

Click okay

A Windows explorer window will open showing you some folders.  Open the folder called Affinity, followed by Photo You should now see a folder called 1.0 . Please right click on this and rename it Old Settings.  

an update...for you:

I uninstalled photo 1.7, restarted computer, installed 1.7 - so this would be a 'from scratch' install, not an upgrade. 

Curves adjustment problem still persists.

Uninstalled photo 1.7, restarted computer, installed 1.7 in a different account (the one used for video editing).  Curves problem persists.

Edited by SteveR_99
provide additional info for stokerg

yet another update:

I updated Photo 1.7.0.367 to 1.7.0.380.  Update ran successfully.  Launched Photo, tried to add a curves adjustment and Photo goes into "not responding" mode.  I noted in task manager that even though Photo was "not responding" it was using 27% of cpu and an instance of crashpad_handler.exe was running in the process stack.  I let this run for 10 minutes and then killed the process.  No diagnostic data found in %appdata%\roaming\affinity\photo\1.0\[attachments | backtrace | reports] .

I'm disappointed that almost a week has passed and, except for an initial "try this",  I've received no response/advice on this problem.  If I'm using the wrong forum to ask for help, please let me know the correct procedure. Based on what I see in the forum, you guys look rather busy with the roll-out of 1.7 B|

The only good news is that I've learned how to have 1.65 and 1.70 co-exist. 

• Staff

Hey SteveR_99,

Your query has been escalated to the developers. We're very busy at the moment so I'm sorry if you've felt like you've been left behind. The problem we're having is that we cannot reproduce this and seeing as there's no crash report being generated it can be very hard to fix.

I am talking with another customer at the moment who's having the exact same issue so hopefully, we can resolve this. 

I would encourage you in the future to post things like this in the bug section where it will be picked up by QA and Dev :) 

Hi Chris B,

Thank you for getting back to me and for the advice on posting to the bug section.  

I believe I've found your thread with the other customer experiencing the curves adjustment freeze and have read through it. My experience is the same as Wolfgang's.  I'm now following that thread and hoping for a resolution.

I understand how busy you all are with the 1.7 release of Photo and Designer and with Publisher about to go live.

Hope to hear from you soon.